Leica X-Vario

Hi....i need a zoom camera....and thought this leica would be at least 2.8-5.6....but it wasn´t so i bought an alternative to it....

a contax tvs

...let´s find out if this cam can help me about my slow zoom need...

:D

Do you get offended each time a company releases something tha doesn't fit your needs though?

No, just frustrated by companies whose marketing departments are deliberately deceptive. Porsche never marketed the Cayenne as a Super Ultra Mega 911...

No, just frustrated by companies whose marketing departments are deliberately deceptive. Porsche never marketed the Cayenne as a Super Ultra Mega 911...

Interesting thoughts, so, which model Porsche you are driving then?

Regards,

Boris

I've owned a X-Vario since monday. Have not had much opportunity to shoot it. It's a wonderful camera so far and makes a nice complement to my M9. Going to Lake Tahoe this weekend so it will be exercised much along side a M9 and a Hasselblad 500 C/M. I'll post after my trip.

I reviewed the X Vario recently, and I got the camera before embargo broke. When the camera was placed in front of me, I was thinking, "wow nice... now where's the 'Mini M'?" Turned out THAT was the 'Mini M' that Leica was teasing consumers. It was disappointing to say the least, and I was pretty darn certain I'd hate the camera as I signed the form for the loan.

And I did. For an entire day. The AF was slow, which meant I missed quite a few shots which would have made good keepers. But as the day wore on, I grew to appreciate the built quality and I made adjustments to my shooting style. But still, I was secretly apprehensive about the image quality (after being miffed about the 'Mini M' moniker).

When I finally had the time to sit and sift through the images, I could see the redeeming qualities of this camera. It may have a slow lens, but the optics are wonderful. There had been a lot of flak about the camera specs and price, but unfortunately the best part of the X Vario cannot be seen in the spec sheet. Check out the online images and feel the build quality for yourself in the stores.

http://petapixel.com/2013/06/16/review-leica-x-vario-defies-nay-sayers-with-impressive-optics/

Appreciate your review, Nelson, but for me it is just as much about price point when I purchase new gear. I just recently bought my first new camera in a decade. I was still using and publishing with Nikon D2H bodies. Yep, little 4.1MP APS-C sensor D2H. When I gave up on the newspaper industry, I decided it was time for lighter gear. I took a look at the Fuji and got interested in the X100S. Saw that Sony had introduced their RX1. I discounted the RX1 mainly for the price point (USD$3500 vs $1300) and am throughly enjoying my X100S. I will probably buy in more to the Fuji X-System and invest in maybe a 50mm Leica lens (haven't decided on Cron vs Lux yet) to go along with the Fuji 1.4/35mm.

Do you get offended each time a company releases something that doesn't fit your needs though?

Yes I do. As a consumer I want products that suit my needs. This camera as well as the new fuji are disappointing to me. And I will say this without owning one cause I can.

Yes I do. As a consumer I want products that suit my needs.
I, too, want products that suit my needs. I'm even happier if they suit my wants as well. However, I'm also happy when products suit other people, even if they don't suit me. YMMV.

...Mike

Yes I do. As a consumer I want products that suit my needs. This camera as well as the new fuji are disappointing to me. And I will say this without owning one cause I can.

There must be a lot of disappointment in your life then. There are a lot of products in the world that don't fit one's needs. It's easier to ignore them and concentrate on the good ones instead.

I, too, want products that suit my needs. I'm even happier if they suit my wants as well. However, I'm also happy when products suit other people, even if they don't suit me. YMMV.

...Mike

I would like products to suit my needs, and my wants, but also my pockets, and that ain't gonna happen.

I do get a bit disappointed when a wonderful opportunity is missed.

There must be a lot of disappointment in your life then. There are a lot of products in the world that don't fit one's needs. It's easier to ignore them and concentrate on the good ones instead.

Absolutely, people may want products that suit them, but they don't have a right to it.

Back