high end x-pro1?

It depends on how you define quality, perhaps.

I'm not that familiar with digital cameras in general, but I did buy an X-Pro 1, so I'm somewhat familiar with that one. The overall quality of the camera and its image capturing capability is high. I'm basically satisfied with mine. However, it had a few too many loose ends at release that I think reflect quality issues.

For example, the framelines in the OVF are not especially accurate on the X-Pro 1. Autofocusing, especially with the 60mm lens, is slow and it hunts a lot. The video capabilities of the camera seem to be thrown in as an afterthought. There isn't even an external microphone jack. Why bother burdening the camera and my pocketbook with such an ill-conceived and poorly executed frill that can't be put to any serious use? Plus any fault or shortcoming that someone asserts "could easily be fixed in a firmware update" is evidence of a rush to market with trailing loose ends.

I'm sure some people would not consider these faults to be evidence of poor quality, but it's a matter of perspective, certainly.

You can certainly take to task many of the new cameras that have come out...but I find it hard to diss Fuji's offerings. Both the X100 and X-Pro1 are innovative digital cameras that offer useful options that no other cameras offer. I feel we are still in the infancy of digital camera design. I'll take what I can get knowing damn well there is no such thing as a perfect camera and that bugs are just part of the territory when you are using a computer camera.

You can certainly take to task many of the new cameras that have come out...but I find it hard to diss Fuji's offerings. Both the X100 and X-Pro1 are innovative digital cameras that offer useful options that no other cameras offer. I feel we are still in the infancy of digital camera design. I'll take what I can get knowing damn well there is no such thing as a perfect camera and that bugs are just part of the territory when you are using a computer camera.

Really well said.

Really well said.

I second this!

Frankly, I bought my X100 and X-Pro1 not only to use as cameras today (warts, quirks, and all), but to signal Fuji that they're headed in a desirable direction and encourage them to continue developing future cameras along these lines as an alternative to the more mainstream (i.e., Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Sony/Panasonic/Olympus) and/or more expensive (i.e., Leica) options.

Surely a vote with my wallet is far more meaningful to them than some positive internet commentary?

I envision an X200 with a fast zoom lens.
No need for a FF sensor. IQ is high without it on the X-Pro1.
The only reason to offer a FF sensor is if Fuji want to further erode the Leica customer base. But many Leica buyers will only buy Leica regardless of the price.

I second this!

Frankly, I bought my X100 and X-Pro1 not only to use as cameras today (warts, quirks, and all), but to signal Fuji that they're headed in a desirable direction and encourage them to continue developing future cameras along these lines as an alternative to the more mainstream (i.e., Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Sony/Panasonic/Olympus) and/or more expensive (i.e., Leica) options.

Surely a vote with my wallet is far more meaningful to them than some positive internet commentary?

+1

My vote as well... They will never have the economy of scale that Nikon or canon has... Their products are always going to be a bit more expensive... But when u add up what they need to recover from their cost on the R&D work for items such as their ovf and their new sensor, given their projected sales volumes... To me the price is about right, sure I wished it was cheaper, but at end of the day, they need to make money on it...

Gary

I envision an X200 with a fast zoom lens.
No need for a FF sensor. IQ is high without it on the X-Pro1.
The only reason to offer a FF sensor is if Fuji want to further erode the Leica customer base. But many Leica buyers will only buy Leica regardless of the price.

What zoom range and speed?

Gary

I would like to see an X100 with X-Trans sensor and a fixed 35mm equivalent lens. F1.4 or F2 would be good. Better video quality. And if it's not too much to ask, no more fly-by-wire manual focusing.

Lets get one thing straight - the rumor on the linked website didn't mention anything about the high end model being full frame or M mount - that was the OPs wishes and desires. You can bet they won't go past aps-c size for this series of cameras as the lenses are already designed for the aps-c size sensor!

I'd say it would be improved AF, weather sealed, higher MP - that sort of stuff.

+1 ........... if Fuji EVER comes out with RR dRF, it will most likely be a fixed 35mm or fixed 50mm due to
compatibility issues b/w FF sensor and the current APS-C-compatible lenses.

The xp1 and x100 thankfully does not have this problem. On the other hand, the Sony Nex cameras does. My biggest single complaint about the camera series is due to the placement of the video dedicated button and because I tend to carry camera one handed, I cannot remember the number of times I have accidentally activated video and lost a shot waiting for video file to save to flash. There are enough people who have had this problem that there is a hack about gluing a donut type rubber grommet around the button. One of the main reasons I ave moved on fron the Sony Nex series.

Gary

Well now you've really hurt my Nex7's feelings ...... but to be honest, it is probably my biggest
complaint too re: the 7, but it won't make me ditch the camera entirely. I mean, I thought I was picky. :p

mouren said:
And if it's not too much to ask, no more fly-by-wire manual focusing.

That will be tricky. Either you get a lens where (a) the focusing ring on your lens rotates every time you use the autofocus, or you get (b) lenses with complicated mechanics and a clutch-type disengagement mechanism for the focusing ring, or (c) it's focus-by-wire.

Among the three, I would prefer a good implementation of (c).

That will be tricky. Either you get a lens where (a) the focusing ring on your lens rotates every time you use the autofocus, or you get (b) lenses with complicated mechanics and a clutch-type disengagement mechanism for the focusing ring, or (c) it's focus-by-wire.

Exactly right.

Exactly - the wire focus mechanism is by far the best implementation for the design constraints (small lenses!). Manual focus on these cameras is scale focus only. Works brilliantly too!

I just want a more direct connection with the focus control.

Exactly. The X100 focus ring was designed with a smooth damped mechanism that feels just right to me. But the stepper motor action that actualy does the focusing is the opposite of that tactile impression. There is a cognitive dissonance in using manual focus.
There is nothing wrong with 'fly-by-wire' in principle but the mechanism needs some refinement.

Back