latest additions to your library

Jane Bown. A Lifetime of Looking.
Guardian Faber Publishing.
A most wonderful photographer, this is an exceptional obituary particularly the last contribution from Eamonn, may be of interest:

Jane hated fresh chemicals. I often went in on a Tuesday to discover the developer in my tank had gone down. She would let me use it fresh, which was good for sports photography, and then, after a few weeks, when I was about to throw it away, when it was all brown and oxidised and you wouldn’t even put your hand in it, let alone your precious films, she would take it over.

There's also an interesting documentary about her I watched recently as well. "Looking for Light: Jane Bown". It is on Amazon but not free.
There is a short one here if you scroll down that is free, maybe the same one, and the article is pretty good as well.

Not specifically Daido but I found this an excellent read placing that whole era in context that I as an outsider knew so little of. I see it is now commanding a premium price though.

PROVOKE: Between PROTEST and PERFORMANCE - Photography in Japan 1960 / 1975​

Is this the japanese reprint or the Stedle version?

Got a used copy of Salgado's "Africa". Unwrapped it and made sure it was satisfactory and took it to the end table that stores all my photography books and discovered that I had bought one already. I'm old you know........ Look for it in the ads soon.

Steidl, which I bought in 2016: latest additions to your library

Wasn't aware of a re-print.
Yes, it's a Japanese printing and doesn't have all the extra's that Steidle version does.

Hmm... recents:

• MONUMENT by Trent Parke - found a first printing, new!
  • PRESENT by Stephan Vanfleteren - so so good
  • TWILIGHT, and AMERICAN RUINS, both by Arthur Drooker
  • PUBLISH YOUR PHOTOGRAHY BOOK 3rd Ed
  • AMERICAN GEOGRAPHY by Matt Black
  • TONY RAY JONES monograph
  • TAGLIAVINI mongraph
  • The Todd Hido, Dawoud Bey, & Larry Fink Aperture "Photo Workshop" books
  • A bunch of Candida Hofer catalogs
  • THE NEW BLACK WEST by Gabriela Hasbun
  • a spare copy of PASSING THROUGH THE EYE OF HISTORY by VII photographer Daniel Schwarz
  • THE INHABITANTS by Wright Morris
  • SHADE by Pete Souza
  • ZZYZX and LET THE SUN BEHEADED BE by Greg Halpern. I felt myself becoming a better photographer while I paged through the first one, quite astonishing at the amount of eye-opening
  • THE CREATIVE PHOTOGRAPHER by Andreas Feininger
  • ...and as usual lots of painting & pop-shrinkology books

a good season so far

Yes, it's a Japanese printing and doesn't have all the extra's that Steidle version does.
No it's totally different reprinting the original Provoke "magazine", the Steidl does not do that although it has numerous extracts and pictures but is setting the historical context for the "movement.
The individual original issues do crop up and to be honest I would prefer those to a re-print, even if comprehensive, but that's me.

Last edited:
Hmm... recents:

• MONUMENT by Trent Parke - found a first printing, new!
  • ZZYZX and LET THE SUN BEHEADED BE by Greg Halpern. I felt myself becoming a better photographer while I paged through the first one, quite astonishing

a good season so far
Picked two out of the "collection" you have done well 👌
Jealous of the Parke, I'm missing that one, and to be honest had forgotten about that, so will look again, I carry too many in my head for comfort.

Halpern: A very thought provoking photographer, you may find, if you have not already seen it, this interesting conversation with , for once, an interviewer who knows what he is on about: Gregory Halpern on the Impossibility of Documentary Photography

Got a used copy of Salgado's "Africa". Unwrapped it and made sure it was satisfactory and took it to the end table that stores all my photography books and discovered that I had bought one already. I'm old you know........ Look for it in the ads soon.
I was shopping for a copy of Salgado's "Scent of a Dream" when I found one on my shelves 😅

Worse, last year I read a book and found it was full of marginalia notes -- that I'd written, yikes!
(I'd read it for an old job, and hadn't thought about it since)

I think of my memory as a money saving device, I can read books any number of times and be just as interested. The Salgado mistake kinda cuts into the profts however.

Tarkovsky. Films stills, Polaroids and Writings.

Tarkovsky stunned me the first films I saw in my 20s. His writing is profound. There is an extract in this book from his 'Sculpting in Time' which attends to time and to memory. His analysis is extremely sophisticated from a neuroscientific and philosophical perspective. There are some tributes, including a letter from JP Sartre re the stupidity of calling 'Ivan't Childhood' petit Bourgeois. There is a tiny fragment of precious praise from Bergman. And Sven Nykvist on the intrusion of Tarkovsky into his viewfinder, which seemed like usurpation but Tarkovsky assured him he could only envision a scene in the viewfinder and soon Nykvist and he were as one in how they worked together. Some of the stills are nothing much, but others very powerful.

Tarkovsky. Films stills, Polaroids and Writings.

Tarkovsky stunned me the first films I saw in my 20s. His writing is profound. There is an extract in this book from his 'Sculpting in Time
Have you Sculpting in Time? If so comparison perhaps, I have read reviews that are not very enthusiastic saying the stills, as you mention, look like poor quality DVD screen grabs?

Chris, all this is true. It’s a balance between seeing a few more fragments of writing, interesting, especially the longer piece by Suvorov, the reminder of Scultping in Time, which I already have, the stills, many quite indifferent, or most, and the evocation even of many of those, versus the response i have to a late release on CD, of say Richter, where I’m sure he himself held these back for good reason. I read a late release Raymond Chandler: continuity problems. Very deflating.

Chris, all this is true. It’s a balance between seeing a few more fragments of writing, interesting, especially the longer piece by Suvorov, the reminder of Scultping in Time, which I already have, the stills, many quite indifferent, or most, and the evocation even of many of those, versus the response i have to a late release on CD, of say Richter, where I’m sure he himself held these back for good reason. I read a late release Raymond Chandler: continuity problems. Very deflating.
Thank you for that perceptive summary, I will refrain from purchase but may well trouble my library for a copy.
Late works are often a problem in tarnishing otherwise special output, John le Carré's posthumous "Silverview" novel was a recent disappointment. "Completed" by his son with some touches of the master glimpsed but he did not publish in his lifetime and I wonder if he realised that was a wise decision. Deflating indeed, Smiley it was not. Do I regret having read it, no, it illustrated vividly the quality of his previous work which is too easily taken for granted, Richter perhaps should be viewed in that light?

Back