Monochrom 246 and Leica SL in New Mexico

Thank you for the tour, Vince. As Cal has said above, "A lot of nice shots. The MM, M-246 or SL does not really matter." Your photos are beautiful with both cameras. Maybe you only need one.

Raid,

Thanks for the acknowledgement. Vince has a "magic eye."

Cal

Finally!

Join photographer Vince Lupo at the Leica Store DC Gallery for the opening of his solo photography exhibition, Mapping the West.
This exhibition provides a glimpse into Vince's fascination with the West, particularly New Mexico and Montana:

"Both possess that special quality of light that has inspired artists for centuries. I find personal renewal with each journey there,
and am particularly drawn to the people, the landscape and the backroads."

None of the images are planned or staged. Oftentimes, the juxtaposition of seemingly disconnected elements within a scene can
create tension and contrast, reveal a subtle metaphor, a striking irony, or a conversation among them. Although humans may not
always be included in these photos, their impact is apparent. Vince's role has been to catch these threads that bind these elements
together to present a compelling narrative – sometimes humorous, sometimes poignant, other times evoking the old West.

The exhibition runs from September 30th thru November 9th, and the public is invited to attend the opening reception on
Friday September 30th from 7-9pm. There will also be an artist's talk on Sunday October 2nd beginning at 2pm.

Leica Store DC
977 F St. NW
Washington, DC 20004

Yay! I wish I could be there. Congratulations!

G

Finally!

Join photographer Vince Lupo at the Leica Store DC Gallery for the opening of his solo photography exhibition, Mapping the West.
This exhibition provides a glimpse into Vince's fascination with the West, particularly New Mexico and Montana:

"Both possess that special quality of light that has inspired artists for centuries. I find personal renewal with each journey there,
and am particularly drawn to the people, the landscape and the backroads."

None of the images are planned or staged. Oftentimes, the juxtaposition of seemingly disconnected elements within a scene can
create tension and contrast, reveal a subtle metaphor, a striking irony, or a conversation among them. Although humans may not
always be included in these photos, their impact is apparent. Vince's role has been catch these threads that bind these elements
together to present a compelling narrative – sometimes humorous, sometimes poignant, other times evoking the old West.

The exhibition runs from September 30th thru November 9th, and the public is invited to attend the opening reception on
Friday September 30th from 7-9pm. There will also be an artist's talk on Sunday October 2nd beginning at 2pm.

Leica Store DC
977 F St. NW
Washington, DC 20004

That's quite an honor. Congrats, Vince!

Any chance you could fill us in on their selections?

Here's a screen shot of the choices -- hopefully you can figure out which ones they are:

Only one I'm not so sure about is 'The Jig is Up' -- I've never shown it before, as I didn't think it was a particularly strong piece. But the exhibits coordinator saw something in there, so it's in the show.

I think the images all work well together and I like the jig is up. Sometimes it's good t let another set of eyes curate. Someone that doesn't have an emotional attachment to the work.

Strong show Vince.

Congrats Vince, well deserved recognition for an impressive project.
This will certainly bring some good exposure for your work.

I've still been going through the photos I shot back in February, hoping to find a couple more to add to the collection.

Very much what New Mexico feels like to me at that time of year, and is a big reason why I like to go then:

Untitled NM 2016
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

A bit of a light turnout last night for the reception (maybe 20 people). Crappy weather likely contributed to it (hopefully it wasn't me!). But it was great to see some people I haven't seen in quite a long time (including an RFF member who I had done work with at the Huntsville (Alabama) Times, I hadn't seen him in about 17 years!). Sold one piece (the one that's on the postcard). That particular shot generated a lot of positive feedback!

The artist talk is tomorrow (Sunday) at 2pm, so I'm hoping there will be a decent turnout for that. I'll try to take a few snaps of the exhibit.

I don't know how you post processed, but just comparing pixels mimicking 'grain' signature, the SL rules the day.

The SL almost has the old Monochrom look to it, something the new Mono lacks. The old Mono and the SL are looking like Tri X, the new Mono is Verichrome Pan at it's worst, or Panatomic X when ISO is in its favor and at its best.
!
This was also my impression from the comparison: the SL has a certain kind of acuity that I like. Great comparison.

This was also my impression from the comparison: the SL has a certain kind of acuity that I like. Great comparison.

I did like the SL and it was a tough choice, but in the end I chose to return the SL to the distributor. The thing that really didn't work for me was the EVF (with my prescription polarized sunglasses), plus there were a few features that were wasted on me (such as the touch screen). It is also quite a solid and heavy lump of aluminum to be hauling around, and my neck and shoulders are paying the price of 20+ years of carrying a heavy camera bag professionally, so I didn't feel like adding to that already painful burden.

Right now I have 15 - 11"x16" photos in the exhibit at the Leica Store in Washington DC, and within that group there are photos taken with the SL, 246, CCD Monochrom and M9. If I were to carefully scrutinize each photo, I could likely pick out the ones taken with the M9, but the rest are all pretty close to one another. Nothing jumps out at me as being of lesser or higher print quality than another (or being more or less 'film-like' than each other). You'd be hard-pressed to tell which ones were taken with which camera (SL, 246, CCD Mono), so whatever differences there may be on screen, I truly would have a hard time detecting any differences in the prints.

As far as what I ultimately added to my camera bag, I chose the M-D. Using that camera makes me realize how much time I waste looking at the screen on the back of the 246. Despite that, they are a nice complement to one another.

A few photos of the show at the Leica Store DC:

Leica Store Show5
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Leica Store Show4
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Leica Store Show3
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Leica Store Show2
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Leica Store Show1
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

I've sold two pieces (one from the show, and another from the collection that's not in the show). Hoping for more!

I'm a bit ambivalent about not having any title cards on the walls (the store has a separate price/info sheet on their counter, along with my postcards). A couple of people have asked me if the pieces are for sale (well of course!), and I'm wondering if the store's method of presenting photo/artist info and prices is the right way to go. This is the way the store has always done it -- a very clean method of presentation to be sure, but perhaps a bit too mysterious in terms of sales etc info.

Back