MP 240 or Monochrom 246? Buyer's remorse I guess...

SixSeven

Local time
10:05 PM
About a month ago I bought a Monochrom 246. Sold basically every piece of photography equipment I own to get it and a 50 summicron. The majority of everything I've shot over the years (a little of everything, but mostly landscape) has been black and white, so it seemed like a good fit with the 246. The goal was to get an "as close as it gets" digital replacement for a Mamiya 7 loaded with b&w film, which I adored but hated the scanning process to make prints (I'm not a wet printer).

Now that I have the 246, the only thing I can think of is shooting in color. It's like a curse. I totally wasn't expecting that. It's compounded by the fact that this is my main and only body. I thought about getting an a7rII or something for color use, but it just doesn't make sense. I could (just) afford the Leica, but I'm not made of money so shelling another 3k+ out is not an option.

So, I'm left with a choice: grin and bear it with the MM246 and not shoot color for quite a while until adding another body some time in the distant future, or return the 246 and get the MP240. I get it, it's kind of a juvenile dilemma to be in, but I'm really on the fence as to what I should do. Opinions of random strangers on the internet are welcome!

Nick

Shoot it a bit more. Maybe buy something cheaper to go along with it and take out with you. Fuji x100? and if you still miss the colour exchange it.

out of curiosity but what changed that all of a sudden you're wanting to shoot color more than B&W?
different subject, style?
if you foresee shooting more color in the long run and you can exchange your M246 for a M240, go for it.

alternatively, if you want an inexpensive companion for your M246 when you itch color then maybe consider an M9, even cheaper would be a Sony A7 but it will not give you the same experiexe as a RF camera

Get a cheap(er) film body that takes Leica lenses and load some color film in it. Would that be enough to see how much color you might want to shoot and satisfy your craving?

Want to shoot color? Buy a DSLR. To me Leica M's were made to shoot B&W. Think of what it was that made you choose the Monochrome to begin with. Go look at some photo books of Garry Winogrand, Eugene Smith, Bresson, & others. Get re inspired to shoot B&W & keep the camera.

At the risk of sounding like a moron:

The exact same thing happened to me when I purchased my Monochrom (the original). I ended up selling it and I profoundly regret it. I should have stuck with it. I had it for only 3 months, and when I look back at my photos from that time... what can I say, it was pure folly to sell it.

If you really need some color in your life, get a used Ricoh GR.
Give the Monochrom a chance.

About a month ago I bought a Monochrom 246. Sold basically every piece of photography equipment I own to get it and a 50 summicron. The majority of everything I've shot over the years (a little of everything, but mostly landscape) has been black and white, so it seemed like a good fit with the 246. The goal was to get an "as close as it gets" digital replacement for a Mamiya 7 loaded with b&w film, which I adored but hated the scanning process to make prints (I'm not a wet printer).

Now that I have the 246, the only thing I can think of is shooting in color. It's like a curse. I totally wasn't expecting that. It's compounded by the fact that this is my main and only body. I thought about getting an a7rII or something for color use, but it just doesn't make sense. I could (just) afford the Leica, but I'm not made of money so shelling another 3k+ out is not an option.

So, I'm left with a choice: grin and bear it with the MM246 and not shoot color for quite a while until adding another body some time in the distant future, or return the 246 and get the MP240. I get it, it's kind of a juvenile dilemma to be in, but I'm really on the fence as to what I should do. Opinions of random strangers on the internet are welcome!

Nick

I think I understand your dilemma. I went from B&W film to an M9-P in full color. I was stymied; I couldn't deal with the color. I stopped shooting.

See my ad about a trade of my M9-P for an MM. Maybe there's a way out for both of us.

HFL, a random stranger.

I think I understand your dilemma. I went from B&W film to an M9-P in full color. I was stymied; I couldn't deal with the color. I stopped shooting.

See my ad about a trade of my M9-P for an MM. Maybe there's a way out for both of us.

HFL

I appreciate the offer (and your similar situation). Unfortunately, I would be missing live view for my long exposure landscapes, graduated filters, etc. That's why I wasn't interested in the last Monochrom (or M9). Now, it has enough features that I can use it as a landscape camera.

Thank you all for the quick replies, it's nice hearing what other people think so I don't go crazy debating it with myself over and over again. Nobody I know in real life is really into photography, so when I asked a friend of mine, it was basically "well duh, get the color one".

Nick

I appreciate the offer (and your similar situation). Unfortunately, I would be missing live view for my long exposure landscapes, graduated filters, etc. That's why I wasn't interested in the last Monochrom (or M9). Now, it has enough features that I can use it as a landscape camera.

Thank you all for the quick replies, it's nice hearing what other people think so I don't go crazy debating it with myself over and over again. Nobody I know in real life is really into photography, so when I asked a friend of mine, it was basically "well duh, get the color one".

Nick

Okay, I get it.

HFl

nick, if you have the cash, consider renting the M240, shoot some familiar haunts with it and the M246, convert the M240 files, compare them to the M246 output, and see what you think.

I had the M9 first and got the MM later, the only piece of Leica gear I ever bought new. Ooops ... Q. And I'm in love with that camera, the MM that is. I saw the prices of used M9 and MM around 2.5 or 3k so you get both used for the price of a new M246. Then you have the options to shoot both. My experience from just playing around in LR with color photos and convert these to b&w it's not comparable to the files from the MM. Maybe sophisticated workflows yield acceptable results but from what I heard from folks who have medium format experience, if you nail the exposure with the MM the tones and detail of the MM are as good as it gets. About 85% of what I shoot is b&w.
I have no experience with the M240 (or M246 for that matter) but I just have the sensors replaced (for free incl. new leather) in both of my cameras. In case you buy used either you get some that have the sensors replaced already or you go through this with Leica. Doesn't matter how old the cameras are as long as the sensors are not scratched or otherwise damaged by the user and only the known corrosion need to be taken care of. I'm not sure if a generational step back to 18MP is an option for you. It for sure is good enough for me, so I did not go for the upgrade ($3.5k per body).

Get a cheap(er) film body that takes Leica lenses and load some color film in it. Would that be enough to see how much color you might want to shoot and satisfy your craving?

Another good idea. Getting a used M film body (does not have to be a Leica)
to shoot colour film - and if you're not feeling it you can sell it for what you paid for it.
I noticed you disliked the scanning process. This would give you the chance to try an excellent pro lab like thefindlab.com or northcoastphoto.com. I've used both and it really is something when you get killer scans from people who are expert at it.
That M film body also can take B&W film - imagine that multiple sensor options all in the same body! - ;) who knows, maybe using a film camera and a pro lab will make you forget about digital..

My sincere advice is for you to grit your teeth and go to work with the new Monochrom. Use it hard for at least 6 months and create the best black and white prints that you can with it. That camera is capable of producing some awesome photos if you work with it. But, if at the end of 6 months, you still need color in your life then sell it and buy a 240 or 262. Leica may even have something even newer by that time.

Just don't make any decisions while everything is so new. You have put a lot of thought, not to mention money, into this. Give it time. I really do believe it will work out for you.

After getting my M246 a little over 4 months ago I find it hard to believe that someone could sell it again.
I have had many cameras in my life, anything from 35mm to 8x10 but the M246 is just the best of them all.
That said, it is difficult not to have something that can produce color images so the suggestions about a film body is a very good one and scanning color film does at least for me produce better results than scanning B&W.
Hang on to the M246, it is a keeper.

Your 246 is worth at least 500 more than a 240. Used the 240 is running about 3800. Take the money and run. Or get a 28 to go with the 50. :)

Somebody said Leica Ms are made to shoot BW? Rot. Leica M lenses are best for color in the world. Leica digital colors, by most accounts, including my own, are the best available.

You feel like shooting color? Never take inspiration for granted. Life is very short. Shoot it. :)

M240 is also excellent for BW. Not as sharp, true, but your post options are far greater. Ideal would be to have both, of course. But that's pretty rich :)

Your 246 is worth at least 500 more than a 240. Used the 240 is running about 3800. Take the money and run. Or get a 28 to go with the 50. :)

Somebody said Leica Ms are made to shoot BW? Rot. Leica M lenses are best for color in the world. Leica digital colors, by most accounts, including my own, are the best available.

You feel like shooting color? Never take inspiration for granted. Life is very short. Shoot it. :)

This I agree completely.

Alternatively, I wonder how much you paid for the 246? The original M240 is the same as the MP240, just with less RAM and a red dot. Those are ~60% of the price of a brand new 246?

For the price you might be able to squeeze a pre-owned 240 and a second M Monochrom...that would give the best of both worlds, with the spartan Monochrom also providing a better "analog" experience.

I like to work with two cameras...if you just want one, perhaps trying the 240 for a few days will help you make up your mind?

You made mistake in first place. With film camera it doesn't matter what you like. You could always load it with color film. Digital cameras works in the opposite. It is one sensor for color and bw.
Except some marketing ploy. You get to it and realized it doesn't works for you. You ain't alone. Look at Airfroggy case. He was all over it at the time Monochrome was released, he was saying he only see it in bw on the street and what he gets now... Leica with normal sensor. :)

Return and exchange.

There is a big technical difference between the M9 and the Ur-Monochrome in dynamic range.

Not so when comparing the 246 with 240-bw rendered color images, if you read the spec.

Return the 246, get a 240 and some cash, and when you want to shoot B+W configure the 240 LCD (with color filters if you like) to show you B+W only. The out-of-camera 240 B+W jpegs are outstanding, and you can keep raw for color.

Roland.

Back