Is it allowed to use an M camera during a concert?

Raid, you probably already know this, but you might want to bring a pair of ear plugs with you to the show. I don't mean to block out the music, but rather to reduce the volume. I know that I can no longer stand extremely loud music, and I have heard that her show trends pretty loud. I don't go to shows without a pair in my pocket anymore.
Great idea, Henry. Thank you. I need to remember this tip next year.

This brings up the question of who owns the images if they perform in public as opposed to a closed venue?
Good question. Clearly, performing for the public on private property gives the organizers full control of what's allowed. But a performance on public property at a waterfront park might be a different matter. Even so, somehow I think the organizers and performers still get to control these matters.

It seems like it's the venues that make the rules. Although I know artists agree with video and photography restrictions.
Quote:
Small compact cameras, a size that would fit in a pocket, are allowed at most of our events.
Professional type cameras (SLRs with interchangeable lenses) are not allowed, with the exception of official photographers covering the event. Video cameras and professional audio recording equipment are not allowed either.
I wonder what they'd do upon seeing a Pentax Auto 110; I've made some spectacular photos with mine.

As a musician, 30 years ago we used to play a show and have the audience's undivided attention. It's a shame now we look out into the audience and see a sea of people holding phones in front of their faces. Apparently the need to post a clip to Instagram trumps enjoying the music you paid a lot of money to hear.
I agree completely. I sometimes wonder what their plan is: are they going to go home and listen to the show they would have heard live if they weren't paying attention to their phones? It doesn't bother me if people take pictures or record a song or two, but it's hard to establish any kind of rapport with an audience when people are videoing the whole thing. Isn't interaction why you go to a live show in the first place?

Good question. Clearly, performing for the public on private property gives the organizers full control of what's allowed. But a performance on public property at a waterfront park might be a different matter. Even so, somehow I think the organizers and performers still get to control these matters.

I wonder what they'd do upon seeing a Pentax Auto 110; I've made some spectacular photos with mine.

This is difficult. The general rule is that photos can be taken freely in public. I am sure lawyers could tangle it up in litigation if they cared to. Does picking up an instrument change the rules/law?

As for the Pentax question, I might get away with it with the Pentax Q-S1 which punches well above its weight. Truly pocket size. And with lens in one pocket and body in another hard to detect. Has a decent tele-zoom, too. But I ain't going to no mass rock concerts. And I just do not get Taylor Swift at all. I wonder what she sounds like without the electronics?

This is difficult. The general rule is that photos can be taken freely in public. I am sure lawyers could tangle it up in litigation if they cared to. Does picking up an instrument change the rules/law?
I like US law whereby if something like a building, dam, or airport runway is visible from a public space, it can be photographed - at least if it's not for publication or profit. So, I'd think any performance on public ground should be ok to photograph. Yet, I'm expecting to be told otherwise.

... And I just do not get Taylor Swift at all. I wonder what she sounds like without the electronics?
I'm sure her voice is so sweet she could charm the rings off a raccoon's tail.

I like US law whereby if something like a building, dam, or airport runway is visible from a public space, it can be photographed - at least if it's not for publication or profit. So, I'd think any performance on public ground should be ok to photograph. Yet, I'm expecting to be told otherwise.

I'm sure her voice is so sweet she could charm the rings off a raccoon's tail.

I'd like to hear her sing without Auto-tune and the other electronic gimmicks. Let's hear her sing without a mic. That's how to judge. Otherwise it is the folks doing the mixing. A lot can be done to enhance performances, just like post in photography.

I'd like to hear her sing without Auto-tune and the other electronic gimmicks. Let's hear her sing without a mic. That's how to judge. Otherwise it is the folks doing the mixing. A lot can be done to enhance performances, just like post in photography.
Tiny Desk, though I haven't listened to it myself.

Not my thing but Taylor Swift can sing.. My favorite Tiny Desk performance is by Belgian singer Stromae:

On the jazz front, there are Emmet Cohen's house concerts. This one with Patrick Bartley who delivers a shredding alto sax performance.

Cheers, OtL

Last edited:
In my experience, being able to use a rangefinder camera at a concert depends mostly on the individual who performs the security search. It's impossible to predict if a small camera makes it through .

I went to a venue with large signage stating no professional cameras were allowed. I was not challenged by security when they looked in a small camera bag that contained a Zeiss Ikon M and two compact M/LTM lenses. In general it seems small cameras and lenses are perceived differently than large bodies (especially DLSRs) and large lenses.

I was never challenged by the public or by security wherever I had my chrome FUJIFILM X-100. I confess when a security or a stranger assumed it was a film camera, I did not correct them.

I was doing a street photography documenting fans assembling and entering a sports arena holding a NCCA, Final-Four Regional Championship game. I asked permission to photograph a father and college aged son with unique face paintings themed with their team's colors. I was using the Zeiss ZM again with a short telephoto lens. The Dad answered, "I'm not sure. What about the internet?" I took an unused roll of film out of my pocket and said I'm using a film camera. He smiled and said, "Oh, OK".

Smart phones with high performance cameras are never excluded from entertainment events. Some of these can out perform many still cameras. These offer 48 to 50 MP sesnors with an option for raw capture. Pixel binning lets you choose between maximum image resolution (no binning), low- light performance (high SNR due to 4X binning) or 10-12 MP images with real-time, on-sensor cropping to simulate telephoto lenses.

I've thought about bringing mine, though haven't (yet) done so. Even the 70mm lens (140mm equivalent) is quite small! (Hard to focus though.)

I went to a Bob Dylan concert in Dayton in the early 90’s, security patted me down and found the M3 I had brought along. They told me to take it back and put it in my car which presented a problem since I had taken the bus. They said that’s ok we will just take the batteries out of it, we’ll that presented a different problem. I finally left it as the security station after making them sign a paper stating that it belonged to me. It was a great concert and I had tickets in the third row center but when I when to pick up the camera a security guard was trying to give it to some guy that had brought a single use Kodak

I thought about going to a Mariners game, but the Mariners' stadium website and the MLB website give ambiguous information.

I never went because ultimately it would depend on the people at the gate.

Maybe I could go with an Exakta and a 180mm lens. But maybe they'd be confused about what they were looking at and might think it's a weapon.IMG_0406.jpeg

I thought about going to a Mariners game, but the Mariners' stadium website and the MLB website give ambiguous information.

I never went because ultimately it would depend on the people at the gate.

Maybe I could go with an Exakta and a 180mm lens. But maybe they'd be confused about what they were looking at and might think it's a weapon.View attachment 4824583
I've never had an issue with bringing my Leica or various digital (Oly E-M1 & Sony A7riii) to an M's game. Even with a small telephoto. Here's an M6 with 35mm:

U2727I1358305108.SEQ.0.jpg

I was at an out door concert 3 years ago and went to take a picture with my Fuji X-E3 & 50mm lens. Security was on me like flies on you know what. Everyone was taking pictures with their cell phones so I did the same. Makes no sense what's so ever.
Same thing happened to my son at a concert in Fort Worth. Only the venue management took his SL2-S with a 50 chron and put it in the safe until after the concert. The manager was near where my son and friends were sitting He made sure the manag was aware of everyone with their phones taking pictures

Not long ago I went to a concert in DC & I was told I could not bring a camera into the arena. (I did not have a camera.) I think it depends upon the venue but they can't stop a person from bringing in a cell phone and everyone is taking pictures with cell phones. WTFP let people bring cameras.

This was two nights ago in Bend, Or for Tears For Fears. This guy had a LUMIX super zoom type camera. He held both camera and phone up often sometimes blocking my view of the stage, but I too did the same to video tape a few songs for daughter who couldn’t go. I left my Leica M240 behind since we Uber’d to the venue. We had great seats and I’m happy with the video and photos I took.

Back