i get more headaches with film vs digital arguments

To be totally honest I'm getting a bit bored with some of the topics of late...
I too get tired of the "this vs. that" threads or the "tell what I should buy" stuff...How about something like "What I did concerning photography today." And I don't mean "What I bought or found or what someone else is selling..."
Come on guys let's talk photography!!!

"Is a thread boring to you ? be my guest and initiate a more interesting one. Be smarter and throw a good jocke."

well said Ruben.

these film vs digital debates are usually a bore. it's like discussing cars vs motorcycles. debates with no winners.

Further, these kinds of arguments existed for a long time among enthusiasts of photography. I heard there were 1.4 v 1.8 wars, color v. black and white, Nikon v Canon, Zeiss v Leica glass... It would actually make a good event for Wrestlmania with the headline being FvD in a steel cage, no holds barred, Sicilian Stretcher match for da belt.

...and the bartender says we don't serve photographers and the photographer says "You're so negative"

ba-dumpa

To be totally honest I'm getting a bit bored with some of the topics of late...
I too get tired of the "this vs. that" threads or the "tell what I should buy" stuff...How about something like "What I did concerning photography today." And I don't mean "What I bought or found or what someone else is selling..."
Come on guys let's talk photography!!!

Hi Sam,
Of course that each of us has the right to be bored from this or that issue comming back to discussion from time to time, or even more frequently.

And there is nothing wrong in the way you expressed it here, or if you express it amidst the very thread dealing with what bores you. So far we are both ok.

But to my opinion it would be a great mistake if you open a thread against people that have different interests than yours. And of course it would be even worse if instead or presenting an elaborated argumentation that will bring closer those folks, you just express an unclear whym.

Of course you have not done it. But fairness calls us to be on the alert so that no member's right to express himself will be attacked, or witch hunted.

There are several thread I have opened along time, that have been read by a hundred and more folks, without a single opinion being expressed. Threads left with my single OP post. Fine, no problem, we are all adults and I, or anyone in such situation, will survive for sure.

So if someone thinks the issue is of no interest, he should skip it in the same spirit that each of us skip most of the threads by natural selection, each time we open RFF.

But at the same time that you have the right to ignore, you should feel the obligation to defend free speech - as otherwise RFF will become a very bad place and all of us will loose, no matter how happy or unhappy we feel with RFF now.

Among the natural reasons for such obligation is the natural flow of new members which have not participated in all discussion since day one. As a matter of fact many questions do repeat themselves time after time due to the natural inflow of new blood into RFF.

But there is another reason and it is that the very evolution of film and digital is changing us all the time on both directions, so it is only natural that the issue will not be settled but discussed time and again. It is the reflection of a material process taking place around us.

So, since the very issue has been raised, I think there is room and need for you to clearly express that despite some issues bore you - you upheld the right of any member to raise these issues anew, and of course this does not oblige you to particiapate.

Cheers,
Ruben

Last edited by a moderator:
A number of forums have "cracked-down" on the rude and obnoxious behavior that was the norm on the Internet a few years ago. Photo.net, APUG, and a number of other photography sites have taken a heavier hand moderating threads. RFF has maintained a lighter hand in moderating members, thinking that they will moderate themselves. Some like to run amuck, others like to throw out insults, others have a point to make and state it in a way to bang people over the head with their absolute infallibility.

This behavior has become a mainstay of some members posting here on RFF, as they cannot post elsewhere. Because, on other sites, it would not be tolerated.

And on the 300 or so shots taken with my M8 visiting family, most are keepers. Mom and Sis are glad that I went digital and uploaded them to their computer.

Back