MP 240 or Monochrom 246? Buyer's remorse I guess...

The M9 has been my only camera and I just now added the M246. Will keep the 9 for the odd daytime/color itch. Have 21-35-50 between the 2 cameras now. That said: how about you buy a used M9?

Since nobody asked: what do you want to photograph in colour?

If it is the same stuff as your MM, going for a 240 (or 262) makes sense.
If it is street stuff, adding a fixed lens camera like the Fuji X100T, Ricoh GR or Nikon A seems logical.
If it is more general photography, a mirrorless system could be the answer. I'm partial to the Sony E-system. The Sony A6000 already got mentioned, add a Sigma 19mm, Sony 35/1.8 and Sony 50/1.8 (don't bother with the 55/1.8 on APS-C) and you're ready for most situations. If you're a wide shooter, get the 10-18/4.

I think a lot of people said some very sensible things here, but it is important to know what it is what you desire!

Edit: come to think of it, what about one of those X-cameras?

Think of it a different way. Camera+lenses are like golf clubs. There is a proper club for the the shots one needs to make. The driver that gets you closest to the green or even perhaps achieves a hole-in-one will always be your favorite. The driver/clubs that you continually slice will be your least favorite. You only need a couple of clubs if not a professional. Practice is what gets you closer to par.

So take your camera out and shoot it. If you are continually missing shots you envisioned due to the limitations of the camera, trade it.

I am most gave up on 4x5 B&W this summer until I took a long painful hike to a sliver of a waterfall in a rock. I managed to capture it perfectly and it prints easily with sparkle. The camera is no longer heavy or impractical and the journey was what changed my POV. I also carry a M3 or Bessa R3 just for extra shots which may be replaced by an A7II some day.

I have an M7 and M7Ii, but when considering a digital replacement I would purchase an A7rII and Voigtlander adapter.

I only have one Loxia lens, but it is a joy to use with the A7 series cameras. I own a dozen or so rangefinder cameras, but love what the Loxia has to offer. They are now available in 21, 35 and 50mm.

John,

The Monochrom offers a lot more than a little more resolution and detail, how about 30% more resolution because it has no Bayer Filter Array. To one poster 30% is just a little which I find amusing.

While my Monochrom the "Clunker" can't do color the fact is that it does B&W exceptionally well. Big prints don't lie, and you can't print whats not there.

Not for everyone, will not do color, but for B&W only it is the way to go.

Cal

This reminds me of the current conversation about the A7r2. 42mp! You must have it. It's the only way. M9=18mp, what a joke!

I can listen to them, or look at my files. :)

Love to hear some imput on real world experience: Film vs M9 vs MM. Obviously if you peep the MM kills. But whole uncropped image, at what point is the difference obvious? Obviously flavors vary, but in terms of detail?

Back