Lukewarm service from Leica NJ

They have about 0.5% of the camera market. What is your definition of small?

We have Leica survey equipment here at work and Leica microscopes in our lab, and recently when I was at the eye doctor I noticed they had specialty instruments by Leica. Is "Leica Camera" still a sister firm of the company that made all that other stuff, or are they separate? I wonder if all those other products are supported by better service than the cameras are.

A few weeks ago seeking info about the Leica T/TL I asked in the Milan Leica Store in case of dust on sensor if they could clean it for me because I'm not very good in manual operations and I'm afraid to scratch or damage it.

The answer was "sure, no problem you bring here the camera and we'll send it to Germany for you"

Hmmm, not sure this is the service I was expecting...

robert

Errr.. They do have a pro service, complete with loaners and expedited repairs. One just has to register beforehand. And they didn't build, but rent the facility in Germany from a consortium (which includes the real-estate branch of Mr. Kaufmann's interests)

Please could you direct me to a site where this service is advertised and where they inform customer about it I? And I would like to know if it's only for professional os for amateur as well?

Thanks in advance

robert

PS: not to be misunderstood, of course I trust what you say but I find strange that such an important service is not "visible"

I've decided to send in my Q again just for the privilege of waiting in line for a promised 3-4 weeks, I hope it takes more than six months this time, and I promise to enjoy this privilege and will refrain from being a Leica justice warrior. I will also write that 100 times on the blackboard.

:)

A few weeks ago seeking info about the Leica T/TL I asked in the Milan Leica Store in case of dust on sensor if they could clean it for me because I'm not very good in manual operations and I'm afraid to scratch or damage it.

The answer was "sure, no problem you bring here the camera and we'll send it to Germany for you"

Hmmm, not sure this is the service I was expecting...

robert

Robert,

I wish I could help. I bought an Visible Dust cleaning system. Care is required, but cleaning a sensor is not that difficult. Too bad we are oceans apart. I have a kit that includes an illuminated magnifier so any dirt, dust or oil is visible.

Also here in NYC the guys in the Leica Store SoHo are very-very helpful. I was updating my firmware and called with a question. I spoke with John who answered my question that relieved my guessing. The crew at my Leica Store are very helpful.

Cal

I just sent my 35 year old Rolex in for service and I was surprised that they don't offer 2-3 day turn around service. Who should I call to complain about such horrible slow service? Plus, no telling how much it will cost? I guess I should have just bought a Timex or Seiko timepiece as I could buy a drawer full of them instead of what I will pay for the Rolex repair. Btw, they do the same thing, tell time!

:rolleyes:

I've decided to send in my Q again just for the privilege of waiting in line for a promised 3-4 weeks, I hope it takes more than six months this time, and I promise to enjoy this privilege and will refrain from being a Leica justice warrior. I will also write that 100 times on the blackboard.

:)

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. The "Q" is an interesting camera. Wishing you all the best.

Cal

Robert,
I wish I could help.
Cal

Thanks Cal, you are always helpful. For the moment I still shoot film and have a new sensor each shot :) LOL
But my point is Leica has a beautiful shop, nice windows, red and black colors, nice exhibitions in the gallery which I visit quite regularly but no technical service available locally, at least for small things like this or RF alignment...

robert

I just sent my 35 year old Rolex in for service and I was surprised that they don't offer 2-3 day turn around service. Who should I call to complain about such horrible slow service? Plus, no telling how much it will cost? I guess I should have just bought a Timex or Seiko timepiece as I could buy a drawer full of them instead of what I will pay for the Rolex repair. Btw, they do the same thing, tell time!

Would have been funnier if it were your two year old Rolex, not 35...

:rolleyes:

Duane,

Wow a nice vintage Rolex. Might I ask how many times has it needed service over its 35 year life?

Had my Panerai serviced. I at least got an estimate. Took about 2 1/2 months for the turnaround. The watch came back great, had to replace a dried out strap, and I only got a few months in when I cracked the crystal.

Anyways when the crystal gets replaced it will be costly.

My Submariner has been running non stop for 12 years. No service over ever. My watch is beginning to run a little fast.

Cal

Thanks Cal, you are always helpful. For the moment I still shoot film and have a new sensor each shot :) LOL
But my point is Leica has a beautiful shop, nice windows, red and black colors, nice exhibitions in the gallery which I visit quite regularly but no technical service available locally, at least for small things like this or RF alignment...

robert

Robert,

Come to NYC. Here we have Nippon Camera Clinic. It is like having a Japanese camera repair facility. Service is usually a week for turnaround, and if you want I know there is a rush service because they deal with many pros. Perhaps not inexpensive, but good.

Cal

Robert,
Come to NYC. ..

Cal

When we were in NYC a few years ago I brought my Polaroid SX70 which I was not able to have repaired in Italy to this place and they did the work within the week of my stay. Do you know them? Not too far from B&H
Not sure when next visit to NYC will be, maybe 2017...

robert

Duane,

Wow a nice vintage Rolex. Might I ask how many times has it needed service over its 35 year life?

Had my Panerai serviced. I at least got an estimate. Took about 2 1/2 months for the turnaround. The watch came back great, had to replace a dried out strap, and I only got a few months in when I cracked the crystal.

Anyways when the crystal gets replaced it will be costly.

My Submariner has been running non stop for 12 years. No service over ever. My watch is beginning to run a little fast.

Cal

I'm cheap so I've not had the watch serviced as often as I should over its life. My best friend and I each bought our Rolex GMT Masters as gifts to ourselves when we earned our Navy Wings of Gold. I still have the receipt and we paid a little over $800. The watch today sells new for over $8k. I expect to pay $800 or so for the service and know the watch on return will be like new.

Btw, my Leica M-E (that I bought new 3 years ago) has been to NJ twice for sensor replacement. A few months after purchasing the camera it developed issues and it took about 6 weeks. And then this last time I waited till the newest sensor was available before I sent it in for repair. Now that took a bit longer but I was able to talk NJ into a M240 loaner. I was also offered the opportunity to upgrade to the newer CMOS Ms but declined as I prefer my CCD M.

For somebody who asked earlier, Leica Geosystems and the Microscope makers are all separate companies with no relationship (except in name) to the camera maker.

I'm cheap so I've not had the watch serviced as often as I should over its life. My best friend and I each bought our Rolex GMT Masters as gifts to ourselves when we earned our Navy Wings of Gold. I still have the receipt and we paid a little over $800. The watch today sells new for over $8k. I expect to pay $800 or so for the service and know the watch on return will be like new.

Btw, my Leica M-E (that I bought new 3 years ago) has been to NJ twice for sensor replacement. A few months after purchasing the camera it developed issues and it took about 6 weeks. And then this last time I waited till the newest sensor was available before I sent it in for repair. Now that took a bit longer but I was able to talk NJ into a M240 loaner. I was also offered the opportunity to upgrade to the newer CMOS Ms but declined as I prefer my CCD M.

I completely get the Leica thing and would hand over my $8K for the right one. But watches?! They sure don't do much.

I was so happy when mobile phones arrived and eliminated the need to wear one.

John

I completely get the Leica thing and would hand over my $8K. But watches?! They sure don't do much.

I was so happy when mobile phones arrived and eliminated the need to wear one.

John

I too agree, as what I didn't mention before, is I currently wear an Apple Watch in the cockpit as I can easily see the damn hands at night and with the flick of the wrist to activate the watch face is easier than digging out my phone to see the time. Plus, the watch is easily configured to give me UTC time or any other time zone in the world along with the latest aviation weather.

Then there are the personality studies that have shown that type "A" personalities always have to wear a time piece. (Can't find the source at the moment but maybe just an old wives tale that some of us old fighter pilots like to claim as fact.) :D

Rolex is $600 for overhaul..and 4 to 6 week turnaround...and rarely does anything go wrong..
Patek /VC/JLC etc...6 to 9 mos. overhaul turnaround and 1K minimum if you are lucky..and they they need a service every 2 to 3 years...
Just got my 1st Rolex for my 60th b-day 8 mos ago..I didn't wear a watch for over 30 years..didn't need it..but I have to say..there is definitely something to be said about a great watch on your wrist..
I like having a reliable watch on my wrist..better than a cam I cant trust..or cant use for 6 mos. at a time..so that means..Sony and Lumix w/ Leica lenses..and Rolex..

Back