Leica X-Vario

Well lookey here - It's already official.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/06/10/the-leica-x-vario-has-arrived-slow-zoom-and-all/

“The Leica Vario-Elmar 28-70 mm f/3.5 – 6.4 ASPH (35 mm equivalent) and the APS-C CMOS sensor ensures images of unsurpassed brilliance. The size and quality of the sensor means low image noise, high dynamic range and accurate color reproduction. The wide-angle to telephoto zoom range of the Leica X Vario offers photographers the options for many more creative compositions: indoor scenes, impressive landscapes or intimate portraits. The Leica X Vario allows users to change focal length easily and quickly to spontaneously capture the perfect moment giving the user the feel of classic Leica controls. In addition, the autofocus is fast and extremely precise while the switch from autofocus to manual focusing is intuitive – simply move the focusing ring on the lens from MF to AF mode”

“The design and finish of the Leica X Vario reflects the ultimate art of engineering with attention to detail and the use of the finest materials. When you first see the Leica X Vario, the Leica DNA will be obvious. A few minutes of handling the Leica X Vario and design characteristics of the Leica M will be apparent including compactness and construction. The top plate is machined from solid aluminum, the process identical to that used for the Leica M. The magnesium and aluminum body feels solid while the soft leather trim provides a comfortable but firm and reassuring grip. The Leica X Vario provides the user with a unique,one of a kind visual and tactile experience which is synonymous with a Leica made in Germany.”

Well lookey here - It's already official.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/06/10/the-leica-x-vario-has-arrived-slow-zoom-and-all/

“The Leica Vario-Elmar 28-70 mm f/3.5 – 6.4 ASPH (35 mm equivalent) and the APS-C CMOS sensor ensures images of unsurpassed brilliance. The size and quality of the sensor means low image noise, high dynamic range and accurate color reproduction. The wide-angle to telephoto zoom range of the Leica X Vario offers photographers the options for many more creative compositions: indoor scenes, impressive landscapes or intimate portraits. The Leica X Vario allows users to change focal length easily and quickly to spontaneously capture the perfect moment giving the user the feel of classic Leica controls. In addition, the autofocus is fast and extremely precise while the switch from autofocus to manual focusing is intuitive – simply move the focusing ring on the lens from MF to AF mode”

“The design and finish of the Leica X Vario reflects the ultimate art of engineering with attention to detail and the use of the finest materials. When you first see the Leica X Vario, the Leica DNA will be obvious. A few minutes of handling the Leica X Vario and design characteristics of the Leica M will be apparent including compactness and construction. The top plate is machined from solid aluminum, the process identical to that used for the Leica M. The magnesium and aluminum body feels solid while the soft leather trim provides a comfortable but firm and reassuring grip. The Leica X Vario provides the user with a unique,one of a kind visual and tactile experience which is synonymous with a Leica made in Germany.”

That nearly made me barf! :D

how could they do that lage lens...coudn´t they learn from the older contaxes tvs and so???...it´s too large...

This is obviously Leica's attempt to sell some cameras to those with money, but who do not want to be stuck with a fix focal length. I doubt an serious photographer would buy this camera. They want to sell these to wealthier people who walk into the Leica store and "want a camera with a nice zoom lens".

as far as the design goes, at least the dials and buttons are flush with the top of the plate.

for some reason, i really don't like all of those mirrorless designs based on the "brick with things stuck on it" approach.

The price is somewhat ridiculous, personally I think they missed a marketing trick here, they should have made it a 'tri-elmar', that would have mitigated the zoom lens snobbery. Zoom lens is amateur, a tri-elmar is lust worthy.

It's certainly not for me, if the price comes down, I can see it being successful, for those who feel a fixed focal length of the X1/X1 is too restrictive.

The closest competition is the XE-1 with the kit zoom. The Xe-1 zoom is faster and has OIS; I'll be interested to see some real reviewers compare the two systems.

Well lens probably is very good and so the sensor. Too bad for M fans Leica decided not to deliver their day dream camera.

Back