Monochrom: First pics from Melbourne

Oh how I hate this rotten old computer screen which prevents me from seeing the full extent of your M9M's resolution and tonality :bang:

If would love to see some of these in printed form!

Cheers,

Wim

From my limited experience with a digital M and computers, the printed result is always more pleasing than on screen with colour and especially with black and white. I don't know enough about all the jargon and technical terms to describe it. To me, it just is.

The few examples that I have seen from the Monochrome on screen, make me think the printed version would be WOW!

I am saving up for a Monochrom!

Should I state the taboo?

Could we see a few raw files?

Pp is as individual as it gets and I love what you've done with the pictures above but I have a terrible itch to want to see the ooc output in its virgin beauty

I think this camera will complement my Summitar/Noctf1/Lux75 kinda lenses whereas the good ol M9 will still deliver stellar results with the 35/50/75/90 asph lenses

Should I state the taboo?

Could we see a few raw files?

Pp is as individual as it gets and I love what you've done with the pictures above but I have a terrible itch to want to see the ooc output in its virgin beauty

I think this camera will complement my Summitar/Noctf1/Lux75 kinda lenses whereas the good ol M9 will still deliver stellar results with the 35/50/75/90 asph lenses

I'm sorry I no longer give out my RAWS as people in the past have abused that privilege. Also because I'm a phtoographer and not a reviewer I need to protect my work, to an extent. Hope you understand ;)

Ironically, this these pictures were 'NOT' put though SEP2. The original ones were but I over-processed them and re-edited them only in LR4, which are the ones here.

I think LR4 does a great job but the files look mighty clean and not so much film like, which I prefer to be honest. But for those seeking the film-look, SEP2 delivers that, brilliantly - yes, at the expense of detail to an extent, which to many is less important than feel.

;)

Just one question : I now see that those were shot at ISO 800, so did you add some electronic noise to some photos to mimic film grain (I am thinking of the cigarette man one) or did you just downsize the files with "bicubic sharper" after having added a small amount of smart sharpening ?

Thanks... ;)

;)

Just one question : I now see that those were shot at ISO 800, so did you add some electronic noise to some photos to mimic film grain (I am thinking of the cigarette man one) or did you just downsize the files with "bicubic sharper" after having added a small amount of smart sharpening ?

Thanks... ;)

Just added a little 'clarity' on the slider in LR4. That add's more texture to the picture, but you need to be careful not to over do it.

No worries. Your pictures, your decision.

The "photographer not a reviewer" statement makes no sense?

Really? Well, if I was being paid to review this camera, I'd be shooting for that purpose and would be happy to share the files. As I am a photographer these pictures are my work and therfore I don't want to be giving the RAW files out. Do you see Magnum photographers doing this?

These are among the first posts from arguably the most technically interesting camera in 4 years. Which makes this a big tease.

Folks want to see what the M-M can do and these are processed posts, in the 'technical' rather than display thread, no less. Quite cruel.

-Charlie

Really? Well, if I was being paid to review this camera, I'd be shooting for that purpose and would be happy to share the files. As I am a photographer these pictures are my work and therfore I don't want to be giving the RAW files out. Do you see Magnum photographers doing this?

can't generalize.

going by your own account, you apparently did share some RAW's before some people pounced on them and did injustice.

i still share a few raw files from the m9/lenses when someone gets curious. and yes, wouldn't be my "hall of fame" shots that i make my bread and butter off but a simple test raw file. but who would?

surely we all have a few to spare as none that walked the earth till date produced a hall of fame worthy shot everytime he/she hit the shutter. magnum photog or casual shooter.

not wanting to share is a different story. and understandable. your pictures, your decision.

These are among the first posts from arguably the most technically interesting camera in 4 years. Which makes this a big tease.

Folks want to see what the M-M can do and these are processed posts, in the 'technical' rather than display thread, no less. Quite cruel.

-Charlie

Perhaps he shouldn't have posted at all? Would that have been better?

Silver Efex 2 is programmed to use the RGB channels and channel mix them with presets to get all those "film looks" and when using its b&w contrast filters... Similar photoshop actions have been available for a long time now, for free. The grain that Silver Efex adds is basically a blank layer filled with 50% gray with noise added and some blur applied... The high contrast presets that it uses are all different contrast layer blending modes in photoshop: overlay, soft light, vivid light etc. used with some curve combo.

Why would Leica include a B&W conversion software programmed for RGB files with its Mono camera? The obvious answer is that the grain from Silver Efex is all that Mono files need for some texture, otherwise they look super digital because they're simply a luminosity channel that lacks the contrast (and some noise) that comes from RGB channels.

Posters obviously want to see what's under the hood.

P&S cameras have more than enough quality for the web and we polled here for how many prints people actually made (only 1/3 produced more than 5 per year!), so few of the cameras we discuss will be printed at all, much less in large size. (Nearly all of the precious IQ discussed on these forums is wasted. Which probably amounts to a $billion in fujis, sonys, nikons, canons, and leicas.) I wouldn't go there...

The M-M is a very different and likely very cool item and of course no one minds the pix here, but there is a strong curiosity to find out "wottal-she-do".

- Charlie

Back