New Fuji X-H1

I checked it out when announced, but it wasn´t that exciting to me. It´s nice enough, but I already own 3 current generation 24mp Fujis. This is overkill for me in all the wrong ways.

Some nice improvements to the shutter. Better balance with larger lenses.. I like it so far :)

Jeff

Nothing could be uglier than that

Except maybe for some Sonys. To my eyes many Sony cameras look either cobbled together from mismatched parts or they look altogether unfinished.

And yet they apparently function really well. Ugly is relative.

Except maybe for some Sonys. To my eyes many Sony cameras look either cobbled together from mismatched parts or they look altogether unfinished.

And yet they apparently function really well. Ugly is relative.

I thought the new Sony A7R3 felt much more refined than the previous generation models. Still better than the SL

More refined shutter, IBIS, better evf. larger grip.......... better balance with 90mm and 50-140mm

It's also more responsive than the XT2.

There's quite a few refinements... Possible Fuji haven't listed all the tweaks....

I'm really impressed...

Jeff

I bought one. Here are two pictures I shot this morning at Belcrum Beach Breda. Lens used: Voigtländer 15mm f/4.5 with LM/FX adapter. JPEGs straight from camera (only scaled down), shot in Velvia simulation with Grain Effect set on "weak", Highlight Tone -2, Shadow Tone +2, Colour -2. Next I will try my Leica glass with more neutral settings, and also B&W.

DSCF0138.JPG

DSCF0147.JPG

How does an APS-C camera get that much bigger and that much heavier (it's very close in size/weight to a comparable DSLR) without adding a bigger battery? Same old NP-W126s! Sony got this right in the latest round of updates. Yeah, I know the add-on grip holds two now, but still!

Well, Fujifilm has directly said that they targeted not only video users, but DSLR users as well with this model. Per this interview...

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews...e-want-the-x-h1-to-be-friendly-for-dslr-users

¨According to Mr. Watanabe, one of the most requested features from Fujifilm's X-series customers was a bigger grip. The X-H1 gets bigger everythings, just about. Obviously this means that the camera is bigger as a result, but Fujifilm is hoping that this will make the X-H1 appeal to more traditional DSLR users.¨

Is that why they made it bigger?

From the same interview...

¨The X-H1 is considerably larger than its predecessors. Is there a point when the size advantage of APS-C compared to full-frame gets lost?

Professionals are generally more accepting of larger cameras, and [compared to DSLRs] the X-H1 isn’t that big. And we have had requests from some of our professional users for a bigger camera, especially those photographers that use our longer lenses. A bigger grip and more solid body were both requested.¨

From the same interview...

¨The X-H1 is considerably larger than its predecessors. Is there a point when the size advantage of APS-C compared to full-frame gets lost?

Professionals are generally more accepting of larger cameras, and [compared to DSLRs] the X-H1 isn’t that big. And we have had requests from some of our professional users for a bigger camera, especially those photographers that use our longer lenses. A bigger grip and more solid body were both requested.¨

makes sense...even though i am on the other side of that fence...the xe3 is perfection as far as size goes...for me.

I also prefer smaller cameras. So I'm hoping Fuji will incorporate the image stabilization into the next XE model.

Played with a friend's review sample. Very solid, shutter sound is almost inaudible. The E-ink top panel (that remains on when the camera is off) is a great addition, even at the cost of the exposure compensation dial.

The battery life is what bars it from true professional scenarios. They need a new battery!

makes sense...even though i am on the other side of that fence...the xe3 is perfection as far as size goes...for me.

I hope Fuji continues to make the X100, XPro, and XE lines. It would be a shame if they became another me too company. For me, the X-Pro line is perfection. It might not sell as well, but I think it is an important model for Fuji.

Back