More sex appeal: film or digital?

More sex appeal: film or digital?

• Film has more sex appeal

Votes: 260 94.9%
  • Digital has more sex appeal

Votes: 14 5.1%

• Total voters
my rolleiflex gets a lot of attention from females, i'd have to say film. i've never once been chatted up by a girl when carrying a digital camera (ah, the epson r-d1 is an exception, but it looks like film)

Okay guys, can I come in now? I read every word of this thread hoping to find something conclusive on this titillating subject. First, tho' the memories are beginning to fade, I must admit I spent much of my youth - actually all of it - using film, [why do I get the feeling some of you are too young to remember when digital was not an option] I will say i was impressed with the rationality, and with the humor, of some of you, but lacking - from a woman's point of view - any clear cut winner as far as cameras go, I elected to base my decision on camera-users instead.
And here I must admit I read seakayaker's response about 3 times .................. okay, four. But just to be certain I may read it one more time.

Thanks for the amusement and the bemusement. Carry on men.

28/3.5 Nikkor...cheapest lens there is...sexy? I don't know...looks pretty cool to me...I don't know about sexy though it is a little boy. Cheap digital Nikon...this guy would punch Terry Richardson in the face...twice...combination He is good on film too! :)

andywood.bmp

Film. A manual film camera is much more responsive and capable (in the right hands) in low light.

Far as I'm concerned, this is one of the most amusing and entertaining threads I've read on this forum yet. :D

Film, btw, is the answer.
Although I've met many a girl who didn't even take notice of a Hasselblad. :eek:

Far as I'm concerned, the question is pure BS and uninteresting in the extreme.

G

Far as I'm concerned, this is one of the most amusing and entertaining threads I've read on this forum yet. :D

Film, btw, is the answer.

Cheers guys!

Gotta love the extreme contrast of negative/depressive and positive/happy chappys with a sense of humor personalities in those forums. Makes it amusing indeed :cool: :D

I'm still somewhat surprised the imbalance is that big considering how much hype the digital gets these days while film is slowly diminishing. Now 95+/5-, looks like film is the clear dominanting answer indeed. :)

hmm, i doubt this is the most uninteresting topic at all, seeing that he bothered to at least leave a message... :D

while digital cameras without a doubt are capable of taking great pictures, they are boring to take to the street, and canikons are especially boring for leisure uses.

To me, the digital camera is a tool, the way a power sander or a circular saw is a tool. Great at doing what it is intended to do, but the nature of the tool is such that I don't find projects to do that require the tool; I get out the tool when I have a project that requires it. A film camera is like a cabinet-maker's grade Japanese hand saw or a fine hand-plane. I would invent projects just so I'd have an excuse to use the tool. I don't begrudge the power tool for existing - in fact I'm very happy to have it when I need a tool that does what it does. But when the tool that requires more of me will fit the task, I prefer that tool.

A film shooter is interested in the process, and doesn't mind taking a long time and go through a lot of effort, because the result is as important as the process and the love that went into it.

The digital shooter is most interested in achieving the best result at a minimum of cost, time, and inconvenience.

Extrapolate these two preferences into the qualities that you consider to be essential to a good lover, and you see my point ;)

To me, the digital camera is a tool, the way a power sander or a circular saw is a tool. Great at doing what it is intended to do, but the nature of the tool is such that I don't find projects to do that require the tool; I get out the tool when I have a project that requires it. A film camera is like a cabinet-maker's grade Japanese hand saw or a fine hand-plane. I would invent projects just so I'd have an excuse to use the tool. I don't begrudge the power tool for existing - in fact I'm very happy to have it when I need a tool that does what it does. But when the tool that requires more of me will fit the task, I prefer that tool.

I'll repeat this to the next people that asks me why 'I still bother with film and stuff'

Not this digital shooter. I shoot a lot of digital and I frequently spend HOURS on a single subject just getting a shot "right". And that doesn't include the hours I spend processing the RAW files lol On the other hand, when I was taking photography in college I only used film. And I could easily spend the better part of my weekend shooting, processing and printing a couple rolls of film.

Yes, why is shooting with a digital camera automatically connected to shooting at high burst rate, no matter what, and simply picking the "best" shot afterwards?

What needs more brain cells? Composing an image with your digital camera and post-processing the RAW file with sophisticated software or snapping away with an auto-all film camera and then having the roll developed in a mini lab with the regular 9x13cm print?

What? You know this comparison the other way around?
See? You can turn everything around!

It all depends on the photographer!!

As far as sex-appeal is concerned, I am am convinced that it has nothing to do with the medium that is used (reason see above), it is the camera that is sexy (or not) and the photographer that feels it (or not).

My old Praktica M42 SLR? NOT sexy, sorry.
My old Nikon F? Pretty sexy.
My Nikon F65? Not really sexy.
My old Ricoh S-3? Oh yes, she's sexy!

My Canon EOS 5D? Good, but not sexy at all.
My Leica M8? Hrrrrrr, sexy, very much so!
My Nikon D3100? Great little cam, but not sexy, I'm afraid.
My Fuji X-E1? Hot, hot, hot! Probably the peak of sexiness.

You know what I mean?

Back