In Solidarity with Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been living in absolute fury each day and crippling sadness each night since this has started. I feel too helpless.
​​​​​​
I mean. A peaceful democratic country full of thriving competent people..... I lose words.

​​​​
During my lifetime I have now witnessed an attempted coup of the US government, the monstrous genocidal actions of an evil dictator in Syria, and now the unprovoked attack of a peaceful European nation by another evil dictator. Interesting how Putin has been involved in all three of these events....

Oh dear.
Putin isn't a fool.
Is what he's doing right?..........everyone has an agenda and so there is the other issue. That is also when when emotions override logic with fact.
There are many factors why he has gone into Ukraine.
Mainly, the Ukraine has constantly been given warnings by Putin not to join NATO. A main factor. The USA being the antagonists.
Another..he will kill all those involved with the slaughter (Odessa 2014) of pro Russian activists...He has taken 8 years of intelligence to get that. The leader of the Azov fighters and the group ...a very sick twisted group of men, who the Ukrainian government does nothing to stop them and their Nazi beliefs.
When all is said and done, many innocent lives will be lost. I have said it before..we don't learn from history.
The Judaea boycott of Germany didn't end well for both sides.

True character shows under pressure... https://www.instagram.com/reel/CajPToKJiMx/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Oh dear.
Putin isn't a fool.
Is what he's doing right?..........everyone has an agenda and so there is the other issue. That is also when when emotions override logic with fact.
There are many factors why he has gone into Ukraine.
Mainly, the Ukraine has constantly been given warnings by Putin not to join NATO. A main factor. The USA being the antagonists.
Another..he will kill all those involved with the slaughter (Odessa 2014) of pro Russian activists...He has taken 8 years of intelligence to get that. The leader of the Azov fighters and the group ...a very sick twisted group of men, who the Ukrainian government does nothing to stop them and their Nazi beliefs.
When all is said and done, many innocent lives will be lost. I have said it before..we don't learn from history.
The Judaea boycott of Germany didn't end well for both sides.

True character shows under pressure... https://www.instagram.com/reel/CajPT..._web_copy_link

what Putin is doing is a war crime. There are no reasons that can justify this. At no point NATO was a threat to Russia. The last person who invaded Russia was Hilter who, at the time, was an ally of Stalin. All this NATO argument is so fake I’m tired to listed to. NATO is an obstacle to restore “the glory” of the Soviet Union because Putin publicly said that collapse of it was “the major geopolitical catastrophe”. He has been pursuing this line since he came to the office. Georgia, Moldova, Crimea, Belarus.
And to your argument about Azov -yes, but all Western democracies have ultra right and in fact the support for ultra right is higher in France than in Ukraine. You don’t start the war because of this and don’t bomb civilian population. And regarding your alleged events in Odessa - I have no idea what are you talking about, but I am wondering what “intelligence” you are referring to? GRU (Russian state intelligence service)? Ir so, I believe them as much as I believe Putin.

what Putin is doing is a war crime. There are no reasons that can justify this. At no point NATO was a threat to Russia. The last person who invaded Russia was Hilter who, at the time, was an ally of Stalin. All this NATO argument is so fake I’m tired to listed to. NATO is an obstacle to restore “the glory” of the Soviet Union because Putin publicly said that collapse of it was “the major geopolitical catastrophe”. He was pursuing this line since he came to the office. Georgia, Moldova, Crimea, Belarus.
And to your argument about Azov -yes, but all Western democracies have ultra right and in fact the support for ultra right is higher in France than in Ukraine. You don’t start the wart because of this and don’t bomb civilian population.

Exactly. As much as I dislike the militarization that NATO entails, Russia's actions perfectly justify the existence of NATO. On the other side, NATO can't justify what Russia is doing in the slightest. How can you justify the threat of using nuclear arms if another country (Sweden/Finland no less) joins NATO? Putin was never afraid of being invaded, he was afraid of loosing the influence (aka grip) that they used to have in other countries. What they always saw as their protectorates.

And who benefits most from all these shenanigans? Military equipment companies. Just great :confused:

Putin wants to restore Russia to the boundaries of the Soviet Union. The Ukraine was ruled by Russia before the revolution of 1917.After the revolution, it was made part of the USSR. Many old-time Russians believe that the Ukraine will always be part of Russia- and do not mean "USSR". The breakup of the Soviet Union is the first time in Centuries that the Ukraine has been independent.

As far as NATO is concerned- it will prevent Putin from moving back into the Eastern European countries that the Soviet Union occupied after WW-II. NATO is not the problem, Putin is.
This will not go well for the Ukraine, and will not go well for the world. Putin has put us back on cold-war footing.

And one comment regarding the history of “independent Ukraine”. One should read some basic history about Kievan Rus’. It all started around Kiev and evolved to what we have now, so honestly, it’s all semantics. Culturally those nations evolved not in sync with political borders. Finland did not exist as “Independent state” before 1918, same as Latvia, Estonia and many eastern European nations. It does not deny their right to exist with the internationally agreed borders after the WWII. Current Kaliningrad (Russia) belonged to Lithuania, parts of France belonged to Germany, part of Russia belonged to Japan etc etc. What would happen to the world if we start revising history and borders based on our sick nostalgia?

Exactly. As much as I dislike the militarization that NATO entails, Russia's actions perfectly justify the existence of NATO. On the other side, NATO can't justify what Russia is doing in the slightest. How can you justify the threat of using nuclear arms if another country (Sweden/Finland no less) joins NATO? Putin was never afraid of being invaded, he was afraid of loosing the influence (aka grip) that they used to have in other countries. What they always saw as their protectorates.

And who benefits most from all these shenanigans? Military equipment companies. Just great :confused:

Our country Sweden is a small country. We now have about 10 million citizens. Small countries are exposed to bullying types and countries like Putin and Russia. President Putin did not like the fact that European countries gave arms to Ukraine. He said yesterday that it will have consequences. It was the first time since World War II that Sweden exported weapons to a country at war. The last time was to Finland when the Soviets attacked Finland.

Many in Sweden are afraid that the war will approach our country. A majority is now in favor of us joining NATO. We small countries must stick together and seek help from large democratic countries such as the US and UK. That's why I like NATO! I remember at school, with my friend the hot-tempered boxer, I escaped the onslaught of bullies. I in turn helped the boxer with his homework so he got into a good college!:D

A photo question: The Russians have taken Chernobyl in Ukraine. According to information, a lot of radioactivity is now going into the air. We know that people are affected and get cancer. Iodine tablets are sold out at the pharmacy here. But how can I protect my stock with film in the freezer? Is the steel plate casing of the freezer enough? What about the sensor in digital cameras? Can it withstand radioactivity? What happens to photographic equipment if the Russians detonate an A-bomb?

It's a bit sleepless at night now ...:mad:

“If there is a solution to a problem, there is no need to worry. And if there is no solution, there is no need to worry.”Dalai Lama XIV

Basically, everything in life, on this earth is Karma.....yes, even the evil that befalls.
We humans really don't like that...doesn't sit well with political agendas ingrained in ones mind.
Hence, be neutral and enjoy your cereal every morning ;)

Karma is about previous actions determining current circumstances, I agree. But more important to me, is what actions (karma) I can take now that will determine future circumstances? Disengagement in the face of atrocities isn't compassionate. More simply: the harder path is figuring out how we can take compassionate action today to help Ukrainians?

Just sold my Kiev4A a few weeks back, very good camera but the whole Contax/Kiev system is not for me.

And one comment regarding the history of “independent Ukraine”. One should read some basic history about Kievan Rus’. It all started around Kiev and evolved to what we have now, so honestly, it’s all semantics. Culturally those nations evolved not in sync with political borders. Finland did not exist as “Independent state” before 1918, same as Latvia, Estonia and many eastern European nations. It does not deny their right to exist with the internationally agreed borders after the WWII. Current Kaliningrad (Russia) belonged to Lithuania, parts of France belonged to Germany, part of Russia belonged to Japan etc etc. What would happen to the world if we start revising history and borders based on our sick nostalgia?

Actually, the Kaliningrad enclave is the northern part of pre-WW II East Prussia, so it had been German previously. East Prussia was separated from the rest of Germany after WW I by the area known as the "Free City of Danzig" (now Gdansk and environs, in Poland). Hitler of course wanted to get that area back, ostensibly to "protect" the ethnic Germans living there. Sound familiar?

Many if not all place names in Kaliningrad have become Russian (Kaliningrad was Koenigsburg; Chernyakhovsk was Insterburg) and I think virtually all the ethnic German inhabitants fled to the West. But at one time or other in history, East Prussia has been Polish or Lithuanian as well.

Seems to me it would be appropriate for NATO to take over Kaliningrad and give it to Poland and/or Lithuania.

Actually, the Kaliningrad enclave is the northern part of pre-WW II East Prussia, so it had been German previously. East Prussia was separated from the rest of Germany after WW I by the area known as the "Free City of Danzig" (now Gdansk and environs, in Poland). Hitler of course wanted to get that area back, ostensibly to "protect" the ethnic Germans living there. Sound familiar?

Many if not all place names in Kaliningrad have become Russian (Kaliningrad was Koenigsburg; Chernyakhovsk was Insterburg) and I think virtually all the ethnic German inhabitants fled to the West. But at one time or other in history, East Prussia has been Polish or Lithuanian as well.

Seems to me it would be appropriate for NATO to take over Kaliningrad and give it to Poland and/or Lithuania.

Or maybe they want a referendum like in Crimea? :) This really proves how dangerous this kind of thinking can be…

A photo question: The Russians have taken Chernobyl in Ukraine. According to information, a lot of radioactivity is now going into the air. We know that people are affected and get cancer. Iodine tablets are sold out at the pharmacy here. But how can I protect my stock with film in the freezer? Is the steel plate casing of the freezer enough? What about the sensor in digital cameras? Can it withstand radioactivity? What happens to photographic equipment if the Russians detonate an A-bomb?

The passage of mechanized forces through the area, disturbing the soil and stirring dust is likely the cause of the rise in detected radiation. I doubt it will spread beyond the local region. A strong rainstorm is likely to bring down that 'hot' dust quickly.

The areas adjacent to the Baltic Sea were always very ethnically and religiously diverse and were part of the Hanseatic League of city states. Prussia, to the best of my knowledge, was primarily German-speaking ever since medieval times

The passage of mechanized forces through the area, disturbing the soil and stirring dust is likely the cause of the rise in detected radiation. I doubt it will spread beyond the local region. A strong rainstorm is likely to bring down that 'hot' dust quickly.

The areas adjacent to the Baltic Sea were always very ethnically and religiously diverse and were part of the Hanseatic League of city states. Prussia, to the best of my knowledge, was primarily German-speaking ever since medieval times

Prussia used to be something different before it became the “German Prussia”. Old Prussians were Baltic Tribes (and spoke Prussian which is now extinguished Baltic language) that were conquered by Teutonic order.

Lead is best. There are lead-lined bags available for film. They are of little use as protection from airport x-rays, because the operator won't be satisfied until they find out what's in the bag; but I believe they would be helpful for radioactivity.

But if radioactivity is a concern, I think protection of the photographer and family should be a higher priority! (That goes double if the Russians detonate an A-bomb!)

You seem to be unaware that the important risk is to your own safety. The cameras can be replaced. You can never be.

Lead is best. There are lead-lined bags available for film. They are of little use as protection from airport x-rays, because the operator won't be satisfied until they find out what's in the bag; but I believe they would be helpful for radioactivity.

But if radioactivity is a concern, I think protection of the photographer and family should be a higher priority! (That goes double if the Russians detonate an A-bomb!)

You seem to be unaware that the important risk is to your own safety. The cameras can be replaced. You can never be.

that increase in Chernobyl is minimal (if any). That should not raise any concern considering other risks right now…

Our country Sweden is a small country. We now have about 10 million citizens. Small countries are exposed to bullying types and countries like Putin and Russia. President Putin did not like the fact that European countries gave arms to Ukraine. He said yesterday that it will have consequences. It was the first time since World War II that Sweden exported weapons to a country at war. The last time was to Finland when the Soviets attacked Finland.

Many in Sweden are afraid that the war will approach our country. A majority is now in favor of us joining NATO. We small countries must stick together and seek help from large democratic countries such as the US and UK. That's why I like NATO! I remember at school, with my friend the hot-tempered boxer, I escaped the onslaught of bullies. I in turn helped the boxer with his homework so he got into a good college!:D

Yes, the Winter War, three months that should give us all hope that Ukraine with come out of this the same way. Russia does not have any attacking them now so they are not fighting on two fronts.

If this goes nuclear it depends upon many issues, first not all A-bombs are the same. Some are low yield and called more tactical. It's still going to really mess up lots of the earth and everything alive. Sweden is out of the first pass of fallout drift as it goes around the world, but I have no idea on how wide the dust will be drifting when it comes around again. Air travel, lots of manufacturing, Chernobyl might look like a walk in the park on a sunny spring day. China and LOTS of the world IC manufacturing may be in the first cloud run.

If you can buy some of those old lead lined bags for film and incase the film you have in the freezer that should work.

Be safe, stay healthy and try to have fun every day.

B2 (%-O

Karma is about previous actions determining current circumstances, I agree. But more important to me, is what actions (karma) I can take now that will determine future circumstances? Disengagement in the face of atrocities isn't compassionate. More simply: the harder path is figuring out how we can take compassionate action today to help Ukrainians?

Compassion and the intelligence of leaders to cease.....But is it going to happen?
Then there is the other side of the Karma coin....actions have consequences, and they have to be paid.
One of the USA Presidents (Trump) at a joint meeting with NATO leaders, looked Jens in the eye and told him that Germany, a NATO member, dealing with Russia and giving them billions of dollars was dangerous....and many other EU nations....He was firm in describing that scenario....Did THEY LISTEN to him...No, because Trump was a mad man, a fool and whatever the American media said he was. NOW the consequences have to be paid....Compassion or no compassion is not the subject here.

Prussia used to be something different before it became the “German Prussia”. Old Prussians were Baltic Tribes (and spoke Prussian which is now extinguished Baltic language) that were conquered by Teutonic order.

You're right. "Prussia" comes from "Borussia" -- "next to Russia," which is a West Slav word originally. Now it lives on in Borussia Dortmund and Borussia Moenchengladbach, which are nowhere near Russia, but Prussia pre-unification of Germany extended from northwestern Germany over to the east. And those Germanic-speaking Teutonic Knights tried to invade Russia but were defeated by Aleksandr Nevsky and his forces. Check out the Sergei Eisenstein movie -- Soviet patriotic and anti-German film. Remarkable cinematography and great score by Prokoviev.

One of the USA Presidents (Trump) at a joint meeting with NATO leaders, looked Jens in the eye and told him that Germany, a NATO member, dealing with Russia and giving them billions of dollars was dangerous....and many other EU nations....He was firm in describing that scenario....Did THEY LISTEN to him...No, because Trump was a mad man, a fool and whatever the American media said he was. NOW the consequences have to be paid....Compassion or no compassion is not the subject here.

He sure as heck isn't much of a business man. If he was it would have figured out a way for America to sell gas to the EU and come out smelling like a rose. This has nothing to do with the pipelines, this would have happened if they were there or not.

B2 (%-O

Reactions: DwF
He sure as heck isn't much of a business man. If he was it would have figured out a way for America to sell gas to the EU and come out smelling like a rose. This has nothing to do with the pipelines, this would have happened if they were there or not.

B2 (%-O

The cheapest way to transport gas is by pipeline, not LNG carriers out of the Persian Gulf or the Gulf of Mexico. The only other viable alternatives at present for Western Europeans are the planned pipelines from reserves in the Eastern Mediterranean lying within Cypriot, Lebanese and Israeli territorial waters. The plan afoot is to pump the gas to Greece and distribute it from there. The Cypriot reserves are contested by the Turks and complicates matters.

The cheapest way to transport gas is by pipeline, not LNG carriers out of the Persian Gulf or the Gulf of Mexico. …….

Freedom Is not free.

It comes at a price, often a wide range of ways people pay for it.

Sadly it seems that the price keeps
going up and it takes longer as time goes on.

Once you have it you must be ever ever vigilant and ready to pay again as often people seem to want to take it away.

b2 (;->

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back