Leica X1 - Is this for real?

3881630620_7c3782cec3_o.jpg

3880832395_9c0cc4cb4f_o.jpg

Last edited:
I`m still wondering about the sensor size. If it`s m4/3, the 24mm lens
equates to 48mm. If it is APS-C size, then it`s 35mm or so equiv. If my memory serves me, the original link gave a spec of 35mm ( possibly all
fantasy of course).

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Al

If the X1 is a rebranded Panasonic GF1, shouldn't the "LeicaElmarit24mm F2.8 ASPH" be a 48-50mm equivalent, and not "Equiv. 35mm?" The specs shown on the Flickr page make it an APS-C/1.45x crop factor sensor, not micro 4/3, right?

If the specs are wrong and it is a micro 4/3, it will be interesting to see who buys the Leica 24/2.8 rather than the 'other brand' 20/1.7 pancake. And, why.

Makes sense to me. An X1 type camera would give Leica a very good reason not to be overly enthusiastic about µ4/3rds. And this is the type of camera that people have been clamoring for for quite a while. I wonder why it's taken manufacturers so long to get it right. The Sigma DP1 and DP2 should have been touchdowns, and instead they were fumbles. If Leica gets this right, they could have a hit on their hands. It also fits into their announcement that there will be some goodies for novices too, though I see a lot of pros snapping up a camera like this if done right.

We'll find out in a week.

Would Leica buyers want a camera that doesn't have an OVF? The EVF for the GF1 looks ok, but would that be ok for what this camera will cost?

Crap. The X1 appears to be EVF only.

Also where is the distance scale on the lens? How are you supposed to scale focus?
If this is for real lets hope you can set focus to somewhere between 0 and 5 meters and infinity.

As to the X1:
Fixed lens??? How are you expected to regulate time AND aperture with two next-to-each-other dials??? Oh man... And I hoped for an introductory M camera... Oh well, I guess there will be used M8s at reasonable prices soon! :D

If that circular flash rotated...

If that circular flash rotated...

If that circular flash rotated, then in portrait orientation you could use it for bounce flash (assuming the subject and the ceiling are within 12 inches of the flash :) )

Probably the circular thing on the X1 (where the winder should be) is the pop-up flash... since it says there is a pop-up flash.... at least pictures with flash won't be a "head-on" thing :D

edit: never mind :)

I hope to death this has an EVF or some kind of eye-level finder system. Well, because it has a fixed prime lens, fairly accurate OVF with parallax correction line would do, too.

If it's $1999 or less and has usable ISO800, I might think of getting one.

So. I hate to pour cold water on all the speculation, but...

Nobody has yet provided a sensible explanation to a small but inconvenient observation...

What is an otherwise unremarkable Viet amateur photographer living in Hanoi doing with "photos" of Leica's newest products?

If you actually bother to check out his Flickr stream you will find a number of images of mocked up and outright fake M9s, D-Lux 5s, etc., some more convincing than others.

Regards,

Bill

Bill,

I guess there's no alternative but to wait and follow the Twitter feeds hastily typed by dozens of attendees to the September 9 New York presentation, while simultaneously watching the webcast. The suspense! The suspense!

Philipp

More I think of it, I do prefer OVF on prime lens cam like this or Sigma DP series. Only EVF I thought usable was the one on Panny G1.

Back