July 2014: The end of the Epson R-D1 series

Versatility. Image quality. Sensor size. Lens selection. And marketing.

The R-D1 was/is a great camera with which to shoot. I sold mine for an X-camera because I needed a work camera. Fuji makes those. Epson never really did.

M's were not work cameras? How is R-D1 different? I found the X line more difficult to work with, but this is subjective.
Sensor size is equal.
Lens selection is much (much) larger for R-D1.
Image quality was very similar to the M8, but I agree 6MP was limiting sometimes.
Marketing is what made a big difference.

I wish they had put the sensor of the GXR-M in there.

If I remember correctly, the RD-1 was discontinued in 2007. Only in production for 3 years. The RD-1x and RD-1G, were discontinued in 2009. All were made by Cosina. I can't read Japanese, but most likely it might mean that Epson/Cosina is no longer servicing or supplying parts.

Maybe Stephen can enlighten us....

If I remember correctly, the RD-1 was discontinued in 2007. Only in production for 3 years. The RD-1x and RD-1G, were discontinued in 2009. All were made by Cosina. I can't read Japanese, but most likely it might mean that Epson/Cosina is no longer servicing or supplying parts.

Maybe Stephen can enlighten us....

This page...

http://www.epson.jp/support/shuri/10_digital_camera.htm

...provides service information for the various R-D1 models. The first column after the model name indicates the last date of service. If they've kept to this schedule - the information is specified as "as of 2011/10/4" - then the R-D1 is no longer serviced. The R-D1s is serviced until the end of Sept 2016, and the R-D1xG doesn't have an end-date specified yet.

The confusion about the R-D1/s/x in the English speaking world is probably mostly due to Epson's lack of marketing outside of Japan. It was non-existent inside Japan as well, but at least interested locals can read Epson's Japanese language website :p

The Epson R-D1x was released on April 9th, 2009 in Japan. I don't think it was ever available outside of Japan through official channels.

According to ebay, as of today, you can buy a new Japanese R-D1xG for $1680 USD or a used Japanese R-D1s (i.e. >5 years old) for $1048 USD. That is retaining around 60% of value after 5 years, in a digital camera. Frankly, that's astonishing. And particularly astonishing when you consider that the film version (Bessa R2) is worth <$300 and any other 6MP camera of the same age is worth around the $300 level as well (e.g. Pentax K100D).

It's a very nice design, and it's the most affordable digital rangefinder camera in a market that is saturating rather slowly. That keeps the price up. The DSLR and mirrorless markets are saturated. There are many good cameras that you can only get some change for, and new models are coming out as I write this short post.

The only real issue with R-D1 is the sensor performance which is really starting to fall behind from the practical point of view. I don't mean this so much in terms of image quality, 6 MP continues to be plenty for many (most?) applications provided you frame it well. And while this is no high-ISO monster, it is quite usable where there is some light (a nice concept for photography anyway). But it is 6 MP with a severe crop and too much vignetting vs. what, say, Sony has out these days. While Sony has performance issues with wide M mount lenses, the Epson was always a bit limited in sensor performance, too. The only new lens that upgraded the Epson performance is the Voigtländer 21/1.8. And it's a very moderate wide angle on R-D1 with no framelines.

The R-D1 is a beautiful camera that deserves an updated sensor and more viewfinder options. Looking at what the market offers, this camera still offers what makes sense for many of us. I think very few people who have spent years with this camera would disagree.

I think the new price for the RD-1xg is superb, sure it's 6MP, but if you're printing 10x8, that's fine. Yes, the high ISO is nothing compared to newer cameras, but it's not like nights have got darker over the past few years.

I'm not a digital user, but I must say, the RD-1 is still just such an appealing camera.

My early R-D1 (serial number 13xx) that I've had since 2009 is still kicking bottom.
Sure, the release button sticks a little after it has sat a while and the paint has worn away. But I'll continue lovingly using it until it dies.

Bye bye R-D1 :(

A truly great camera that deserved better marketing I agree.

I have a bit of a beater stashed in the cupboard that cost me so little there's little point in selling it ... even though it's unlikely to get used again.

Epson already listed it "as long as stock last", and replacement parts are guaranteed for 7 years after production.
Come on R-D2, = R-D1 with A7 sensor !
Would be happy with APS-C or APS-H sensor and resolution that match most of other brands.
And add an easily accessible rangefinder adjustment screw.

Got to show that there's place for cheaper digital rangefinder that's good enough even if it won't last for 7 generations :D

am i correct theyre offering is at US equivalent of $2700+?
Assuming 100 Yen / USD, yes. It's been $3000 before.

R-D1 become more affordable because it's an old product, there's the M9 that's lusted more, and the price falls quite a lot in the second hand market. After all, it's not a Leica.

Back