I'm thisclose to replacing all my M gear with an X-Pro2

Ken Ford

Refuses to suffer fools
Local time
2:28 AM
I've been in a photographic funk for the last year or so. I went a little crazy after a family tragedy in 2015 and accumulated the M gear I always wanted, but then reality set in and I found I wasn't enjoying using it as much as I thought I would.

Now that my life is back on an evenish keel, I'm casting a critical eye on my photo equipment. I think the Leicas need to go.

My first choice is always my Nikon SLRs - always has been, always will be. I also have a nice Nikon RF kit for when I want to burn film through something other than an F series body. Add to that a good selection of Mamiya 645 gear, and I have SLR and RF silver based stuff set.

I do want to keep a digital direct view camera around, but I can't really justify keeping the M-P 240 and glass for that - maybe not even my trusty M6. I'm thinking all of it will go and be replaced with an X-Pro2 with 23/2, 35/2 and 50/2 which will replicate my long-time 35-75 M kit and add a 50 equivalent. I already have an X-Pro1 with the 35/2, so I know a little bit about what I would be getting into.

It's funny how sometimes you get what you want, but then you find it really wasn't what you need. I think that's what I learned with my Leica buying spree.

It happens sometimes.

I Normally avoid that by the fact I don't have readily available funds for my gear. When I get my eyes on something, I normally first save enough for the item and look for the one I want in the wanted conditions. By that time, usually my mind its cool enough and I either don't buy it or buy and keep that gear for a long time (unless a need arise and I need to sell gear or my wife get in "I need room in the house mood :p)

Don't be down, I assure you it was a good experience (you learned that you don't really enjoy/need the Leica that much) and normally Leica equipment can be sold without too much money lose.

Enjoy your favorite equipment, and above all, enjoy life, cause its too damn short :)

Best regards.

Marcelo

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about the family tragedy that you have suffered.

Ya gotta do what feels right for you.

Agreed.

You gave it a try and it confirmed what has worked for you all along. Do what works for you.

- Murray

Why not just add the 23/2 and 50/2 and keep shooting your XPro1?

Because it seems like the X-Pro2 has some serious handling improvements over the XP1, I've played with the 2 a few times and was impressed. I'd probably keep the XP1 as a backup. Plus, you save money currently when you buy the XP2 and 23 as a kit.

Well, I guess it's better than having first bought the Fuji, then deciding you wanted the Leica instead. At least with the Leica gear, you'll get a good portion of your money back. With the Fuji gear, you need to know it's what you want because there'll be no getting your money back if you decide 6 months down the road that wasn't a good move.

Because it seems like the X-Pro2 has some serious handling improvements over the XP1, I've played with the 2 a few times and was impressed. I'd probably keep the XP1 as a backup. Plus, you save money currently when you buy the XP2 and 23 as a kit.
Certainly, if you think the handling improvements are worth the additional cost, go for it. You do get the 24MP sensor if you print large.

This sounds like a rational mature approach to me.

Certain cameras can be emotional attachments that sometimes become the photographic equivalent of a dead albatross around one's neck!

Like you my first choice was Nikon SLRs. (N2000, 8008s, F3, F5, D1H, D700)

Years ago I bought an XP1 for a lighter weight system. XP1 was fun but I still ended up going to the D700 for times I needed speed.

I eventually moved to the XP2. While the XP1 and XP2 look alike they shoot *very* differently. Think of the XP2 as Nikon SLR type speed in the XP1 type of body. It was so good I sold my D700 and a bunch of my Nikon glass, something I never expected to do.

Control layout on the XP2 is nicer than the XP1 and more customizable as well.

If you like the XP1 you will love the XP2.

Shawn

OP has three lines signature which consist of the gear names. Philosophically it is nothing big to be happen. One line will be rewritten. This is it...

The bigger and bitter part of the story is the current state of camera market. It is only two choices for OVF not stuck in the middle. One is very expensive another is AF.

May the framelines be with you...

Ken, I just sold my M6ttl and M240, two of my M lenses, with more to follow. Plan is to get 1-2 XT2 bodies, replacing my XT1's, then be pretty much Fuji X for most of my small format shooting. It feels good to unload what i haven't been using since i began migrating to fuji almost 3 years back.

Leica doesn't hold the place for me it used to be (exception being the Q). Fuji, Olympus, Sony are now very reasonable alternatives.

The thing about the fujifilms is that they make really superb no-nonsense shooters. They are cheap, offer superlative quality, get out of the way of the shooting experience, and the lenses are superb.

So it sounds to me like your idea is a good one.

Ya know, the M6 is a nice camera to keep around. I can understand wanting to offload much of the Leica M kit if its not being used or spawning creative use, but you might regret not keeping that M6. At least that's my thinking.

Funny thing is, right now in life I'm using the Leica stuff most. No particular rationale to it, but I'm enjoying M stuff for the time being. But....

...People around me absolutely love their Fuji X gear. However, my wildlife photographer friend is unhappy about only one thing with her Fuji X kit -- There is no equivalent to a 300/2.8 lens in that system. The (FF equiv.) 300/2.8 and teleconverter (whether 1.4x or 2x) is a core staple of the wildlife photographer. Closest thing in Fuji-land is a slow-ish zoom (100-400?). Its definitely not the same as a fast 300 to 500mm (FF equiv). I suspect Fuji would attract a whole host of wildlife photographers with the addition of just that one lens.

Enjoy the Fuji experience. Don't worry about the Leica phase. Glad to hear you've made it through a tough time and ready to enjoy photography.

It's funny how sometimes you get what you want, but then you find it really wasn't what you need. I think that's what I learned with my Leica buying spree.

Yep, and I'm a former M user and a super-happy X-Pro2 (and X-T2, X100F, X70) user that loves using the 35mm f/2 and 50mm f/2.

Back