(High credibility rumor) The new Leica mirrorless

to summarise: it will be Sony A7 like mirrorless full frame?

SL mount is probably again new one, that can adapt M glass. wish Leica partnered with Sony instead of Panasonic.

We can only speculate.

I don't see a fundamental reason why CMOSIS couldn't design the sensor assembly and oversee the chip manufacturing as it does with the M240.

There was speculation this product fits in-between the M240 and the medium format S. Eliminating the mirror box reduces R&D and manufacturing costs.

On the other hand, if the sensor chip (not the entire assembly) is from SONY, this would be bad news for CMOSIS.

well lets approach this from the reverse side:do we know who made the Q sensor? as that is their latest FF autofocus cam, it seems logical to conclude that it makes economic sense to leverage the new FF af SL sensor off of that.

to summarise: it will be Sony A7 like mirrorless full frame?

SL mount is probably again new one, that can adapt M glass. wish Leica partnered with Sony instead of Panasonic.

Well, if you mean by similar shape maybe... but it will certainly have Leica like external dials, menus, feel, and stuff like that (which to me, is the antithesis of Sony). Heard it's the T mount.

If this is a FF version of Panasonic G series cameras, then Leica has officially entered the video market.

24mp sensor with A7s like ISO performance is the latest rumor.

- Leica Vario-ELMARIT-SL 1:. 2.8-4 / 24-90 mm ​​ASPH
- Leica Apo-Vario-ELMARIT-SL 1: 2.8-4 / 90-280 mm
- Leica Summilux-SL 1: 1.4 / 50 mm ASPH.
- Summilux-TL 35 mm ASPH.
- Macro-ELMARIT-TL 60 mm ASPH.

Good chance M lenses will mount.

Uhoh do you know who is making the sensor? is it the same/similar to the Q?

also, TL is not the same as SL, so will this camera mount new SL line, plus TL line (i assume is for T mount) and M mount and R mount? how would that work as the T line is apsc, right?
thx

The rumor about two new lines of lenses for the camera system is interesting. Assuming the rumors are correct, I hope the final explanation is not a boring one. In the meantime, we can at least speculate.

Clearly the focus is on the SL lenses, which suggests it is likely not a native T mount camera. And calling the second line TL rather than T suggests these are not simply regular APS-C T mount lenses. While it may seem wasteful in the short term for Leica T users, this may allow for a smooth transition to a full-frame version of T (a TL, perhaps) later on. This would then suggest that the Leica SL and Leica T(L) are sufficiently different systems in terms of ergonomics/usability and/or features to justify having both in the market at the same time.

I haven't really taken closer a look into the T mount (I don't know the sensor-to-flange distance, for example), but I guess they could also build a new mount that allows use of two lens systems without adapters. Thus, it could actually be a native T mount with some extra bits and pieces that makes it impossible to mount SL lenses on the original T system camera(s). This would be a more expensive implementation, but Leica may not fret over a couple extra euro spent per camera. There are usability advantages to this approach, but it can also create some confusion.

Uhoh do you know who is making the sensor? is it the same/similar to the Q?

also, TL is not the same as SL, so will this camera mount new SL line, plus TL line (i assume is for T mount) and M mount and R mount? how would that work as the T line is apsc, right?
thx

No clue on the sensor. As to lenses, obviously the SL line is going to mount LOL

The huge question is, will the Ms mount?

Personally, I think this is the difference between a mild success and a big one.

If it is short register like the Sonys, theoretically anything will mount, but you need adapter :)

Hi,

Try as I may, I still can't imagine the words "rumour" and "credibility" in the same sentence; it's an impossible state of affairs.

Regards, David

Back