New film from Kodak!

I shoot film. I have numerous film cameras. Including Leicas. I've added to my Olympus OM kit, and bought another 4x5 in the last few weeks. I shot film exclusively for 40 years, spent half my life in a darkroom. But my use of film and enjoyment of film, aren't going to save it. And just because I'm hard on the "film will be here forever" crowd, doesn't mean I'm not helpful in other areas. You can't see the forest for the trees.

it's a tired tune Jim. nobody mentioned a lick about anything being here forever. it was a simple thread about a "possible" new film product from Kodak and we were all excited and trying to guess what it would be. then in you come with the "end is nigh" and the usual futility clap trap and GUESS WHAT? folks got annoyed.

just TRY refraining from raining on every single discussion having to do with film. for 1 day give it a go... please.

To get a rise out of everyone. Why else would a self proclaimed Black and white only shooter be in the thread talking smack about what could be a new color negative film.

Philly, it's easy to silence people on RFF. It's no secret here who I am. All the folks I've bought gear from here for sure know who I am. ;)

Yes, and all the posts you make talking about how much film you use show how full of crap you are. You post ten times a day every time Kodak is mentioned to make sure people know where you are positioned - along with the so-called "experts" who have cost Kodak so much money trying to get them to drop film production. Yet the only place Kodak makes money is film. How are we supposed to assume you are not an idiot or a shill for Kodak's digital competitors? Because you use a real-sounding name? Please. Nobody here is as stupid as you assume they are.

I doubt Ilford would try this because they make money being the alternative to Kodak without stealing Kodak's lunch. I'd guess you work for Fuji except I expect Fuji is smart enough to know how transparent you are and how dumb you come across. Maybe Lucky? The sad thing is I don't really think you get paid to post here. I think you do it from a perverse and misguided "service to humanity" that covers a grotesque vanity. Give it a rest. You make Bill Mattocks temper his posts. That should give you pause. :)

In this thread alone how many posts have you made? Every one is designed to cast doubt on the idea that Kodak would or should introduce a new film rather than a digital product. Do you realize that most here shoot film because they like it, not because you say it's cool? The fact that you don't realize but the people at Kodak and Ilford and Fuji and Rollei and Adox and Christ I could go on just makes you look dumb. How does it feel arguing that the avalanche isn't really there as you're being crushed?

I have a simple metric to determine if the person I am talking to is smart - Do they ask me to belive something stupid? They are as stupid as the line they'd ask me to believe.

End of post. I'm getting harsh because you won't shut up no matter how many people tell you to stuff it.

Last edited:
Let's discuss the original topic of the thread and quit analysing the behaviour of members. There's a couple of you seem to have a real issue with Pickett ... which I don't actually.

He's a regular poster here (occasionally controversial yes!) and can take as good as he gives and also contributes regularly to the gallery via images and comments ... do you?

So back off or go elsewhere until he's either banned ... or you get over this witch hunt!

Now, a true 1600 speed Tmax 2-1600 with the grain of a 400 asa and the qualities of the Tmax 2-400 as to contrast and exposure latitude - that would be something.

Hear, hear!

TMY-3200P is seriously past due for an overhaul. It's been what? At least 20 years? IMO it's the weakest of the 3 ultra-HS films. Delta3200 is the best, with Neopan1600 a close second. 3200P has a distinct look, but grain the size of golf balls and in my experience less exposure range.

Digital kills film in the grain department. Yes, I like grain and it's supposed to be there, but at times a little less would be nice (see the new TMY-2 400). You would think it would be in Kodak's best interest to introduce a new HS film that narrowed the gap somewhat.

It would also be good to see this sort of film in 120 format.

TMY-2 1600. That's what I want.

You may not have a problem with him Keith but anyone who does is free to say so, just as he is free to rip on color film from Kodak.

The reasons I'd like to see an Ektar 400 is more in the 120 format than 35mm admittedly; as in 35mm I can use something like Kodak Gold 400 (never really liked Superia 400 tbh, I love 200 though), consumer stuff but a nice colour palette.

Fuji 800Z is now discontinued in 120, and admittedly I have never tried Portra 800 but anyway which would give a bit more contrast and punch -- Ektar has a palette quite of its own, very different from Pro 400H which I love but is a subtle gentle lower contrast palette that doesn't give you the punch when sometimes you want it.

I am doing an increasing amount of RA4 in the darkroom/optical printing manner and not being a darkroom wizard, there are limited ways in my skillset to adjust a shot like you can when you scan a neg/slide in to your computer and then fiddle about with it to emulate other emulsions. So something that gives similar colours to Ektar 100 out of the box, in 400 speed would be a god-send for that.

Of course we don't know yet and it could be Kodak coming out with a new range of negatives wipes :)

If it's anything like the different between 160VC and Ektar 100, I'd expect something that is on the warmer side, not quite as neutral either. (There is an example of 160VC vs Ektar in my Flickr gallery of the same shot, same time, different film)

Vicky

Let's discuss the original topic...

Hi Keith,
I apologise if my post started that avalanche. I should know better in 15 years of using the 'net and forums not to bite. I guess I was tired of the same snarky comments that always seem to divert away from the original topic on this kind of thread and end up in personal comment flinging. I've noticed much more of this on RFF since the new year and I'm just a bit tired of it.

My mum always told me, if you've got nothing good to say, don't say it at all. And I bit yesterday, I had enough of the same snarky comments.

I'm not one of these film forever types because I've come to terms with the fact I am human and as a human, there is no possible way I could know, so I'll just bumble along and deal with whatever is served up as the days and weeks tick past.

Now I too would like to call an end to any witchhunt; you will know that isn't my style, I have the capacity most of the time to just ignore things and let people say what they like even though I may disagree.

But in return I would respectfully ask that these threads are not lead off on a slightly different tangent of the same old discussion, but rather try to keep as close to the original topic as possible, and an equal amount of respect for each other even when their well reasoned viewpoints disagree with your own. If I wanted to hear a stream of small petty name calling, I'd go work as a teacher in a primary school!

Oh and if anyone thinks I am writing this purely because I happen to be a film shooter, I'm sorry you are just so so wrong. I'm saying it because, well this is not aimed at any one individual but the general air within RFF of late that I, and others are feeling. I suppose we might be the minority though.

I read RFF for its photography related discussion because it's been good for that so far. But if it's just going to be dominated by snarky comments on film related threads, petty arguments and the same tired old beaten to to death discussions about film vs the world -- I'll quietly shut the door behind me as I wouldn't want to upset the status quo.

Have a nice day everybody,
Vicky

Hi Keith,
I apologise if my post started that avalanche. I should know better in 15 years of using the 'net and forums not to bite. I guess I was tired of the same snarky comments that always seem to divert away from the original topic on this kind of thread and end up in personal comment flinging. I've noticed much more of this on RFF since the new year and I'm just a bit tired of it.

My mum always told me, if you've got nothing good to say, don't say it at all. And I bit yesterday, I had enough of the same snarky comments.

I'm not one of these film forever types because I've come to terms with the fact I am human and as a human, there is no possible way I could know, so I'll just bumble along and deal with whatever is served up as the days and weeks tick past.

Now I too would like to call an end to any witchhunt; you will know that isn't my style, I have the capacity most of the time to just ignore things and let people say what they like even though they disagree.

But in return I would respectfully ask that these threads are not lead off on a slightly different tangent of the same old discussion, but rather try to keep as close to the original topic as possible, and an equal amount of respect for each other even when their well reasoned viewpoints disagree with your own. If I wanted to hear a stream of small petty name calling, I'd go work as a teacher in a primary school!

Oh and if anyone thinks I am writing this purely because I happen to be a film shooter, I'm sorry you are just so so wrong. I'm saying it because, well this is not aimed at any one individual but the general air within RFF of late that I, and others are feeling. I suppose we might be the minority though.

I read RFF for its photography related discussion because it's been good for that so far. But if it's just going to be dominated by snarky comments on film related threads, petty arguments and the same tired old beaten to to death discussions about film vs the world -- I'll quietly shut the door behind me as I wouldn't want to upset the status quo.

Have a nice day everybody,
Vicky

No apology needed Vicky ... I just don't understand why everyone seems to take everything Pickett says so much to heart. He's just another nobody sitting behind a keyboard venting his feelings via the internet, as we all are really!

Some vent more than others but hey what does it really matter ... there's far more important things happening in the world than what bothers us in our little microcosm!

Peace to all ... ommmmmmmmmm!

:D

Off topic but thanks Vicky for the new desktop background. "young lovers" has been a favourite of mine for a while now. Love the Kodachrome/Summar combo. Maybe Kodak will have a new color neg exactly the same as Kodachrome!! Ahh I wish..

Let's discuss the original topic of the thread and quit analysing the behaviour of members. There's a couple of you seem to have a real issue with Pickett ... which I don't actually.

He's a regular poster here (occasionally controversial yes!) and can take as good as he gives and also contributes regularly to the gallery via images and comments ... do you?

So back off or go elsewhere until he's either banned ... or you get over this witch hunt!

Heh- I've got no issue with Pickett. I did see a post that mentioned his first and last name, but it has since been edited. When I saw it, I Googled his real name and found a professional digital photography site attributed to that name, and I assume that was our Pickett. It was nice, but not Earth shattering, paradigm shifting, color and converted B&W stuff. No sign of the 40 years of shooting B&W film that Pickett claims, so maybe it wasn't him.

Personally I am bummed though. I had hoped that we had an actual 'photographer of color' among us. not to mention a celebrity! I'm really into Wilson Pickett's music - I'm gonna wait til the midnight hour, when my love comes tumbling down ..."

Having grown up in Detroit of the late 50's early 60's (the real motown years,) his songs were the sound track my youth.

Heh- I've got no issue with Pickett. I did see a post that mentioned his first and last name, but it has since been edited. When I saw it, I Googled his real name and found a professional digital photography site attributed to that name, and I assume that was our Pickett. It was nice, but not Earth shattering, paradigm shifting, color and converted B&W stuff. No sign of the 40 years of shooting B&W film that Pickett claims, so maybe it wasn't him.

Personally I am bummed though. I had hoped that we had an actual 'photographer of color' among us. not to mention a celebrity! I'm really into Wilson Pickett's music - I'm gonna wait til the midnight hour, when my love comes tumbling down ..."

Having grown up in Detroit of the late 50's early 60's (the real motown years,) his songs were the sound track my youth.

I thought 'Seal' filled that roll ... no? :D

Back