Leica X1 - Is this for real?

Probably the circular thing on the X1 (where the winder should be) is the pop-up flash... since it says there is a pop-up flash.... at least pictures with flash won't be a "head-on" thing :D

edit: never mind :)

Last edited:
and i've saved it here..

3881196704_e4bfed9e47_o.jpg

The one to the right is the 'new compact M for the American market'. The other one is the new M9 for the rest of the world.

On the grey camera: With the current top, it looks like a series I Leica.

If that grey camera would have the option to mount an external EVF, it should be 3/5 of an inch high and run from the hot shoe to the edge of the camera. Two 'windows' on the front and the EVF one on the rear would make it look like a Barnack top housing and it would be one sweet camera, even better retro than the EP-1.

Oh man...the X-1 is APS-C? Seriously? WOW. There's your R-D1 killer right there. Not that I'm going to get rid of mine.

I'm not convinced, though, that it really is APS-C. It's an m4/3 mount, right? Can m4/3 lenses even cover an APS-C sensor? Or will there be a whole new line of m4/3-mount APS-C lenses for this camera that will also serve as "deluxe" optics for Pana and Oly users?

[EDIT: Ahhh, it appears not to be an interchangeable lens camera...more of an attempted DP-1 killer. Nice.]

The M9 looks marvelous. I'm really stoked. Leica might actually be pulling themselves out of the toilet. They are going to sell a freaking zillion of those little cameras.

Last edited:
Well, now... having separate aperture and shutter speed controls would be a big plus in my book. I wonder if it has some kind of EVF as an option - if it's real.

A nice design exercise if it isn't.

The X1 looks pretty cool if it's real. A possible dp-1 killer is right. But I don't know, it seems like an incomplete design study to me. I love the idea of it, but would they put out a fixed-lens camera like that? I'm also not exactly sold on the micro 4/3rd/rebranded pana idea. Given the history of collaboration I wouldn't rule it out, but why would they sell a camera that doesn't really show off their lenses. Unless they've got a set of micro 4/3 glass to go with it...

I don't know about everyone else, but that second dial looks like it's an aperture control dial. It's set to "A" (auto I'm assuming) & it has markings for 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16 on it too. At least it looks that way, at the very least it's marked 2.8 right next to the the A.

The cylinder though, thats VERY interesting. Wonder what it is.

Can't tell what kind of sensor it's packing either, but the lens looks like it's fixed. If it's 43/rds that'd be a 50mm lens, & if it's APS it's more a 40mm. It won't however, have anything less than 4/3 because a 24mm lens on a compact size sensor would be telescopic in focal length.

Now I'm actually excited for their announcement. The m8 left a horrible taste in my mouth that I had to use copious amounts of fixer & a good dose of Nikon to wash out ;-P

that X1 looks like an amateur rendering to be honest.. secondly, if it IS real, it looks like a m43's camera to me, not a rangefinder. Still, I think it would be a smart move if Leica would introduce a rebadged Panasonic, it seems to work for their Digilux cameras and it would give some added credibility to the M43's category of cameras.

Back