• 21mm 1.4

Votes: 18 1.5%
  • 50mm noctilux (any one)

Votes: 78 6.7%
  • Other (precise below)

Votes: 64 5.5%

• Total voters
"If you were to have only one Leica lens which one would you choose/keep?"

. . . it would be the early 1930's "0" serial number lens that I got from my Grandfather.

Attachments

• 1930s 50mm Elmar.JPG
    1930s 50mm Elmar.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 0
Well, my take is from a different angle. If you want to get a feel for 'classical Leica style photography' buy a nice small CV 35 2.5 pancake II or a 50 elmar 2.8 M, 35 summarit/summaron etc. The reason I say this is that I personally and I mean very personally think that small, light, quick handling and always with you is what Leica is about. Altho the 50 1.4 asph may be a dazzling performer it is quite large for a RF 50mm and heavy and incredibly expensive. In order to find out what you can do with your M6, get a nice small 35 or 50mm and do a lot of walking. At this stage forking out on a 50 asph or 35 lux asph would be madness IMO.

Cron 35. It's sharp, fast enough for AL, good to focus, has a nice angle and still compact. There is hardly a photo you could not shoot with it.

I picked 50mm f2 Summicron originally. However,if forced, I would be choosing not among focal lengths but between Summicrons: Collapsible, DR and version III. The DR would win out by a hair.

yours
FPJ

Last edited:
I don't own any Leica lenses (yet) but the one I'd love above all others is the 50 1.4. I reckon paired with a M9 it would never leave my camera.

changed my mind

changed my mind

After getting the CV 50mm f/3.5, I guess I would have to say if only one Leica lens, then it would be the Elmar 90mm f/4 collapsible.
I should add that I'm not a fast lens user, other than the CV 40mm f/1.4. Most of my lens's are 2-3.5 min aperture.

Last edited:
50/1.5 Xenon - not bad for a 74 year old lens.

VinMerVerdun.jpg

The one and only 50mm f/2.0 Dual Range Summicron has a large and loyal following. There must be a reason. Sometimes 30 years old or more is a good thing. Before the Bean Counters and Cost Cutters and Price Pointers got in the way.

Wayne,
There are as many followers of the rigid Summicron for the same reasons. I have never felt the need to get another 50mm Summicron.

I only got 2 Leica lens a 35/2 pre-asph, and a Summarit 1.5, I will pick the Summarit as it is far more entertaining than the cron.

Wonderful photograph, Matt. I chose the 35/1.4 asph, but you make a convincing argument for the asph 'cron.
Thanks Robert, I guess you make best with what you have huh? Fact is they are all great. I shot for years on nikon and canon, pentax lenses (slr), and they are great, but I notice more shadow detail and better exposures in leica lenses. Robert, I dig your website, very very nice work.

Last edited:
Back