Votes: 3 0.3%
  • 21mm 1.4

Votes: 18 1.5%
  • 50mm noctilux (any one)

Votes: 78 6.7%
  • Other (precise below)

Votes: 64 5.5%

• Total voters
If the question was what's my single favorite lens, answer is 50/1.4 asph. But the question is which is the one I would pick if I could only carry one, and that's the 35 lux asph. Whatever flavor of 35 or 50, it's just a matter of getting extra coverage and versatility with a 35. Having 1.4 matters a lot to me. I've never shot with the 35 pre-asph lux, but I sure love the asph version. I have shot with the pre-asph 50 lux and it's great, but I prefer the 50 lux asph which I think is the best lens of all in the 35mm camera format.

If the question was what's my single favorite lens, answer is 50/1.4 asph. But the question is which is the one I would pick if I could only carry one, and that's the 35 lux asph. Whatever flavor of 35 or 50, it's just a matter of getting extra coverage and versatility with a 35. Having 1.4 matters a lot to me. I've never shot with the 35 pre-asph lux, but I sure love the asph version. I have shot with the pre-asph 50 lux and it's great, but I prefer the 50 lux asph which I think is the best lens of all in the 35mm camera format.
50/1.4 ASPH is a majestic formula. Best f/1.4 lens ever computed; truly brilliant.

I agree Boniface.

One theme of this thread I am synching with is that of the 21/1.4 asph being perhaps the "one" leica M lens to own from the point of view of it's uniqueness. I recently acquired this wunderkind. I spent more for it, by far, than any other lens. I was very, very lucky that I put my Leica kit together just before the M8 came out, and at the prices for mint condition used nocti, 35 1.4 asph, 28 cron, 50/1.4 asph, and 75/1.4 I could sell out and take a VERY long vacation! Of course I never would , as working with these gems is what I would want to do on that vacation. ;>) The point, (if there is one) is that I agree the 21 lux provides such a unique signature and set of possibilities that I could make an argument that I could replace the 28/35/50/and 75 leica lenses with Zeiss or CV alternatives, but there is nothing to replace the 21 lux. The leica 24 lux is similar but I think not quite as unique given both leica (28 cron) and non-leica lenses that approximate what it does.

It's not in the poll choice, but I'd go with Elmar-M 50/2.8 if I have to choose only one lens. For my use, F2.8 is fast enough, super small when collapsed, modern yet a bit lower contrast than similar gen 'Cron, 0.7m mini focus, etc.

Give me any 50; my favourite lens by a long shot. But a 50/2 for financial reality and across-the-aperture-spectrum sharpness. I just got a 50/2 Heliar and will be sticking with that as my only M lens for a while. 50s are cool because they represent the least compromise in lens design-- it's hard to find a bad one. Oh yes, I guess I can count my $15 Jupiter-8 50/2 as my other only rangefinder lens.

While I like 50/1.4 for the speed, I don't think I'd go for it even if I could afford it (I didn't spring for a CV 50/1.5 even though I could have). I like 'sharp as possible' from most-open onward. I guess the 50/1.4 ASPH would have been ideal for me, but dwelling in financial reality means that the 50/2 Heliar is my only lens. And that's the way it stays for a while! What a lens.

Noctilux f0.95 ... which I could sell and buy all the Zeiss glass I need!

If I have to choose it would be my 50mm f/2 DR on the M3 and my 35mm f/2.8 Summaron on the screw Leicas.

I think I could live with the 28 summicron, but I would dearly miss having a 50 to switch to once in a while.

50/1.4 ASPH is a majestic formula. Best f/1.4 lens ever computed; truly brilliant.

Well, we can't know that. I imagine that better ones have been computed, but they were either too expensive or altogether impossible to fabricate.

Last edited:
Add a 75 mm lux or cron to your 35. Cron if you have the money.

If not one of them, a 90 mm. Lots of good ones, say a 90 2.8 Elmarit and the visoflex although it works fine just on the camera. You need a universal focus mount to put it on the visoflex.

Last 90 4.0 collapsible is a very nice lens. Same quality a ASPH , just smaller, lighter, and slower.

Last 50 1.4 ie current , is one outstanding lens. The best 50 I ever used. Heavy and expensive. Last version 50 2.8 same quality, but only 2.8.

What's this "If" thing? Due to my financial conditions;), I still own only ONE Leica lens...the Summarit 50mm 1.5, not the newer Summarit, but the 50's model.

And it is amazing!:D

attachment.php

Last edited:
I'm not sure that everyone that replied read OP's post, as there are many recommendations for the 35mm lens. Since he already has a CV 35/1.2, it can do a lot as it is. So, I'd go with either 21mm or 75-90mm lens. Which one? Well whichever you can afford. BTW, Zeiss ZM 21/2.8 is fantastic! For a longer ones - Summicrons are good from what I hear. I'd also look into the NEW Summarits - seem to be good glass. Personally, I like Hexanons, Nikkors and Canons in 85-105 range. If you want a 50mm - how about a Sonnar type lens? Different from your CV 35/1.2 in signature and fun to use, plus fast. ZM Sonnar, Canon 50/1.5, Nikkor 50/1.4 LTM - all good choices.

35mm Summilux Asph

35mm Summilux Asph

By far my favorite lens. Bought it in Dec 09 from Adorama just before the 2010 price increase. It was my best lens purchase ever in 35mm format, including SLR lenses.:)

By far my favorite lens. Bought it in Dec 09 from Adorama just before the 2010 price increase. It was my best lens purchase ever in 35mm format, including SLR lenses.:)

It can't be beat.... unless by the *new* 35 Summilux! :D

Back