My 38 Contax II F1.5 - Start Up Advice Needed

I have a Contax IIa and IIIa. Ed Smolov used to be a great Contax repairman to turn to for such issues. He would tell me proudly of how many components he has to remove when taking apart a Contax.

Brian said: I'd convert a Sonnar to Leica mount, and the J-3 back to Contax mount. Got some really good J-3's in Contax mount that way, sold the LTM Sonnars. Skyllaney in the UK now offers this service professionally.

I have several lenses in ltm and in Contax mount. I am looking forward to what Skyllaney will produce and sell.

I'm very much looking forward to getting the Bertele Sonnar 50/2. This lens is a modern incarnation of the 1934 5cm f2 Sonnar, in native M-Mount.

There is a resurgence of interest in Sonnar formula lenses. The OP's lens: one of the first F1.5 Sonnars ever made. A few months ago I picked up a Tessar 5cm F3.5 that is from the first batch of lenses ever made in Contax mount, SN block 127xxxx.

The uncoated Sonnar F2 and 1,5 are magical lens and they give the pictures a distinct look. Enjoy every second of shooting this wonderful combo.

I'm detecting some serious anti-Contax II sentiment in this thread.....
I'm detecting that the Brexit not only has made some British Isles people lose some serious social and economical features. Worse case, it may also have impacted their legendary sense of humour. :eek: ;)

[ Written by a long-time Contax II lover, home repairer (4 bodies fully overhauled so far), and user. :angel: ]

Shot 36 exposures outdoors yesterday, one scene, bracketing f stops at every speed. Have to make the short trip to Colorado Springs for developing sometime this week. Have considered getting the supplies to develop B&W myself - I used to a long time ago.
That small viewfinder takes some getting used to along with keeping your finger out of the rangefinder... and the irony of using a smartphone app for a light meter!

The uncoated Sonnar F2 and 1,5 are magical lens and they give the pictures a distinct look. Enjoy every second of shooting this wonderful combo.

1934 5cm F1.5 Sonnar, I converted to Leica mount.
Wide-Open in the Leica M9.

Warm November Day by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

And my 1934 5cm F2 Sonnar, on the M9.

Sonnar_F2_1b by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Made 1 year after the OPs lens.

1936 5cm f1.5 Sonnar, on the M Monochrom.

Sonnar_1936_1 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

The CZJ Sonnars are amazing.

I'm detecting that the Brexit not only has made some British Isles people lose some serious social and economical features. Worse case, it may also have impacted their legendary sense of humour. :eek: ;)

Not sure how that's supposed to affect me, living in some totally different low country. :D (if that was directed at me)

Yes, Stoutstuff, getting that Contax-grip right takes some getting used to. I'm not a fan of the Contax infinity lock, myself.

Not sure how that's supposed to affect me, living in some totally different low country. :D (if that was directed at me)
Yes it ironically and kindly was, but I stand corrected : if you live in the continental low lands country I am now thinking of, not in the fairest isle's Highlands opposite part I dumbly thought of, you had no legendary sense of humour to lose indeed. :D

;)

I would shoot this, but do consider getting a CLA for it. There is a thread about available repair technicians capable of doing this, and it is worth the cost. I got a Contax iia, and did not have to worry about the silk in the shutter, but there is still some potential for shutter failure. On the first roll through I had some issues with the shutter sticking, so that led me to get a CLA after which it has been performing flawlessly for a couple of years. I also have a Kiev 4a, which is basically a not radically retooled Contax II, and both handle similarly. They are both great cameras to shoot (the 4a needs a CLA, and I am not ready to fund that now).

Also- be ready for Zeiss Contax Month, April. I think March is Nikon RF month...

Nice to see more Contax users on RFF.

Thanks markjwyatt. Appreciate the links and look forward to having some photos for Zeiss Contax Month.
I plan on shooting the Contax II for a little bit and see how we get along. Might have to pick up a film developing kit as it will take about 2 weeks through Mikes Camera in Colorado Springs. Kicking myself for giving my darkroom equipment away several years ago.
Is there any reason I should not shoot? I'm assuming that if the silk/shutter fail, I will arrange for CLA and repairs at that time. Am I wrong with this thinking?
Shot 72 frames without any hiccups other than wait time for development.

If it has been a long time since the camera has been serviced, it would be less wear and tear on the mechanism to have it CLA'd before use.

Is there any reason I should not shoot ?
It all depends on the politics context... :D

Joking aside, no. It will not damage anything if everything works with no hard point or nasty grinding noise. The Contax II shutter is very robust and you won't break anything. Shooting till the shutter ribbons would snap eventually, is the good approach. Any serious CLA must include new shutter ribbons, so, yes, just use it and you'll see what happens.

Sonnar Brian, How good is the Jupiter 11 lens and compatibility with my Contax II? Look to be affordable... Future lens recommendations from anyone?

The soviet-made lenses, like the Jupiter-11, for the Kiev are compatible with the Contax. Quality control being the biggest issue in the later production runs.

A 'cheap' future lens;
The Jupiter-8 is very common and a good all round 50mm lens based on the Zeiss Sonnar 50mm f/2.

First roll developed. Test roll of 400TX shot for exposure, shutter and photographer evaluation. F1.5/5cm Carl Zeiss Jenna Sonnar shot outside - f2@1250, f5.6@500 & f11@125. My composition with the small, somewhat dim viewfinder needs some adjusting. What do you think?

2021-01-18-09-17-29.jpg
[/IMG]

2021-01-18-09-17-31.jpg
[/IMG]

2021-01-18-09-17-28.jpg
[/IMG]

I think the lens is wonderful! The camera seems to work well... that's good. I could never get used to the Contax hold, so you've made nicer photos than I could.

Sonnar Brian, How good is the Jupiter 11 lens and compatibility with my Contax II? Look to be affordable... Future lens recommendations from anyone?

As you you can't buy them new in the shops we are talking about elderly secondhand ones and their condition depends a lot on luck and how truthful the seller is. Luckily they can usually be cleaned, checked and so on.

But you seem to have a highly desirable lens on the camera and In your place I would stick with it and not think about expanding the outfit. That's just my 2d worth, so you may think differently.

Regards, David

I'm sure I'm not the first to admit, composing and taking a picture with this Contax is a process. Makes you appreciate both old & new photography and adds a little spirituality for me.
David, I'll take your 2d for now and work with "Great Grandfather" as is and see where it goes...
1st roll test shots 400TX indoors - f1.5@25, f4@5 & f11@2 w shutter release. Everything functions with the exception of 1/50 shutter in the cold and the sometimes dysfunctional photographer.
On to some more film...

IMG00013.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG00019.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG00024.jpg
[/IMG]

Sorry I missed this. You camera is working perfectly, and you certainly can handle it.

As stated before- Condition is everything on these older lenses. I have one J-11 in Contax mount, it is mint condition, mint glass, found at a camera show for $20.

It is a beauty.

Jupiter-11, Special Paint by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

There are several 135's available in Contax mount to consider. Most go under $100.

Jupiter-11, those made in the early 1950s have German glass. My 1954 J-11 was $40, shipping another $25. My 1957 KMZ- mint condition, $80 shipped.
1954 J-11, wide-open on the M9.

Pre-War CZJ 13.5cm F4- just picked up one for $70, perfect glass, some wear in the chrome.

Nikkor 13.5cm F3.5, you must fine one with a 'C' engraved on the side of the barrel. Under $100.

Harder to find a good one for Contax:

Tanar 135 F3.5: must have a 'C' on the mount, hard to fine- but cheap.

Post war Zeiss 135 F4: you must look for one without separation. I put this one the bottom of the list. Hard to do.

There are others- but these are ones I own and have used.

Back