It's not hoarding if it's cameras or fountain pens.

Can we please add radios (amateur, ham, scanners etc.), and MAD Magazines :)

This concept can be reduced to a universally applicable mathematical formula or theorem which hold that the number of cameras (fountain pens, bicycles, or whatever other item brings one joy…) that one should own is always equal to n + 1, with n being the number of that item that one presently owns.

This concept can be reduced to a universally applicable mathematical formula or theorem which hold that the number of cameras (fountain pens, bicycles, or whatever other item brings one joy…) that one should own is always equal to n + 1, with n being the number of that item that one presently owns.
I don't understand math at all, but I perfectly understand this.

I won't let my fountain pen collecting get out of hand, but I've decided when I visit a significant new place, and I find a pen store, I have to get a new one. It started visiting Boston in 2019, and earlier this year visiting Athens, Greece I saw a pen shop and realized I needed to make it a tradition.

I moved from Parker to Pelikan. I have two Parker 51s and a 75. I have six Pelikans. I claim this is not a collection. I use the Pelikans, daily. My 15 or so cameras are the same. Not used daily, but not a collection. I am not a hoarder. Shoes lined up like boats in a marina. Not a collection. Three whole wall bookshelves in three rooms of the house and books in piles as well: library, not collection. Books can’t be hoarded.

N = n + 25 for pens where N is the number for a collection and n is the number of pens you use. They can’t be hoarded as they are too easily housed.

Bicycles and bicycle parts quickly propel one to hoarder status for the conspicuous display of the madness and the extreme inconvenience the cranks cause to family, visitors and attending tradespeople. even without pedals. Or especially without pedals. But acquiring a number of much larger wheeled vehicles, cars, seems to avoid attracting the same notice and attention to one’s mental state, as they belong outdoors. The diagnostic exception is even one car indoors, as in inside the house.

Hoarding is in the eye of the beholder (i.e. the spouse or whoever has to deal with your stuff after you're gone).

Fountain Pens? Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! I already hoard, I mean collect cameras, watches, bourbon and cameras, scotch, and books. No fountain pens!!!!! (BTW how does one start with them?)

Fountain Pens? Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! I already hoard, I mean collect cameras, watches, bourbon and cameras, scotch, and books. No fountain pens!!!!! (BTW how does one start with them?)
See agentlossing's post, above! Like anything else, it just creeps up on you. It's a bit like being adopted by a stray cat; you have no choice!

The shark fountain pens mentioned in the moleskine thread are prescribed as a form of methadone.

This therapy is exclusive of ink condition fed by the vicious dealer, gouletpens.com. One sample set and you’re on the way to perdition.

It seems to be common for people who like types of objects to acquire multiple versions/types if they can. Cameras, watches, pens, notebooks, books in general, guns, knives, model figures, Lego, handbags, shoes, motorbikes, cars ...

Like someone else said, it's hoarding if it causes issues, and collecting it if doesn't. I've seen hoarder's houses personally, and it's not pretty. I've also seen superb collections, everything displayed and organized, and it is a joy to behold.

When I got my first digital camera, I marveled at the people who had a number of cameras. Pocket cams for fun, a DSLR for serious shooting, and (gasp) a full frame camera which meant they were really serious. Years later, I was one of these people, and still am. Cameras can be tools to achieve objectives, toys to fondle, or objects to collect like Pokemon.

I feel like as long as a collection is enjoyed, either individually or as a whole, and it doesn't cause issues like the floor caving in, attracting rodents or initiating bankruptcy, then it's okay.

It seems to be common for people who like types of objects to acquire multiple versions/types if they can. Cameras, watches, pens, notebooks, books in general, guns, knives, model figures, Lego, handbags, shoes, motorbikes, cars ...

Like someone else said, it's hoarding if it causes issues, and collecting it if doesn't. I've seen hoarder's houses personally, and it's not pretty. I've also seen superb collections, everything displayed and organized, and it is a joy to behold.

When I got my first digital camera, I marveled at the people who had a number of cameras. Pocket cams for fun, a DSLR for serious shooting, and (gasp) a full frame camera which meant they were really serious. Years later, I was one of these people, and still am. Cameras can be tools to achieve objectives, toys to fondle, or objects to collect like Pokemon.

I feel like as long as a collection is enjoyed, either individually or as a whole, and it doesn't cause issues like the floor caving in, attracting rodents or initiating bankruptcy, then it's okay.

A number of years ago, I went back and reacquired every great camera I ever owned my five decade journey in photography. These were relatively cheap on fleaBay and my goal was to find the exact model, lens, color, featureset I originally owned, get them working, and then USE them.

Over the next five years or so, that's exactly what I did and boy was it Big Fun (tm). I learned a bit about camera repair and maintenance and got back in touch with the equipment that brought me so much joy over the years. More importantly, with the benefit of many years more experience, I was able to make them do things I never could back 40+ years ago. Imagine my discovery that the equipment is rarely the problem ;)

I am now in the phase of selling much of this off. I did what I wanted with the gear, had a blast. But, I am selling off individual pieces of now fully functional stuff because, well, I don't need 7 Nikon film bodies, 3 different 6x6 systems, 2 645 systems, 2 6x9 cameras etc.

I will end up with my core set of great cameras and lenses plus a few new friends I always wanted but couldn't afford back in college. I've recently added a Leica M2 and M5 with some really nice Leitz glass, as well as a Fuji GW690II with almost no clicks on it. That will get me down to a critical dozen cameras ... which is all I will ever need. Really, I promise, I'm done . Ohhhhh look, there's a pristine M4 for sale ... gotta run ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back