Leica Q photos

This new lens (and sensor/image channel software) looks great. The transition to OOF areas looks very pleasing! I think this thread will be very popular, and cause much GAS :)
edit: following you on Flickr

Lynn, yes I do hope it will become popular with many more photos!

Helen, she is a Bullmastiff, with loads of personality too! I just uploaded a bunch of photo's to Flickr (never used that before) and when going through my photos, I realised I have a lot more photos of my Bullmastiff than my Pug. It took my a minute to figure out why, but then I remembered that the Pug is always walking literally right next to my feet (by instinct, not obedience), while the Bullmastiff wonders off a bit, making it easier to take a photo of her. :)

Nice photos!

I'll only be a watcher on this thread, admiring the photos y'all produce with your Qs. :)

G

While the Q's build quality, light weight and ergonomics seem excellent, the lens appears to be the heart of the system.

The Q's sensor assembly may be a stop or so behind the current state-of-the-art, but in my view digital imaging technology has become, for all but a few rare applications, a level playing field. This means lenses can regain their proper role in marketing differentiation.

For the early Q owners: I am curious about the AF ability/accuracy/speed, low light and the manual focus feel ( I expect that to be great)…
Max- love the first image!. I also followed you on Flickr
Thanks! Daniel.

Thanks all!

Daniel, I think the autofocus is very fast and accurate. I’m pleasantly surprised! I haven’t really had the opportunity to try it in low light yet, but will update once I have.

The manual focus is great. It feels just like focusing a pure manual lens (although I think we can all agree that there is nothing quite like the range finder way of manual focusing). The picture zooms in and focus peaking starts right away when switching over to manual, and a half press on the shutter brings the frame back to normal. If you turn the focus ring again, it zooms in and focus peaks again. This is very convenient and makes manual focusing very fast and simple.

One negative thing, is that to switch between the different autofocus modes, you have to go into the menu. I hope they change this with a firmware update eventually. I will never use the in-camera crop button for example, so I would really like to dedicate that button for focusing modes. Or just dedicate focusing modes to the FN button, but I can’t do that today.

There is one focusing mode which is a touch screen thingy. You just touch the LCD and it instantly focuses there and takes a photo. It works extremely well! I just haven’t figured out a situation where this would be good to use though. Maybe when looking at a crowed of people or something, and waiting for someone to do something interesting? Kinda reminds me of that game you found in arcade halls, when you tried to bonk the head of the clown that jumps out of a hole.

I had a chance to see one Saturday and it is really nice. Easy to shoot all manual and great easy to read and use DoF scales on the lens. A lot lighter than my MM.

I am sure it make beautiful photos. Still no lens release lock. Probably has viewfinder lag making it difficult to time anything but a sleeping cat

Have to say it's exciting in a way.
The camera yes..... More so still another dedicated image thread :)
The MM, M240, X100 etc...threads are so many, many pages of great images.
Looking forward to another :)

Max - also now following your good self on Flickr. Is your entire stream from the Q?
No, only these two. I haven't had much time to use it yet, basically only this weekend that was. If it weren't for work and family, I would probably have more to post! Hopefully I'll get some backup by other new owners soon though..

Probably has viewfinder lag making it difficult to time anything but a sleeping cat
If you get a chance to try it out, I think you will be very surprised. I used to hate EVF's, I'd get all dizzy, but you really can't even notice the lag with this one.

Theres a whole thread where people are complaining about why Leica made this camera and I'd kinda hope we can use this thread for photo's instead. But of course I'll try to answer as many questions as possible though, before more people have had the chance to try it out.

Did it feel right in your hand compared to a M or is it too small?
You didn't ask me, but I'll give my answer anyways. ;) The M cameras I've had (analog and MM), are heavier, which is nice in the hands, but less so when slung over the shoulder. It really isn't much smaller though. The built in thumb grip works pretty good, but I'm still tempted to look at the handgrip once it's in stock somewhere near me.

Did it feel right in your hand compared to a M or is it too small?

If it helps, the Q basically has the form factor of a film M, so it does not look fat as the digital Ms :p The Q is slightly shorter and minimally higher, though. The weight is probably comparable with a film M, too, but without a lens. It is therefore lighter by the lens you'd attach to an M.

The thing I don't like, is that you cannot at the moment keep the back LCD quiet and only use it for play back and config - and only switch on the EVF when the camera is raised to the eye. Auto-toggle is possible or LCD or EVF only.

Used to long menus of digital compacts, I was positively impressed by the Q's menu.

I may write them about it but I'm not figuring I have any influence ...

Ivo

Back