Minolta SRT's -- Gotta Love 'Em.

Newport Aquarium Nex7 Zeiss Touit by Nokton48, on Flickr

A quick walk by shot Newport Aquarium. Light was low water cloudy hard to focus. HP5+ Minolta SRT100 58mm F1.2 MC Rokkor. Rated at 1600 developed for 3200 D23 1:1. Nex 7 Zeiss 50mm F2.8 Touit Macro Planar T* E Mount Minolta SRT Copy Stand Multi Bubble Leveled everything F8 Going for max resolution

Grain looks very sharp so I am totally pleased. I think I am there!

Loving these Minolta cameras! Might even look for one myself, it’s been a long time!

Especially that black SRT 101. I once had an X700… I could enjoy one of those too, again…🙂 I still have great memories of my Minoltas.

Btw, if anyone is hesitating to buy one because they no longer shoot film, perhaps now is the time to return to film like I did. I’m sure Dan can answer any questions you may have!👍Just do it!

I could not be happier!😇😇😇

Thanks Dave!

Sony Nex 7 Zeiss 50mm F2.8 Touit Macro Planar by Nokton48, on Flickr

This lens is like looking through a fine microscope lens. Everything is corrected as I can tell, sharpness is amazing. Front element is very small, although it takes 52mm screw-ins. So I fitted an original MC Minolta 52mm Skylight, and an olde Minolta D52ND 52mm Lens Hood, perfect for this use. I'll be shooting 35mm to start, but I want to shoot up to 8x10" film also.

The olde SRT Hood and MC filter are perfect for this one.

I had a SRT101 a while ago, and it was OK, but I was too invested in Nikon and Pentax to start a new system.
However, a few weeks back a guy from church gave me his old Minolta (Maxum 5000) with a bunch of lenses/accessories; '
Very nice camera, despite being the entry-level model

80cm 800mm Apo Rokkor Shoot Out by Nokton48, on Flickr

I have a particular telescopic shot in mind, it's early morning light. These two MLU SRT-101's are both loaded with some of my last ERA100. I am finally shooting up the end of it. MLU SRT Cable Releases, Manfrotto tripod should hold these OK. I've shot a few tests with these lenses, I'm going to shoot a side-by-side comparison. They are both good and completely different, so we will see. This is all original SRT vintage (only) equipment. Minolta SRT Diopters and SRT Rubber Eyecups on both. I'll shoot with Minolta Yellow Filters on both of these. Bracketing as much film as needed. Should be a fun shoot.

I have a particular telescopic shot in mind, it's early morning light. These two MLU SRT-101's are both loaded with some of my last ERA100. I am finally shooting up the end of it. MLU SRT Cable Releases, Manfrotto tripod should hold these OK. I've shot a few tests with these lenses, I'm going to shoot a side-by-side comparison. They are both good and completely different, so we will see. This is all original SRT vintage (only) equipment. Minolta SRT Diopters and SRT Rubber Eyecups on both. I'll shoot with Minolta Yellow Filters on both of these. Bracketing as much film as needed. Should be a fun shoot.
Shantou ERA 100 was pretty nice. I found a random roll in my freezer at one point recently. Testing is often pretty fun if you like cameras and film. Enjoy!

Whoa! I see those are both early black-dial '101s!

I have a (chrome) black-dial '101, and it seems to have a smoother advance and a more subdued shutter sound than later SR-Ts. Nevertheless, my favorites are two SR-T 102s with MLU, one chrome and one black, and both in beautiful condition. I bought them both refurbished by John Titterington.

I moved back to the US from Portugal, in 1981. I aspired to buy an SLR and I had my eye on the SR-T 201. Unfortunately, the SR-T line was discontinued that year and I was in no position to make the purchase yet. In 1984, when I was settled and had some spending money, Tall's Camera in Seattle found a cache of forgotten, brand new SR-T 201s in their warehouse, and I was fortunate enough to get one. That, and a new X-570 with winder complemented each other nicely and had me on my way. One of my early, and still most cherished, lens acquisitions was an 85mm f/1.7 MD lens. It's my most used focal length (seconded by a 28mm f/2.8 MC3), and I like that it has the mechanical goodness of the MC line, from which it was derived.

Anyway, I follow and appreciate this thread about the Minolta SR-Ts. Thanks.

- Murray

Thanks Murray. I have more stuff to post, been going through my Minolta boxes. Found a few interesting things coming up.

80cm Rokkor Cowboy Studios Gimbal Modded Leitz Tripod by Nokton48, on Flickr

80cm F8 Rokkor, Chrome SRT-100/Kangaroo Green, Cowboy Studios Gimbal Head, Modded Leitz Tiltall Tripod. Should be steady enough considering mirror lockup being utilized, and an SRT Cable Release as well. This lens will be coming up in my 800mm shoot-out. The 400mm Rokkor-X MD F5.6, with Matched 2X Converter, makes an F/11 aperture. This lens was a speed demon at F8 80cm :) One Stop Faster. The SRT only goes to 1/500 and no MLU. Will switch bodies.

Last edited:
Outdated XX Borax MQ Aristo #2 RC Multigrade dev by Nokton48, on Flickr

Testing my Minolta XK, before it went to Essex (camera came back right before Katrina hit!) 85mm F1.7 MC Rokkor ADOX Borax MQ. Aristo #2 matte RC Multigrade developer. Modern Enlarging System blue LED Mod 2 head. Taken on some XX no doubt OLD; Dichroic fog level fairly high. With short ends you take what you can get. The dichroic fog does jack with the print contrast. Can't get real DMax out of it, but usuable This was shot in full key sun around the corner from Midwest Photo Exchange, when they were still on High St

The XK has the same body lines as the SRT, just the space age version of the SRT IMO. With a meter in the body and lots of accessories, most of which I own. Titanium shutter and pro reliability, but the batteries do run out! I keep a spare strap on the neckstrap so I can change it out in the field. Some of the SRT acessories are interchangeable.

Last edited:
Dear Board,

I recently scored 3 SRT-101's from Shop Goodwill. The most expensive one is still enroute from Canada, but 3 of them only cost me $ 43.00 plus shipping and they all came with Minolta lenses. A 50mm f2 M, a 50mm f1.7 MC-Rokkor and a 35mm f2.8 MC-Rokkor. Here are the 2 that I've received so far along with a nice clean Olympus IS-300.

I put batteries in the SRT 101's and the meters both work and match each other and a Gossen Luna Pro F. The viewfinders are pretty clear, and focus is easy. Unless the light seals are junk, I think I got 2 users and the 3rd one that is coming is prettier than either of the ones I have received so far.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

This, that, and another thing by Tim Murphy, on Flickr

Yep lot's of life almost always left in them. Sometimes they are FREE. Hard to beat really. Lenses are best of the best IMO, which is subjective of course. But they did make their own optical glass and had some unique formulas. In Europe Minoltas were preferred by Professionals. :)

Yep lot's of life almost always left in them. Sometimes they are FREE. Hard to beat really. Lenses are best of the best IMO, which is subjective of course. But they did make their own optical glass and had some unique formulas. In Europe Minoltas were preferred by Professionals. :)

Interesting bit of information. I've read about different pro photographers that used Minolta, but I wasn't aware of this status in Europe!

- Murray

well, i like to use my minoltas mainly because of the lenses.
the only exception is my 20mm MD 2.8. unevenly soft, even in the finder. don't know whether it's the series, or only this very copy.

one caveat - the older MC 35mm F/2.8 tends to distribute oil/grease onto the aperture blades, which get sticky then and no longer close fast enough. cleaning the blades is possible, but a tedious task, as you need to disassemble half of the lens (and from the mount side, too ...).

I had a SRT-101 in the '70s. It worked well, but I also saw a number of 101s and 102s come in for repair. Using a waxed string for the shutter mechanism wasn't the best design choice.

I had a SRT-101 in the '70s. It worked well, but I also saw a number of 101s and 102s come in for repair. Using a waxed string for the shutter mechanism wasn't the best design choice.

I understood that the string cables were only for the shutter display in the finder, not for the shutter mechanism itself. Am I wrong?

My experience with SR-Ts has been that they were quite durable. I've found a few of them in junk shops and thrift stores, and they all worked. Not to mention the fact that my numerous SR-Ts have never failed.

- Murray

Just picked up a SRT-303 with mc pf 55mm 1.7 and mc 35mm 1.8 for the nice price of around 70 euros. Also got some nice (and boxed) accessories such as an angle finder and Minolta extension bellows.

The camera has gotten some knocks on the prism but other than that seems clean and to work fine. Both lenses look really clean. Really looking forward to shooting with the 35mm 1.8. I had the 55 before but sold it, which I've since come to regret. Going to be using the lenses on my SR-7 and x700 also.

Back