Monterey Historics

Oh, what fun! The old racing car enthusiast's fond nostalgia. Lovely photos, Larry!

Nikon Z7 + Nikkor 58/1.4G

Nikon Z7 + Nikkor 58/1.4G
So many true exotics to appreciate. Larry, thanks for sharing your photos.
These two are hard to top for me. Would that be a 906 or 908 Porsche? I never understood why, for all their technical excellence, Porsche's production cars never approached the sheer beauty of their racing bodies. Ferrari, for instance, seemed able to emulate race styling in their street models so well. The resemblances between Eg their 206SP prototype and the 206GT and 246GT road cars are undeniable. But this racing Porsche is as pretty as anything ever styled in Italy.

I'm not sure if there is even one 250LM based in Australia. I have never, ever seen one. Although there were a few here back in the day. I walked into a small Hobart tyre dealer last year to find a pinboard of the owner's racing cars on the wall, and was stunned to spot a picture of a 250LM. But Tasmania did host a round of the Tasman series during the 60s so perhaps it shouldn't be all that surprising one was here at one stage. We did have some of the greatest names of all time competing on our local roads during their F1 off season and for a period, there was some very choice stuff, here.

Your pictures of the vintage Bentleys are wonderful, too. I knew as soon as I saw the one featuring that big tachometer redlined just over 3,000rpm it had to be a Bentley dash. They were very quick indeed in their day, but rather under square, and they don't rev fast for very long. Wonderful stuff, thank you. Love to see more.

So many true exotics to appreciate. Larry, thanks for sharing your photos.
These two are hard to top for me. Would that be a 906 or 908 Porsche? I never understood why, for all their technical excellence, Porsche's production cars never approached the sheer beauty of their racing bodies. Ferrari, for instance, seemed able to emulate race styling in their street models so well. The resemblances between Eg their 206SP prototype and the 206GT and 246GT road cars are undeniable. But this racing Porsche is as pretty as anything ever styled in Italy.

I'm not sure if there is even one 250LM based in Australia. I have never, ever seen one. Although there were a few here back in the day. I walked into a small Hobart tyre dealer last year to find a pinboard of the owner's racing cars on the wall, and was stunned to spot a picture of a 250LM. But Tasmania did host a round of the Tasman series during the 60s so perhaps it shouldn't be all that surprising one was here at one stage. We did have some of the greatest names of all time competing on our local roads during their F1 off season and for a period, there was some very choice stuff, here.

Your pictures of the vintage Bentleys are wonderful, too. I knew as soon as I saw the one featuring that big tachometer redlined just over 3,000rpm it had to be a Bentley dash. They were very quick indeed in their day, but rather under square, and they don't rev fast for very long. Wonderful stuff, thank you. Love to see more.

Thanks, Brett.

906, 908, I don't know. When I see them I always just default to, "It's one of the 904-ish ones." Interesting you would mention the design as it was one of the early in house Ferdinand "Butzi" Porsche designs right after he was given the keys to the design studio in the early Sixties. Very different. Definitely made an impression on me at the time.

The 250/275 LMs were really beautiful cars to my eye. Thought so at the time, still do.

Love this great collection of photos. The high-key photo of the maybe C-Type Jag works especially well.

Larry, thanks for posting this thread. Excellent work, beautiful machinery.

Oh, what fun! The old racing car enthusiast's fond nostalgia. Lovely photos, Larry!

I was expecting to see Spanish Missions but a pleasant surprise nevertheless!

Thank's everyone, Appreciated.

These are the best photos captured by anyone, ever.

IMO, anyway.

Wow. Thank you!

Well, they are not that good, but thanks for pumping up my tires! :)
The Historics and the associated events on the Peninsula that week are definitely kid in a candy store moments for some of us.

........ If you happen to have additional photos of the personalities involved (drivers, mechanics, etc.) those would be great to see as well. .........

I'm going to use this as a lame excuse for myself to stick a couple of personality photos that are vaguely related to this post, photos which I can't figure out any other good place to stick them. There were a fair amount of well known personalities there, as there usually are, but I didn't get any photos, so am sticking these in here, for no other reason than that I have them.
Bear with me, indulgence requested.

Nigel Mansell after leading the 2003 Indy 500 for most of the race and finishing 3rd. So close, Nige.

Was sitting in a Whataburger in Austin during the USGP weekend, 2013, and Jackie Stewart walked in with some friends to have a burger, big black limo waiting outside among all the tattered Dodge Darts in the parking lot. The man obviously knows his burgers. Got my wife to go over and ask him to autograph the bill of my Norton Commando hat, which he graciously did. I didn't go because 1. You always send the female, and 2. she's more ingratiating than I am. He was great.

Back to Monterey......

Back