New Fuji X-H1

If I attempt to follow every announcement, I would have a hard time catching my breath. But the beat goes on.

Well, aside for IBIS, most of the improvements are video related, and the body size grew. Probably not many videographers on RFF.

I checked it out when announced, but it wasn´t that exciting to me. It´s nice enough, but I already own 3 current generation 24mp Fujis. This is overkill for me in all the wrong ways.

Yes, I agree with the general sentiment in the thread so far... it's a boring mostly video oriented camera announcement .

That said, If Fuji is now going to include Ibis in future models it would be welcome news for Prime lens users of which there are a lot of in the Fuji camp (hand raised).
Reclaiming a stop or two of iso in low light handheld situations with the f1.4/35mm or one of the "fujicron" trio will be great !

25% thicker waterproof coating...
5 axis image stabilization...
looks humongous...
much improved video capabilities...

and yet i remain flaccid...

Fuji said in an interview that the size increase was the result or the IBIS mechanism.

Yes, they did. But this seems odd. Are other cameras with 5-axis IBIS this large and heavy.

I will speculate FUJIFILM is working on a more compact, second generation system.

Anyway the X-H1 is a video oriented product that also benefits people who need to use IBIS with Fujinon XF primes or adapted lenses.

For me, the X-H1 is to large and too heavy and my goals are obtainable without IBIS.

It is funny how from copy of Leica style at beginning X came to another ugly DSLR style camera.

The X-T1 was never intended to be a 'Leica copy'. Sorry to burst your bubble. I find the IBIS on the X-H1 attractive, as well as the improved weather sealing, and the grip. I don't own a Fuji X-T2 and the day I'll decide to upgrade my X-T1, I'd prefer the X-H1 over the X-T2 any day, especially since the price difference between the X-T2 and X-H1 is $ 300.

The X-T1 was never intended to be a 'Leica copy'. Sorry to burst your bubble. I find the IBIS on the X-H1 attractive, as well as the improved weather sealing, and the grip. I don't own a Fuji X-T2 and the day I'll decide to upgrade my X-T1, I'd prefer the X-H1 over the X-T2 any day, especially since the price difference between the X-T2 and X-H1 is $ 300.

I don't think Kofe was referring to the X-T1.

I agree with his comment.
Fuji were alone in making desirable looking cameras.
Unlike all the other mirrorkess companies making ugly SLR
looking cameras with fake prism boxes.

Canon & Nikon have cornered the market in the
last 30years making ugly curvey big SLRs.
It is a shame to see Fuji loosing its design style,
and following the herd.

*Although the top LCD looks a lot like the Leica SL.

PS if your interested in video, ignore the online "review"
videos and watch the Fuji "city of light" documentary
on YouTube to see what the X-H1 can do.

-TC

It's the right camera for Fuji to release right now. Fuji has to compete on several different levels and video is one of them. Admittedly, the camera really doesn't appeal to me but I'm not a typical 2018 camera buyer.

IBIS is really nice. I've had several Olympus bodies with IBIS and it works really well. But I really seldom shoot in conditions where I use slow shutter speeds. And having come from the days of pushing Tri-X past the point of no return and still getting usable and sometimes pretty good pictures, I'm good with the high ISO performance of today's digitals.

everyone is saying its not good.

Not really.

It's good for people who need features required for high-quality video –*including access to FUJIFILM cine lens expertise.

It's good for people who need to use IBIS with Fujinon prime lenses and adapted lenses.

It's good for people who are ready to upgrade and are willing to use a larger, heavier camera to make use of the features I mentioned above.

Back