Let's see your Leica M

I can only recommend the M6. I have the TTL version and am very pleased with the accuracy of its meter.

Depending on which Summicron you have the Elmarit-M would be a more portable 90. I have one in black and like it a lot for both its portability and performance. There are of course several other options. For ultimate portability - though it performs, I understand, a little bit less than the Elmarit-M - you could consider the Tele-Elmarit-M.

My current more streamlined setup:

M4-2
Pre-Asph 35 Summilux
ZM Planar
Pre-Asph 90 Summicron (on its way to DAG for collimation)
Sekonic L398
and lastly my CADPAT backpack which I think no one would assume to be a camera bag, plus it has loads of spare room for film, notepads, and my NEX-7 setup

Lately I have been thinking of selling the M4-2 and the Sekonic and putting the money towards and M6 to streamline things even more, and possibly even ditching the 90 altogether. The goal is to have a small and highly capable kit to take with me when I start my new career in the CF this year.

What is not to like about your setup. :) I would not change anything.

My current more streamlined setup:

M4-2
Pre-Asph 35 Summilux
ZM Planar
Pre-Asph 90 Summicron (on its way to DAG for collimation)
Sekonic L398
and lastly my CADPAT backpack which I think no one would assume to be a camera bag, plus it has loads of spare room for film, notepads, and my NEX-7 setup

Lately I have been thinking of selling the M4-2 and the Sekonic and putting the money towards an M6 to streamline things even more, and possibly ditching the 90 in favour of just the 35 & 50. The goal is to have a small and highly capable kit to take with me when I start my new career in the CF this year.

What is not to like about your setup. :) I would not change anything.

I actually am very happy with the setup, since each item is almost exactly what I wanted to have. I would have preferred the Summilux to be without an infinity lock, but I am content with it regardless.

As for the Summicron, I tend to shoot for a couple of months between developing, and was unaware that its focus was off. For some reason I failed to shoot a test roll when I bought it. I think because it needs collimation, and I have yet to achieve results I like, I have not fallen for it yet. Maybe this will change when DAG fixes it for me, because I have no other reason not to keep this one; this specific type was one that I had been keen to purchase for some time. In response to philipus regarding the Elmarit-M and Tele-Elmarit, my desire for this E55 Summicron is why I ultimately chose to pass on the 2.8's, as desirable and practical as they may be.

The idea of a body swap would be to have an M camera that still had a mechanical shutter but also a built in meter, relieving me of the need to carry the Sekonic as well. While the meter doesn't take up a lot of space in the bag, given what I might be doing in the future, I may prefer the space it does occupy be saved for something else. Only time, and firsthand experience, will tell on this one.

Dave, as nice as the Seconic meter is, if you shoot a lot of BW film then a meter might not be necessary at all. ;) Also, keep in mind that the M6 and newer cameras have smaller frame-lines than the M4-2 or standard M4-P (not the latest M4-P with M6 top-plate), something that might be worth considering.

I have pretty much the same set-up, BTW, I had swapped the ZM Planar for a nice vs4 (tabbed) 50mm Summicron-M, though. :)

In the digital world it is analogous to highway miles on a car. 1000 miles on a car's odometer sure sounds better than 110,000 miles. So yes it matters.

For me it was an indicator that while 2nd hand, it was so hardly used, it was as-new. On recieving it, this proved the case and was exactly what I wanted :) Just like a 5 year old 1000 mile car would be I guess!

Either way, it's what I was after in terms of condition and I'm loving it, it was just an aside.

Here's my alc M7 after a couple rolls, now with 60 or so rolls shot its finally showing some brass :)

6824929986_9da38089a4_c.jpg

A very nice M7, indeed, Alex. Is that a Barton 1972 strap? Looks a bit like mine, which is attached to an M6TTL BP that is also beginning to brass :D

Thank all!

Very nice! If it's got a .85 viewfinder then I'm really jealous.

It is indeed 0.85x with the 4 frame lines too.

A very nice M7, indeed, Alex. Is that a Barton 1972 strap? Looks a bit like mine, which is attached to an M6TTL BP that is also beginning to brass :D

It's the A&A 103n, a bit expensive but I like them for simplicity

wow, it only takes 60 rolls to get cool brassing.

Just a bit on the advance lever, the rewind, and a touch on the far right edge...

Back