Inexpensive Chinese Contax Mount to LTM- Maybe a little work required.

I wonder why he could not get the J-12 and 135/4 Sonnar to mount.

I had to undo the set screws and reposition the adapter to work with my 13.5cm F4 Sonnar and 8.5cm F4 Triotar. Once set with the 135/4, the Triotar mounted without problem.

Hello Raid,
try it again a couple of times . I do not have a J8 lens yet have found that some 5 cm Nikkor lenses fit better the Amedeo S to M adapter than others. I have a couple of these adapters since the rf coupling is not always consistant out of manufacture and as you experienced some of these worn vintage lenses might fit better than others .

Hi. I meant the cheap $70 adapter.

I did not have a problem with the Nikkor 5cm F1.4. What happened when you tried removing the J-8? It could be the lock tab is too thick, I've seen that before.

I may have pushed the adapter to much at the lens rear, and I may have turned it too hard. I will next try doing this gently.

I looked up FotoFox on Google and one of the top search results is this album on Flickr (not mine). One of the photo descriptions links to a blog post:
https://jelabs.blogspot.com/2020/02/...ca-thread.html

I thought the username looked familiar, and connecting a few dots, it's forum member je2a3's album and blog. He may be able to share more thoughts on the adapter?

Not much more to add to what I had already written in that blog. The last time I used the Fotofox was last summer and for my casual use I'm still happy with it. Lots of great info written by Brian, thanks!

I wonder why he could not get the J-12 and 135/4 Sonnar to mount.

I had to undo the set screws and reposition the adapter to work with my 13.5cm F4 Sonnar and 8.5cm F4 Triotar. Once set with the 135/4, the Triotar mounted without problem.

I haven't tried using the Kiev J-12 and 135 Sonnar on the Fotofox again, but I will keep your tips in mind. Great info Brian, thanks again!

Here is my Amedeo 50mm adapter Contax to M.

IMG_4233-X2.jpg

IMG_4234-X2.jpg

Could someone who has used an Amedeo adapter for 50mm Contax to M advise me how to correctly mount the lens on the adapter so that the lens sits tight there. I fear that the lens can drop off.

Here is a cheap J-8M

amedeo-adapter-X2.jpg

Raid- the Latch on the adapter turns, flip it up then turn the lens into place so the locking tab of the lens goes past the latch. Then let the latch lock the Tab into place.

Raid- the Latch on the adapter turns, flip it up then turn the lens into place so the locking tab of the lens goes past the latch. Then let the latch lock the Tab into place.

Thank you Brian!
I tried it and it works well .
i am starting out with the Zeiss Sonnar 5cm 2 that I recently bought: it is lower contrast than the Zeiss Planar 45/2 gor the G1.

I mounted the Nikkor-S 5cm f1.4 on the Fotofox adapter and put them on a Canon VI-L. Had no problem focusing, although the pics below were taken stopped down rather than wide open and close up. It looks like a decent adapter, especially considering how little it costs. First pic below: focus was on the end of the right hand railing.

All photos below: Canon VI-L, Nikkor-S 5cm f1.4, Fotofox Nikon-S to LTM adapter, CineXX film shot at iso 200 and developed in D96 Monobath for 7 mins.:

F9EBCE8A-1572-4988-9C63-86F2C6BBEA92.jpeg 2B55D23E-26A6-4CE1-88EC-4E899D355288.jpeg DA8E5A6C-87EB-4142-A817-E5366DCF5C81.jpeg

Everytime I think about the Contax/Nikon incompatibility and why this adapter works with Nikon Internal Mount lenses and Contax external mount lenses- my head hurts. BUT- that is because the RF cam is not indexed and the adapter is made to translate the full rotation of the Contax external mount to the the RF cam calibrated for 51.6mm.

Those Fotofox adapters are a good deal considering that they appear to work well. I would probably get one if I already did not own several other brands

Everytime I think about the Contax/Nikon incompatibility and why this adapter works with Nikon Internal Mount lenses and Contax external mount lenses- my head hurts. BUT- that is because the RF cam is not indexed and the adapter is made to translate the full rotation of the Contax external mount to the the RF cam calibrated for 51.6mm.

So for the Helios 103 lens to work and focus well with that cheap Fotofox adapter the Helios 103 needs to be adjusted...can you show us how you adjust that lens to work well with the Leica standard...one time you mentioned loosening 3 screws and backing the rear lens block one half turn..can you show us where these screws are and the lens block that is backed out ?

Yes- it was easy, loosened the two screwed holding the barrel into the mount and unscrewed 1/2 turn. The set screws went back into the taps. I did this to use the Menopta and Helios lenses on the Nikon RF.

Yes- it was easy, loosened the two screwed holding the barrel into the mount and unscrewed 1/2 turn. The set screws went back into the taps. I did this to use the Menopta and Helios lenses on the Nikon RF.

Thank you, Brian...is there any way you can post photos of the screws holding the barrel and what the mount or rear lens block that you unscrew one half turn looks like? It is kind of important for me as I got 2 Helios 103 lenses that I like to set to a Leica standard..one to use on my Nikon S2 and another one for that Fotofox adapter for LTM Canon camera use, I would be much obliged if you can clarify this procedure for me.

Back