My 38 Contax II F1.5 - Start Up Advice Needed

stoutstuff

Established
Local time
9:46 PM
I've had this old Camera that was my Great Grandfathers, passed along to me a long, long time ago. It's been displayed on a shelf in my office for some time but never dawned on me to try and shoot it until I recently saw a YouTube video of a certain celebrity showing off his Leica cameras and lenses last week.
A flashbulb went off and here I am seeking advice and stalking all the information I can... It appears to be in very good condition and functioning properly. Just received some 400 TX film and we're loaded and preparing to shoot. 1st roll will be a function test.
Don't laugh, I spent a little energy try to figure out how to set the ASA but dug out my old light meter from the 70s and downloaded mylightmeter app so we're ready to fire. Wish us luck!
Any advice, comments appreciated.

2021-01-01-14-20-52-1.jpg

I would use it, and it's lens too!

I would look for a fitted case for it. You can find used cases on Ebay. My Favorite case for the Contax II is a leather case for the Leica M3, with the screw for the tripod moved to the center.

The 5cm F1.5 Sonnar that you show looks like a very early one without threads for the filter. This places it as being made in 1933. It looks like the proper push-on accessories are with the set. Look to see if there is a yellow or orange filter- will be better for B&W.

I plan on using it. Sooner Brian - Thanks for the lens info. You're right, no threads but there is a Zeiss G1 filter with it and I just figured out how it fits with your tips...

2021-01-02-11-43-59.jpg

take the back and lens off,
then slowly advance and release the shutter thru all shutter speeds.

if the shutter stays open at say slower than 1/30 don't worry about it
just shoot at higher speeds
If the shutter stays open at all or most speeds, time for a CLA

also shine a light thru both ends of the lens
lots of flare due to fungus or haze signals lens cleaning time (if you want higher contrast pics)
you can still shoot with a foggy lens

BTW, nice looking camera!

I would not use this camera. It is a family item.

Why not?
It would still be a family heirloom even if it hadn't worked when Stoutstuff had it in their office. Even if it breaks from (lack of) use now.
That said, folks who service and repair one of these can be hard to find these day.

Alas, the closest thing to a priceless family heirloom is an Agfa Isoly that my mother gave me last month. Been in the family for the last 50 years :D

The camera was his Great Grandfather’s. I would be careful not to lose such a camera.
It is otherwise not a valuable camera. The history of this camera makes it very special. I could be wrong here. Maybe it is worthwhile to risk using it.

Shutter seems to be operating at all settings. I'll check the lens out tomorrow. Any special cleaning requirements for lens and filters?
I was hoping to be able to shoot with this stock but the shutter release is too short. is there such thing as an extension?

2021-01-02-15-59-07.jpg

The camera was his Great Grandfather’s. I would be careful not to lose such a camera.
It is otherwise not a valuable camera. The history of this camera makes it very special. I could be wrong here. Maybe it is worthwhile to risk using it.
They are now fetching higher prices than a few years ago, and rightly so, they've been under-appreciated and arguably under-valued these last few decades.

I say, put it back on the shelf.

My story: I tried a few times for a working Contax II or IIa. On the third try, I thought I'd gotten one. Looked very good and seemed to work. Tested the shutter, then decided to give it a little exercise before loading film.

On the fourth click, blam! The shutter is stuck, half-way open, at a diagoal, not straight.

My conclusion: Cameras of this vintage are likely to self-destruct unless CLA'd.

If you really want to use it, and that might be a LOT of enjoyment, get it worked on first.

I've had this old Camera that was my Great Grandfathers, passed along to me a long, long time ago. It's been displayed on a shelf in my office for some time but never dawned on me to try and shoot it until I recently saw a YouTube video of a certain celebrity showing off his Leica cameras and lenses last week.
A flashbulb went off and here I am seeking advice and stalking all the information I can... It appears to be in very good condition and functioning properly. Just received some 400 TX film and we're loaded and preparing to shoot. 1st roll will be a function test.
Don't laugh, I spent a little energy try to figure out how to set the ASA but dug out my old light meter from the 70s and downloaded mylightmeter app so we're ready to fire. Wish us luck!
Any advice, comments appreciated.

2021-01-01-14-20-52-1.jpg
Hi
The Contax II is a superlative camera—the quality of its rangefinder optics is phenomenal—but unless the shutter ribbons have been replaced at some point, don't expect it to run for very long. The silk Zeiss used was good quality, but silk does not last forever. The fibres lose strength and become fragile after many years.

Before loading a film, you should test fire it 100 times or so (if you can even do that before a ribbon fails, typically it's a dozen times before they break). If it's still working after that, the ribbons have been replaced at some point.

Wind the shutter on before changing shutter speed. It's possible to change speeds before cocking, however changing the setting when the mechanism is partly wound is not good. The reason you wind on first is so that it is wound—not partly wound.

Contrary to popular belief it's not actually that hard to change the ribbons of these. Some understanding of the mechanism and some basic repair skills are needed but I consider it easier than, for instance, replacing the curtains of a Leica—purely in terms of ribbon replacement, less disassembly is needed. It's a task well within the capabilities of most camera technicians. The trick is finding one who'll do it...

I don't shoot film these days. Some point, have more time at retirement- will start again. Not that long off, ~3 years.

I have ten Contax cameras, between the Contax II, III, IIa, and III. Most bought cheap, body and lens needed a little work. Cheap is $100~$200 with lens. Converted the lenses to Leica mount, sold several and kept a few. Kept the bodies. Sent a couple to the Late, Great Eddy Smolov. Had another enthusiast repair one. One IIIa, lucked out and hit with some oil in just the right spot to reapir the shutter jam. All but one have working shutters, a couple going on 20 years that I've owned.

These were taken in 2009, just tested the same camera this weekend- all working.

Nikki loved those "Heely Shoes". Rolling along.

Contax II with 1955 KMZ J-3, coated version of the Sonnar that you have.

I'd convert a Sonnar to Leica mount, and the J-3 back to Contax mount. Got some really good J-3's in Contax mount that way, sold the LTM Sonnars. Skyllaney in the UK now offers this service professionally.

Light leaks can be a problem with the Contax II and III. The only way to know for sure is to shoot a roll and check it out. I found and fixed a light leak by following some online instructions.

My Contax II with 1935 5cm F1.5 Sonnar, slightly later than yours. Wide-Open.

The Contax II uses standard threaded cable releases, common to film cameras through the 1980s.

On the fourth click, blam! The shutter is stuck, half-way open, at a diagoal, not straight.
Infamous prewar Contax shutter ribbons failure. Nothing abnormal (to say it with a small finger pointed up while grasping my tea cup) on a prewar Contax still fitted with its original shutter ribbons. This is what will happen with the OP's grand-grand-father's Contax II after a few shots if the ribbons haven't been replaced recently, as Brett wrote. This is the only reason Raid's advice about not using it may be more or less valid. ;)

:eek: :eek: :eek: (not mimicking Richard Haw here :D)

Infamous prewar Contax shutter ribbons failure. Nothing abnormal (to say it with a small finger pointed up while grasping my tea cup) on a prewar Contax still fitted with its original shutter ribbons. This is what will happen with the OP's grand-grand-father's Contax II after a few shots if the ribbons haven't been replaced recently, as Brett wrote. This is the only reason Raid's advice about not using it may be more or less valid. ;)

So if ribbons fail, how different it will be when on the shelf, can you tell the difference if it’s not used anyway? :)

Back