Hotels and hotel rooms revisited

Out to Lunch, It's hard to fathom that someone got paid for their 'decorating' skill "Friendship Hotel"
I lived and worked in that region for a number of years and found that this was, more or less, the prevailing standard. There were a few 'international hotels' but they'd charge ridiculous rates. This was the pre-airbnb era and renting a private room proved to be a huge gamble and so, I decided to stick with the standard Soviet-era hotels.

The Rex Hotel in downtown Saigon. Once the venue where the US Army briefed the international press corps on the war -branded by them as the ''Five O'Clock Follies''. Today,
it is a popular business hotel in the center of the city.

I exported these all in one go a few days ago and only slowly uploaded them. I was a bit startled when I started because I really lost track of where they all were.

I think, in this set: Turks and Caicos, California, Germany (somewhere, no idea where: I only know that I didn't take the x100 on many trips besides that, or I suppose it could be Switzerland from around the same time), Wyoming, Oklahoma. Or at least I think that's where they're all from.

med_U68270I1596467778.SEQ.0.jpg

med_U68270I1596467778.SEQ.1.jpg

med_U68270I1596467779.SEQ.2.jpg

med_U68270I1596467779.SEQ.3.jpg

med_U68270I1596467779.SEQ.4.jpg

Evening strollers seen from atop hotel on island of Ortigia in Siracusa, Sicily, Italy
U77I1287651834.SEQ.0.jpg

Leica M8, 28mm Summicron - No UV/IR Cut filter

Hotel Continental, Saigon. During the early 1950s, Graham Greene stayed in room 214, in which he wrote the first chapters of 'The Quiet American'.
In later years, Time and Newsweek had offices on the second floor. Room 214 remains popular with devoted 'Greenelanders'. The Quiet American is
a fantastic novel and I also recommend the 2002 film adaptation, starring Michael Caine and Brandon Fraser.

The view from my hotel room in Budapest -Buda side. Epson R-D1s - CV Nokton Classic 1.4/40.

Yes Budapest is wonderful. Its been 20 years since I was there but I remember it with pleasure. BTW nice photo - is that the rear of the Castle District Hill or perhaps out near Rozadomb?

I do not have any photos of my room (a bog standard room in the Hotel Budapest, a 1960's modernist circular tower) but I will dig about in my collection of shots and see what I actually do have. I do recall shooting a couple of shots out of the window taken with a Canon APC camera (was that what they were called?). I know there is one in panoramic format but need to go hunting to find it.

Ah yes here I have found some with views mainly in or from Buda. All were shot with a Nikon f801s using Ilford XP2 or the Kodak equivalent (I can never recall its name). Sadly many of them have not been scanned in high res but a few have and these ones are not too bad. It was a city, when I was there, that still has evidence of damage from WW2 and the 1956 uprising. I thought of it as being a bit like an elegant old lady who once was a famous young beauty. There was still beauty there - just a different kind.

GzNEfQw.jpg

xvSOqNJ.jpg

SgEV6pN.jpg

eqiMK2M.jpg

Uyaz9Ga.jpg

RDIo9aG.jpg

ulmQzlC.jpg

vD8wxQS.jpg

I found a version of an image I shot from my hotel room in Buda - looking east (?). Unfortunately its somewhat bodged and low res but it gives the idea of what Buda looked like 20 years back - very green with lots of lovely classic Central European homes. (There are many in this area of Buda - I know I spent hours walking the streets).

78qEkUJ.jpg

Back