Leica X-Vario

I think the XE-1 and X-Vario may share the same or similar sensor - that's why some comparisons will be welcome - lens (and system manipulations of the signal) against lens.

c´mon fuji, let´s ,ake the x20 with a larger sensor...

for sure the xe1 + zoom will give leica x-vario a hard time...i still believe tomorrow leica will make the lens samller and the aperture wider.

...am i naive????

:eek:

Leica Digital: "We take consumers' giant boatloads of cash and use it to find and employ people with exceptionally mediocre ideas, along with a crack team in the marketing department who excel in bringing out disappointing products. Your continued zealous patronage while we continue to let you down is appreciated."

Terrible! Tri-elmar with a constant f4 would have been slightly more acceptable and leica-like. Lets wait for the real world pictures before final judgement...

The closest competition is the XE-1 with the kit zoom. The Xe-1 zoom is faster and has OIS; I'll be interested to see some real reviewers compare the two systems.

And EVF!!

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Sigh...

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Well lookey here - It's already official.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/06/10/the-leica-x-vario-has-arrived-slow-zoom-and-all/

“The Leica Vario-Elmar 28-70 mm f/3.5 – 6.4 ASPH (35 mm equivalent) and the APS-C CMOS sensor ensures images of unsurpassed brilliance. The size and quality of the sensor means low image noise, high dynamic range and accurate color reproduction. The wide-angle to telephoto zoom range of the Leica X Vario offers photographers the options for many more creative compositions: indoor scenes, impressive landscapes or intimate portraits. The Leica X Vario allows users to change focal length easily and quickly to spontaneously capture the perfect moment giving the user the feel of classic Leica controls. In addition, the autofocus is fast and extremely precise while the switch from autofocus to manual focusing is intuitive – simply move the focusing ring on the lens from MF to AF mode”

“The design and finish of the Leica X Vario reflects the ultimate art of engineering with attention to detail and the use of the finest materials. When you first see the Leica X Vario, the Leica DNA will be obvious. A few minutes of handling the Leica X Vario and design characteristics of the Leica M will be apparent including compactness and construction. The top plate is machined from solid aluminum, the process identical to that used for the Leica M. The magnesium and aluminum body feels solid while the soft leather trim provides a comfortable but firm and reassuring grip. The Leica X Vario provides the user with a unique,one of a kind visual and tactile experience which is synonymous with a Leica made in Germany.”

The price is somewhat ridiculous, personally I think they missed a marketing trick here, they should have made it a 'tri-elmar', that would have mitigated the zoom lens snobbery. Zoom lens is amateur, a tri-elmar is lust worthy.

It's certainly not for me, if the price comes down, I can see it being successful, for those who feel a fixed focal length of the X1/X1 is too restrictive.

This is actually a brilliant idea.

Leica Digital: "We take consumers' giant boatloads of cash and use it to find and employ people with exceptionally mediocre ideas, along with a crack team in the marketing department who excel in bringing out disappointing products. Your continued zealous patronage while we continue to let you down is appreciated."

I feel similar frustration, but totally disagree with your opinion here.

Chopping of the vario-snoozer lens for a second, this camera has fantastic direct top plate controls, a great 5-way like m240, a great thumbrest/assignable thumb dial again like m240, way cooler looking m-shaped top plate, and takes optical or electronic viewfinders in a standard shoe.

I think the frustration comes from the lens, which is totally disappointing to most folks here, but is likely a well-executed design for what it intends to be. It's a camera more like ones for casual use, but its really no reason to call the ideas mediocre, they're just product-market fit decisions and there are no hard feelings.

Leica: "Mini-M!" "Mini-M!" "Mini-M!"

Montoya: "You keep on using that word. I do not think it meens what yu think it meens".

I don't like any kind of bashing, but I really don't see what Leica wants to achieve.
Ah, ok, they want to sell, and sell they will...

Personally, and without attacking anybody's preference, I think there are three major issues which definitely stop me from thinking about buying this cam:

1. Lens is too slow.
2. Price.
3. No internal viewfinder.

The same three issues stopped my from buying ax X1 or X2. So, the "X Vario" seems to be a real "X".

As to the advertising name "Mini-M". Silly.
Or Volkswagen could sell the Golf as a "Mini-911" and the Polo as a "Micro-911".

Would I buy the X Vario, if I had the money available? Perhaps, just to see how well it performs. But I am too much of a viewfinder guy (bought the NEX-7 and the Nikon 1 V1 because of that), so I guess I would not like to use it.

Anyway, I'm sure we will see loads of excellent photos taken with it, soon.

I tried one today. Great build quality, and other manufacturers could take notes on the top plate and focus ring.

I feel similar frustration, but totally disagree with your opinion here.

Chopping of the vario-snoozer lens for a second, this camera has fantastic direct top plate controls, a great 5-way like m240, a great thumbrest/assignable thumb dial again like m240, way cooler looking m-shaped top plate, and takes optical or electronic viewfinders in a standard shoe.

I think the frustration comes from the lens, which is totally disappointing to most folks here, but is likely a well-executed design for what it intends to be. It's a camera more like ones for casual use, but its really no reason to call the ideas mediocre, they're just product-market fit decisions and there are no hard feelings.

Summary: It's a great fixed-lens camera if you ignore the disappointing lens :)

Disappointing maybe but what will the next model be like?
What if it had a removable lens and adapter to take M mount lenses?

I can't see that as being too hard... But you'd have to use an EVF or the rear scene to focus.
And a focus confirm feature would certainly make it more desirable.

Maybe with all the negative feedback Leica may consider some improvements??? They do listen to customer feedback.

Disappointing maybe but what will the next model be like?
What if it had a removable lens and adapter to take M mount lenses?

I can't see that as being too hard... But you'd have to use an EVF or the rear scene to focus.
And a focus confirm feature would certainly make it more desirable.

Maybe with all the negative feedback Leica may consider some improvements??? They do listen to customer feedback.

something like this?

8871100217_b336f3553f_z.jpg

if only. i guarantee I would've snatched one up if it went for the same price.

Put one in your hands & then decide. The build quality is exceptional, and again with the higher ISO the 3.5 is no big deal. I thought no way when I first heard about this camera, then I picked it up & shoot a few pic's. You just might consider it, the out of the camera pic are outstanding.

The only negative feedback that is going to matter is from actual owners. People who bitch on the internet about cameras they do not own are not customers.

some of us would be potential customers. not our fault leica digital decided to tell us they weren't interested in our patronage...

some of us would be potential customers. not our fault leica digital decided to tell us they weren't interested in our patronage...

Do you get offended each time a company releases something that doesn't fit your needs though?

Back