Monochrom: First pics from Melbourne

leicashot

Well-known
Local time
5:39 AM
Had a few hours with my Monochrom in some odd (normal) Melbourne weather today. All processed in Silver Efex Pro 2, selecting the Tri-X film processing option. Please no negative comments here. I am not asking for critique and certainly not wanting this to turn into a Monochrom bashing exercise.

I know some people may be skeptical of this camera and want to believe it's no better than a color camera, and that's fine, so all I'll say is that the files are fantastic and allow a LOT of room for processing. There is so much flexibility with mid and shadow tones should the photographer wish to really tailor the picture to their desire.

All shot with the Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH FLE

L1000076 by Kristian Dowling, on Flickr

L1000080 by Kristian Dowling, on Flickr

L1000089 by Kristian Dowling, on Flickr

L1000100 by Kristian Dowling, on Flickr

L1000109 by Kristian Dowling, on Flickr

L1000118 by Kristian Dowling, on Flickr

L1000124 by Kristian Dowling, on Flickr

L1000158 by Kristian Dowling, on Flickr

L1000160 by Kristian Dowling, on Flickr

L1000168-Edit-2 by Kristian Dowling, on Flickr

L1000234 by Kristian Dowling, on Flickr

Wow some good ones there. Especially like the Asian girl and the Police/Fireman shot, hard to tell which on my iPad. Great city for photography Melbourne. Congrats on Monochrom!

Some beautiful shots. They do look sharp, like today's cold air in Melbourne. So that's RFF MMs in Texas, Oxford and now Melbourne. Nothing to bash you or the camera about in this thread. Congratulations and enjoy it.

Kristian,

I think this pushes me over the edge. I want a M9M badly.

It seems the M9M likes the modern ASPH glass a lot. This is good for me as I have a 28 Cron and a 50 Lux ASPH.

I wonder how the M9M does with retro single coated glass? I would expect less contrast, but vast mids. Old glass could be very creamy.

Hmmm...

Cal

Some beautiful shots. They do look sharp, like today's cold air in Melbourne. So that's RFF MMs in Texas, Oxford and now Melbourne. Nothing to bash you or the camera about in this thread. Congratulations and enjoy it.

Cheers mate, the M Monochrom certainly improves where the M9 left off.

7899441244_7ac72ef406_c.jpg

Incredible detail and nice contrast from this combo. It does look rather tempting. Thanks for sharing. Think I will go view your full set on flickr.

Thank you for posting. Nice shots and love the details and texture of the photos, esp the man with cigarette. Like Cal, I think you just pushed me over the edge on the MM.

Wow. Contrast! Reminds me of Tmax 400 in the direct sunlight. Beautiful work. Keep them coming so I can live vicariously through you.

The images look great. It seems that the M9 Monochrom is similar to having you fine tune a B&W negative and then the print in the darkroom. It lets you explore many things in B&W.

Thanks.

Superb. The photo quoted by f16sunshine is a masterpiece.

And I even think SilverEfex destroyed much information off the DNG files (I still can't get why such an idiotic software gather customers, those photographs are excellent enough to deserve a clean P&P in LR or PS and that's all, no need to mimic film grain whatsoever, especially when using a mOnO... ;)).

Respectfully said for the photographer of course. But reading "SilverEfex" always gives me a rash... :angel:

I have a friend that got his M9M yesterday and his shots blow me out. Great camera set up for some beautiful shots.
Joe

Monochrom noob alert, not picking a fight. Why the need for Silver efex treatment if the ooc output is better than digicam greyscale? Style? Personal preference?
What do the ooc jpg/raw converted to jpg look like without silver efx?

@funkydog Its purely personal preference. One can always take the file straight out the camera and print or publish it. However, those who might have worked in a darkroom are usually quite obsessive about their prints (or in the modern age what they publish on their screen). The obsession arises from the amount of creative control ones has in the darkroom. A good digital file is no different in that is possess the latitude to finalize ones vision.

The digital darkroom is no different. The straight OOC files I have seen from the Monochrom, imo, tend to be neutral. In other words, neutral in contrast and greyscale. Post processing allows one to finish one's vision.

@funkydog Its purely personal preference. One can always take the file straight out the camera and print or publish it. However, those who might have worked in a darkroom are usually quite obsessive about their prints (or in the modern age what they publish on their screen). The obsession arises from the amount of creative control ones has in the darkroom. A good digital file is no different in that is possess the latitude to finalize ones vision.

The digital darkroom is no different. The straight OOC files I have seen from the Monochrom, imo, tend to be neutral. In other words, neutral in contrast and greyscale. Post processing allows one to finish one's vision.

Thanks for the response. This is very helpful because I'm an old B&W only film guy. I have a very-very steep learning curve ahead. Anyways something new and totally different to obsess about. LOL.

Cal

Certainly a nice set. Is the only work in Lightroom or PS just the Silver Efex Pro Tri X preset? I really like them.

wonderful photographs. that a digital camera (and a fine photographer) could handle the light stripes so adroitly says a whole bunch ...

Wonderful work! It looks as if you are really able to dig the detail out of the shadows. Would you clear up one point for me? Is it a Leica M9M, or Leica MM? I see both being used here.

Back