New Classic Collection Nickel 50/3.5 and 50/2 Heliars

I have the non-Nickel version of the two Heliar 50mm lenses. I like them both.
The "problem" is that there are many excellent 50mm lenses available.

I totally agree about the unique rendering, and about the situations in which the Heliar 3.5 will display its characteristics. I have to be shooting at close range in daylight or near a window to take advantage of how it renders. Indoors it makes the M9 jump to ISO 1600 or worse. Otherwise it is too slow and I ought to be using a faster 50. But the rendering is lovely and very organic, even on digital sensors like the M9 and GXR.

For the connoisseur of out of focus rendering, the Heliar 50/3.5 remains completely unsurpassed in my opinion, even with the harshest of out-of-focus highlights:

graham_and_monica_by_philosomatographer-d58gul6.jpg

(Leica M3, Heliar 50/3.5, Kodak TMY400-2)

I am due to get mine in the mail Monday afternoon. These pics are getting me real excited. The only problem is that now I also want the 50/2 :)

My two Nickel Heliars. Great lenses and they look good too. Performance is top notch

Tom, does the f/2.0 version have any of the magic of the 3.5? Or do you feel the Heliar design was over-stretched to f/2.0? The f/3.5 has the most incredibly "solid", composed rendering - optically perfect, but with a tonal smoothness usually found in softer lenses.

How do you feel about the f/2.0 version?

Tom....I did not know there was a BLACK F2 Heliar...as on Camera Quest site there is no mention that there is one ?? Would be nice to know, and ask Steven about that possibility.

The f2 is collapsible - just as the m-mount one. We talked about this in Japan last March and Mr Kobayashi likes collapsibles. I had suggested that he make it as a rigid - but it would involve a redesign of the whole mount and subsequent higher price.
With my black one, I just leave it out and if I get one of Nickel ones - it would be left out too. I have the negfiles to prove that you can forget to pull it out and you get lot's of "bokeh" and not much else.

My CV Heliar Classic 50/2 came with the R3M body. I am using it a lot...both on 35mm rangefinders and on my Epsons. It gives a bit of a 'classic' black and white feel.

where is the distortion?

if the camera back is not exactly at right angles to the tiles...

I agree. It's also why the photo does not work for me. It needs to either be lined up perfectly (hard to do if grabbing a shot), or be deliberately askew.
When the composition is in-between with all those horizontal and vertical lines, it just looks off.

where is the distortion?

if the camera back is not exactly at right angles to the tiles...

No, when a line is straight, a lens should draw it straight, regardless the angle to it.

The line between the tiles at the bottom of the picture is curved on the picture. I presume that the line in reality is straight, so the lens must draw it straight, but it draws it curved. That is wrong in my eyes.

Erik.

Back