My New Sony Nex-3 Body!

Blue Heron This Evening.

Blue Heron This Evening.

Nex3 ISO 1600 200mm F3.5 MC Rokkor Telephoto.
Effectively 300mm with crop factor.

Attachments

• blueheron1.jpg
    blueheron1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 0
More Nex3 Long Stuff.

More Nex3 Long Stuff.

This 30cm Minolta F4.5 MC Rokkor just arrived from KEH, in mint condition. Effectively a 450mm F4.5 .

Should be a good lens to use at the local bird sanctuary.

Attachments

• DSC04333.jpg
    DSC04333.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 0
Nice!

Nice!

Let me know how it works for you.

With my F adapter, and 200-300 zooms, I've found birding hard to follow on the LCD, but did get some good shots of the kids at school events at the back of the gym or wherever with a monopod, high iso, and fast shutter speed.

This 30cm Minolta F4.5 MC Rokkor just arrived from KEH, in mint condition. Effectively a 450mm F4.5 .

Should be a good lens to use at the local bird sanctuary.

+1

I pull my old nikor 500 mirror out of closet. Only hope for decent shot was tripod...

Friend of mine showed me some shots he did of moon with an equiv 1300mm. Think I might give it a try.

Gary

Two New Ones From Tonight New 24mm MC Rokkor.

Two New Ones From Tonight New 24mm MC Rokkor.

ISO 6400, incredibly dismal conditions. Note in the first image, the nightime streetlight exterior, which you can see, on the the extreme right. That should give you some idea of the quality of the lighting.

The Minolta 24mm F2.8 MC Rokkor-X is one of the sharpest lenses in the Minolta vintage wide-angle range. I -just- acquired a clean one from KEH in Atlanta, and have only today just begun to shoot with it.

I'm quite sure it will become a favorite optic for me. The FOV is perfect, whether shooting film or Nex3.

My ears are ringing.........

Attachments

• A&R1.jpg
    A&R1.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 0
  • A&R2.jpg
    A&R2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Uhoh7 your post at 162. Nice love it.
Gary

TY sir, but do i have one at 162? :)

Nokton48:

just got a 5n. sell your children. you must have one. I had no idea or conception the camera could be improved to this degree. And it is strongest for what you do so well.

You simply will not believe what it will do in low light.

I only got it by accident when the 7 was delayed, but I am in shock--seriously :eek:

here it is tonite with my previously unusable for landscape cv21
6336623588_228e3350d9_b.jpg

here's one from tonite with 5n + 35/1.2 v1
6336033893_fde943c971_b.jpg

Last edited:
Wow nice images.

Although I'm waiting for the 7 I might instead go for the 5N.

I'm more than satisfied with the plain 5 but really need an EVF.
( No fun if you have trouble focussing.)
the 5N really fits the bill but might also give more space aroung the VF than the NEX 7 provides.

The 7 felt kinda small when I had a chance to try it.:(
Tilting the EVF on the 5N might give more space.

@Nokton48 Nice to see those Rokkors put to good use.
I'm loving mine on the NEX.

btw does your adapter lock the lens securely?
Mine allows the lens to rotate further.
I can twist it about 5 mm past the point where it should be locked.

btw does your adapter lock the lens securely?
Mine allows the lens to rotate further.
I can twist it about 5 mm past the point where it should be locked.

I have two MC Rokkor Nex adapters, both from Rainbow Imaging. Both are tight, with no extra twist. I would recommend them to a friend.

I'm more than satisfied with the plain 5 but really need an EVF.
( No fun if you have trouble focussing.)
the 5N really fits the bill but might also give more space aroung the VF than the NEX 7 provides.

Unless you need/want to have an integrated EVF for robustness, and the control wheels, you'll like the 5N + EVF combo.
Plus when you don't use the EVF, you can touch the screen to magnify anywhere you want.

In broad daylight with other than the retrowide RFs like CVs and ZMs, the plain Nex-5 is just as good as the 5n in my tests. If you r use cornerfix you can even use those lenses anyway on the old 5.

But the 5n shoots them great, and is much better with higher ISOs--as you guys know. It's also WAY WAY quieter--which actually makes a huge difference for candids. 10 fps is nice too.

Plus it does not seem to go as high in the ISO as fast.

6346000397_7d9657a872_b.jpg

Canon LTM 50/1.2 wide open ISO1600

6346752664_f20873f737_b.jpg

CV 35/1.2 wide open ISO 1000

Last edited:
My test with the C3

My test with the C3

I was looking to try out a 5n, but no one has a demo model I can test with. So I put my chrome Canon 85mm f/1.9 on the C3 and have this test picture:

f1.9, 1/160th, ISO-320. Straight out of camera JPG

DSC00010 by DBMiller1961, on Flickr

In broad daylight with other than the retrowide RFs like CVs and ZMs, the plain Nex-5 is just as good as the 5n in my tests. If you r use cornerfix you can even use those lenses anyway on the old 5.

Have you had a chance to do much side by side testing yet? I've been surprised that the 5N shows better corners even with longer RF lenses, from what I've seen so far, although the difference isn't nearly as drastic as with the really wide lenses.

Have you had a chance to do much side by side testing yet? I've been surprised that the 5N shows better corners even with longer RF lenses, from what I've seen so far, although the difference isn't nearly as drastic as with the really wide lenses.

Hi Douglas--forgot to answer you, sry

I just went and looked over my shots with the nikon 28/2 and the canon 24/2, both SLR.

The shots are into the mountains from 1 to 15 miles. This, as you know, is pretty demanding.

If anything the n5 appears to be slightly better in the corners. I have not tested with RFs directly, but maybe I should.

These are shots around f/4 so that also may be an issue.

If anything the RF wides seem superior to the SLR wides on the n5n. These little skopars are really incredible in the center frame. My 21 blows me away in some of these shots---but not on the edges--however again I am up around f/5.6.

Here is the 35 skopar on the 5n
6361202897_812c8cca9d_z.jpg

check out the upper left corner on the full size.

I'm seeing this on nearly all my wides--but not on the 135, for example.
6361218695_7923964f78_z.jpg

thats the canon LTM 135/3.5 (full)

I suspect the borderline of infintiy edge performance is around 40mm---but you may be able to demonstrate differently.

Maybe when you get a chance shoot some of your 28ish glass at 1 mile + and take a look. :)

I unfortunately don't have any rangefinder lenses between my CV 15 and various 35s, so I can't check, but all of those lenses outside of the Nokton 35/1.4 do well in the corners. It could just be the particular designs of your lenses and how they interact with NEX. My Canon FD 28/2.8 is good at the edges. I'll try to pay attention to things at one mile to make sure I'm not crazy.

the M-Hexanon 28/2.8 is awesome in the corners, at least at f8 and thats what I use for landscapes.

well, it is also awesome at f2.8, at least at the center, as nothing is in focus at the borders anyway usually.

Testing the 30cm MC Rokkor out my back window.

Testing the 30cm MC Rokkor out my back window.

Shooting through dirty glass, and screendoor material, as well. Still, not too bad IMO.

Testing my new 30cm Minolta MC Rokkor on Nex3. ISO 6400 F4.5 1/800

I think it's cool that the wild deer lay down in our backyard to rest. They only do that, when they are relaxed and at ease.

Attachments

• 300Rokkor2.jpg
    300Rokkor2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Rokkor3.JPG
    Rokkor3.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
New Big Nex Flash. Anybody Using This?

New Big Nex Flash. Anybody Using This?

I could use a bigger flash on my two Nex3 bodies.

Testing at Midwest Photo, using ISO 400, and F5.6, the little standard Nex flash did not cut it.

Switching to the bigger New Nex Flash, no Problem! 2X-3X more powerful, I would say.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-HVL-F2...20723595580?pt=AU_Flashes&hash=item4aac9db13c

Anybody here have one of these yet?

Attachments

• DSC01128 (1).jpg
    DSC01128 (1).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back