More sex appeal: film or digital?

More sex appeal: film or digital?

• Film has more sex appeal

Votes: 260 94.9%
  • Digital has more sex appeal

Votes: 14 5.1%

• Total voters
i rather have two film bodies with different film speed than a digital body

until i am familiar with shooting again i have to keep a digital with me though, instant feedback helps teaching an old dog new tricks. though i rather have film

Definitely film. Over the last 6-7 years, I get regularly approached by people intrigued by the film cameras I use (Olympus OM, Mamiya 6, Olympus 35SP, Contax T2). Never get that response while having a Canon dslr in hand, which I regard as being about as much fun to use as a calculator.

Just this past weekend, I was at a friend's wedding and decided to take some photos with an Olympus OM-4Ti with Motor Drive 2, OM Zuiko 35-80mm f2.8, T32 and Bounce Grip 2 setup. Quite a few guests asked and commented about the equipment, with some saying that they were thinking about getting back into film photography and liked the look of film images better. Even the professional wedding photographer came over and asked me about the equipment, saying it was beautiful and of a different build quality than digital equipment. The wedding photographer even asked if he could take a few pics with my equipment! I of course agreed. He then added that he preferred film himself, but used digital professionally to ensure he got the shot and because clients expect digital these days.

Digital is incredibly sexy for a lot of people, look at those camera sales. However, the sexiness goes off like an opened bottle of developer when the camera company issues the next model;).

You should have seen the teenage girl (14-15?) peering at my Leica M today in the supermarket! If I were into "grooming" young girls... Of course I said nothing: didn't even make eye contact. But maybe it's just the normal, healthy curiosity of being young and noticing something you've not seem before.

Cheers,

R.

This disturbs me.

You should have seen the teenage girl (14-15?) peering at my Leica M today in the supermarket! If I were into "grooming" young girls... Of course I said nothing: didn't even make eye contact. But maybe it's just the normal, healthy curiosity of being young and noticing something you've not seem before.

Cheers,

R.

Why? A member of the younger generation notices an old (sorry Roger) guy with a camera that looks old.
I think this shows the young are interested.
I have a similar tale, in the summer I shot some images of an artist friend for his publicity, we went to the pub afterwards and a young student was eying my Rolleiflex.
She came to have a chat and a look because she'd never had the chance to handle one–she owned a Pentacon Six.
None of this should disturb anyone the young are just interested, we had a nice exchange and chat-no harm done.

You're a truly strange person then, because there are lots of things that disturb me, but the description of sexy applied to inanimate objects doesn't need the sexual act–possibly it has something to do with the English language.

Also to quote another persons post and then say 'this disturbs me' isn't good forum manners if you are replying to the OP.

You're a truly strange person then, because there are lots of things that disturb me, but the description of sexy applied to inanimate objects doesn't need the sexual act–possibly it has something to do with the English language.

Also to quote another persons post and then say 'this disturbs me' isn't good forum manners if you are replying to the OP.
The reply was so terminally weird that I couldn't even figure it out. The last person who was as fascinated by one of my Leicas -- who couldn't take his eyes off it -- was a man in his 40s or 50s, a few months ago, but of course, it was socially permissible for me to talk to him, and even to hand the camera to him to play with. It was also a rather different setting, a vide-greniers (village wide yard sale) where conversation flows rather more freely than in supermarkets. It's really a bit sad that I couldn't talk to this young girl because of the social taboos -- or rather, that even I am forced to assume that I wouldn't talk to her because of the social taboos unless I had nefarious designs. Did she know about Leicas? Did she recognize an M? I'll never know.

Actually, I'd say that any man who doesn't notice a pretty girl is the one who has something wrong with him. It's what you do about it that matters. At my age, and happily married for 31 years, the answer should be "nothing" (except perhaps smile).

I also ride a 1000cc motorcycle and drive a 1972 Land Rover Series III and I get about as many admiring glances for both of those as I did in my early 30s -- which leads me to suspect that as you say, it's the Leica, the BMW and the Land Rover that get the admiring glances, rather than my increasingly elderly self.

Then again, when I was about 20, I heard from a friend of a friend of speculation about the "gorgeous bird" ("bird" = girl" in the slang of the 60s and early 70s) in the passenger seat of my Triumph TR3. She was my mother, in her 40s! A classic sports car changes people's expectations. Maybe Leicas, BMWs and Land Rover 88s do too. Then again I suspect that 88 inches would get any woman's attention, at any age. Note to those unfamiliar with Series Land Rovers: "88" and "109" refer to the wheelbase of Land Rovers.

EDIT: Frances says, "If you leave me in the Land Rover, I get admiring glances too. From young men (I tend not to notice the young women as much, for the same reason Roger notices fewer of the young men). And when I carry a nicely worn black Nikon F, I fear that increasingly, it's the F they're looking at."

Cheers,

R.

i just thought it was very odd to mention a 14-15 year old girl peering at your camera in a thread concerning sex appeal...

i just thought it was very odd to mention a 14-15 year old girl peering at your camera in a thread concerning sex appeal...
Why?

Would it have been different if she'd been 20? If I'd not mentioned her age? If I'd just said "young lady"?

The point is she was peering at the camera. It had happened that day. It was still fresh in my memory. What on earth is odd about that?

Cheers,

R.

Why?

Would it have been different if she'd been 20? If I'd not mentioned her age? If I'd just said "young lady"?

The point is she was peering at the camera. It had happened that day. It was still fresh in my memory. What on earth is odd about that?

Cheers,

R.

We are not alowed to make guesses and then mention the girls age if they are underage. Didn't you know Roger Its one of the latest acts against p........... :p

I think in all respect that you are seeing ghosts or at least taking thread title to seriously. threads tend to go off topic rather fast from time to time and this one goes in the direction "What gives you the most attention Film or Digital"
Cars, Cameras and Clothes can have sex appeal and draw attention to you for a lot of other different reasons.
Best regards

I think in all respect that you are seeing ghosts or at least taking thread title to seriously. threads tend to go off topic rather fast from time to time and this one goes in the direction.

Amen. Some people absolutely miss a sense of humor - I wish they can buy it from a shop. ;)

Keep it light guys with no pun intended :D

Any doubt?

Now that would have me looking whatever camera she held :D

Can't say the film camera gives me more sex appeal. I only get accosted by old geezers when I'm out with one. Never well endowed curvaceous young ladies.

Speaking purely with relation to the cameras that I use (fully mechanical), I'd say that film's got the most sex appeal:

Without batteries, it recharges as fast as your hands can move.
The pushing, pulling, twisting etc. of a well-machined rewind (k)nob.
The smoothness of the lube in pre-AF lenses and the push-pull zoom.

I'm sure I'll think of more humour of this genre sometime soon…

Back