LUMIX LX100 (Is it a superb camera?)

20539181245_15e31deb3e_c.jpg

I have been using an LX100 daily. It is a very, very capable camera. Responsive and we'll layed out, almost the perfect package for me.

Truthfully I cannot echo the 'soft' outcome with images. Raw files that have been handled right will easily print up A3/A2 with no concerns. I do print quite often. I am not contesting others needs, simply passing on my experience.

The cinema capability of this camera is nothing short of amazing. It is a bare bones approach without the bells and whistles of most compact video options. Not a filter based approach. Manual focus, tracking, speed, manual control and so on. No onboard audio however that is a smart move in my humble opinion. The zoom H1 will always do better and you can hook up LAV and headphones at the same time. There is decent stereo mics built in.

The only critique I have is the Video record button is right beside the average persons thumb rest, just beyond the AE button. It is an odd fit for adding a viewfinder such as Zacutto. The viewfinder and the rec button will require a model specific finder/loupe/whatever.

I'm pretty sure Panasonic will release a firmware update allowing the 'filter' button topside to be reprogrammed and version 2 will also reflect this.

The megapixel count is what it is. I'd argue beyond most quality requirements. Keep in mind I have a lab do my printing and we have been working together for a long time.

I have shot all day on one battery. Just today I was thinking how awesome it is I can fit all my assignment gear in a small sized field bag. Everything, some in duplicate. The LX100 is a game changer for me.

I don't have a Lumix LX100, but I do have two Lumix cameras with Leica lenses and they both produce excellent images. They're not as popular as the Nikon or Canon, but their images are superb.

I have been using an LX100 daily. It is a very, very capable camera. Responsive and we'll layed out, almost the perfect package for me.
The LX100 is a game changer for me.

Interesting - I know from your previous posts on here that you've used the Fuji x100 extensively - how would you rate the LX100 against the Fuji? In particular, pros and cons of each? Not so concerned about IQ (as I presume it's pretty good), more about general user experience, and ergonomics.

TIA.

well, prior to my thoughts it is prudent to know, i am a Fujifilm brand ambassador. most will begin by stating no affiliation with the manufacturer whereas i begin with the opposite.

i consider the latest incarnations of the x100 series to be one of the best reportage stills cameras i have worked on. this is a highly subjective statement of course. if i was to choose, for stills only, the x100s and x100t, both of which i own, would be my 'desert island' camera. i am quite happy to shoot the 35mm equivalent for the rest of my life and the image quality is beyond what i need. i will add that i print and exhibit regularly as well as run work through very big media outlets and remain pleased with the X100 output.

i bought the LX100 as i also shoot and teach cinema/video. to date Fuji has treated video as an afterthought. while i am sure the video quality on the Fuji X series is mote that enough for most, for me the camera interface, codecs, bit rates etc have been a deal breaker. the LX100 though, has been so close to perfect (for my needs) i was quite surprised.

so, a question with variables. what are you end needs? for me, as an assignment guy, multimedia is the name of the game so the LX100 becomes one of the leading contenders. if stills was the only requirement, the X100s/t would be my choice, no question.

another caveat to keep in mind is that my mantra has always been 'content trumps all'. i am not a pixel peeper, i don't shoot commercial billboards and bokeh is of little interest. none of this is to be mistaken for dogma

so, a question with variables. what are you end needs? for me, as an assignment guy, multimedia is the name of the game so the LX100 becomes one of the leading contenders. if stills was the only requirement, the X100s/t would be my choice, no question.

another caveat to keep in mind is that my mantra has always been 'content trumps all'. i am not a pixel peeper, i don't shoot commercial billboards and bokeh is of little interest. none of this is to be mistaken for dogma

Many thanks for your thoughts on this. The reality is that I have no "need" at all, since it's all just for enjoyment, and truth-be-known, the LX100 has simply piqued my interest:). It would be pure indulgence only, since I already own (amongst other cameras:rolleyes:) an original x100. The attraction, for me, is that the LX100 is approximately the same basic shape and format as the x100, but with a useful range of focal lengths, all in a slightly smaller (and even lighter) package. That's about all there is to it, really... I certainly don't need an LX100, but I do quite like the idea of one.;)

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

i am confident you would not be disappointed with adding the LX100 to the roster. it is one of the absolute best variable focal length compacts i have ever used. i believe the lens alone to be worth the price of admission.

the days of slow, unresponsive and menu driven digital compacts seems to have passed.

i am confident you would not be disappointed with adding the LX100 to the roster. it is one of the absolute best variable focal length compacts i have ever used. i believe the lens alone to be worth the price of admission.

Thanks - that's useful to know.

the days of slow, unresponsive and menu driven digital compacts seems to have passed.

Let's hope so...!

highlights

highlights

I've been looking on flickr, and the photographs look really lovely. I am curious, how does the LX100 handle highlights? I am so tempted! I often have to shoot in the middle of the day, high noon, would this camera be a good choice?
Many thanks to all,

Darya

Depends on the situations.. It is going to be much better than a p&s sensor and better than a 1 inch one. But the dynamic range is still from a 16mp Panasonic m43 sensor and digital path electronics.

In the bright afternoon light, I tend to use exposure comp dial to minus 1/3 to 2/3 and use my photo sw to dial the shot in..

Gary

Forgot to mention that the camera has built-in HDR mode (jpg).. So far I have never used it.

I've been looking on flickr, and the photographs look really lovely. I am curious, how does the LX100 handle highlights? I am so tempted! I often have to shoot in the middle of the day, high noon, would this camera be a good choice?
Many thanks to all, Darya

You will be happy with it. I have the Leica equivalent and it handles highlights very well, especially here in Oz and the South pacific where the sun is always bright.

-1EV

-0.3EV

0EV

0EV

anybody knows if the leica 109 typ is the exact same camera as the lx100? are there any differences feature and iq wise?

Fireblade, we're some of the photos you posted taken in Coromandel Valley? If so, its odd coincidence as I think I drove past the locations depicted only today (first time I have been on that road in years)

Yes Peter, two of them are in the Coromandel Valley...it's a nice drive :)

Yes Peter, two of them are in the Coromandel Valley...it's a nice drive :)

Thanks for replying. As soon as I looked at the first landscape I thought "that's Australia". Then as I looked more closely I realized it was even closer than that. ☺ My wife & I drove down to a winery at McClaren Vale for lunch. The back road route thru Blackwood, Coromandel Valley, Clarendon etc is far and away the nicest drive south on a warm Sunday especially once one hits open fields and rolling hills. Much better than the main south freeway.

Back