My 38 Contax II F1.5 - Start Up Advice Needed

My Mother found a photo of my Great Grandmother and Great Grandfather. I do believe he's holding the Contax II....

83404930-2764307333798290-2344962048087031808-o.jpg
[/IMG]

Lovely image of your great-parents. Is the lady also holding a camera?

He lived and carried it with him - recollecting memories like this from a photograph are revived in daily life when the Contax II becomes a part of your daily explorations.

Great photo! I have recently used a couple of woodwoorking planes that belonged to paternal grandfather, it was way cool. I wish I had a picture of him using the planes

RJ, It’s kind of spiritual now.... My mother says there were a lot of photos and movies taken by Great Grandfather that she thinks got lost through the years. Shame, I’d liked to see them. Feel kind of bad that I let this camera sit idle for 45 years but everything comes around in due time....

A few Contax tips.

Contax Claw- how you hold the pre-war Contax and Kievs. You probably already figured this out, or you are not focusing! Right Hand: index finger on shutter release; middle finger on focus wheel; Last two fingers underneath the right rangefinder window. Left hand more typical.

Always cock before changing shutter speeds. Not doing so may lead to lost shots.

If you are having difficulty composing (as you indicated), consider using a viewfinder. Personally, I prefer them. Many right eye dominant shooters have their right eye on the rangefinder window AND their left eye open scoping the scene. I have not tried as I am left eye dominant. Could be very useful for street shooting or shooting kids, people, animals, etc. I could probably do something similar with viewfinders (keep right eye open), but not as useful because you may not detect focus changes.

Lenses- Personally (and this is very individual), I prefer wide angle or normal lenses on rangefinders. The 35mm f2.8 Biogon is great (I have a post-war one). The 21mm f4.5 is also considered great- I have a Voigtlander SC Skopar 21mm f4 instead, and have really enjoyed using it. Of course with the German Contax rangefinders you will need a viewfinder to use wide angles (or any lens other than 50mm).

Great shot of your granparents, also. Really makes the camera special.

My vote is to use it!! Just watch out if you wear glasses. They'll scratch the lenses unless use the corn plaster trick or put it in a case.

Always viewed the Contax II/III as the first modern rangefinder. Great, under appreciated cameras.

I own three Contax II and they're a fun change of pace camera, although I'm not really a 50mm guy anymore. I know the provenance of two of the cameras, having purchased them from the families of the original owners. Not the same as having the camera from your own family!! But it's nice to have some history of these cameras because they're so very old. The world has changed a lot since the second half of the 1930's.

What great pieces of Art Deco craftsmanship. All that pre-war Zeiss stuff is so well made and looks just damn cool. Surprised more people don't collect the stuff -- old Ikoflex, Super Ikonta, Contax, ect.

The third Contax camera is just an early Z serial number which I'll probably sell to a collector someday. It needs new ribbons.

Let us know how you get along. I have the names of repair people.

Shutter seems to be operating at all settings. I'll check the lens out tomorrow. Any special cleaning requirements for lens and filters?
I was hoping to be able to shoot with this stock but the shutter release is too short. is there such thing as an extension?

2021-01-02-15-59-07.jpg

Cable release extension is availalbe now from B&H on line. It is made by Geipe and is rediculously expensive, but the only game in town. I just bought one. If you want one, better hurry. They were on back-order for a long time. It is about $40.:eek:

Back