New Fuji X-H1

Human suffering being brought to light also suffers from the criticisms that you mention. But I believe bringing the sufferings to light is better than not tackling them at all.

Re: HCB, I believe more credit is given to his work than he deserves. But that is just my opinion.
Re: Salgado...if no buyers, then he wouldn’t sell would he. And his wildlife photography is also exemplary.

There's no evidence to suggest that exposing suffering does anything to assuage suffering, unfortunately. It could be argued that Salgado's patrons are part of the problem not the solution but this is not the forum for such a discussion.

Circular reasoning on your part re Salgado's sales.

I assume you've seen Salt of the Earth. Salgado is without doubt a fine human being; he came to understand the implications of his own work.

btw, how do you get to know that there is some suffering ( and the severity of it ) anywhere. Your town, city, country, abroad?

Indeed this is not a forum for such discussion. There you are correct.

Best.

There's no evidence to suggest that exposing suffering does anything to assuage suffering, unfortunately. It could be argued that Salgado's patrons are part of the problem not the solution but this is not the forum for such a discussion.

Circular reasoning on your part re Salgado's sales.

I assume you've seen Salt of the Earth. Salgado is without doubt a fine human being; he came to understand the implications of his own work.

"The seven years spent making these images were like a trip seven centuries back in time to observe, unrolling before me … all the flow of different cultures, so similar in their beliefs, losses and sufferings. I decided to dive into the most concrete of unrealities in this Latin America, so mysterious and suffering, so heroic and noble." — Sebastião Salgado on his work 'Other Americas'

btw, how do you get to know that there is some suffering ( and the severity of it ) anywhere. Your town, city, country, abroad?

Indeed this is not a forum for such discussion. There you are correct.

Best.
Last off topic post:

I should clarify my comments are within the context of photojournalism as art. There are lots of good souls around the world that help other people.

Begs the question, how many others could afford Leicas and have access to high society during his time.

Fame due to socio-economic reasons, more so than his talent. Anything he did during his time was pushed by the marketing machine that was his high society friends.

You have no idea of what you are talking about. Your example of D Lange x Bresson as an example of privilege making one´s work famous is comical: Lange had the FSA marketing machine supporting her while Bresson was on his own.

HCB redefined what could be done in photography. You are free to dislike him as much as anyone is free to spit on Picasso or Jackson Pollock´s work but to say he had no talent is ridiculous. He is a genius of composition. No one touches him when it comes to composition and he was extremely fast on his feet to achieve it. If this is not talent nothing is. Lange is about something entirely different. Comparing them is ridiculous.
Bresson was in the surrealist circle.. if you think those are just wealthy people then the ignorance is comical again.
D Lange is a fine photographer but Bresson advanced photography in a way she didn´t. Period.

There is taste and then there is sillyness.

Last off topic post:

I should clarify my comments are within the context of photojournalism as art. There are lots of good souls around the world that help other people.

Bresson´s work precedes photojournalism. Cappa convinced him to give up the art crowd and create Magnum w/new parameters for photojournalism. OTOH Bresson had already published his first book.. the decisive moment, which is his impact on photography till today.

Bresson is so big, huge, almost like a father figure of modern photography ... that people take him for granted. The man is a true genius.

Take Salgado, as another example. The work reflects mastery of the subject matter and the art of photography. My opinion, of course. One can use the same equipment he used/uses. But very few photographer’s work impresses me as his.

p.s. check out J. Vermeer for the ' decisive moment '. Long before HCB.

Salgado did not invent anything. HIs work, as beautifull as it is, is derivative. Eugene Smith did all that.

Bresson is miles ahead of Salgado when it comes to composition.

Good intentions or ideologies nevermind personal income say nothing about one´s artistic quality and your mileage does not vary here. It´s about the artist´s work. NOthing else. Saying someone´s fame is not deserved because of personal income shows resentment not fair judgement.

‘Artistic quality ‘
‘Composition ‘

HCB invented nothing, either.

Composition? Just have a look at the paintings in HCB’s own city..Paris.
There you shall find the masters of composition. And in other places too. The old Masters.

And there you shall also find inventors of different forms of art. And also of light.

I don’t resent HCB or anyone else. No reason to.
If someone prefers to look at HCB’s landscapes..perfectly fine.

I prefer to look at Ansel Adams’...or Constable’s as an example.

Best regards.
Salgado did not invent anything. HIs work, as beautifull as it is, is derivative. Eugene Smith did all that.

Bresson is miles ahead of Salgado when it comes to composition.

Good intentions or ideologies nevermind personal income say nothing about one´s artistic quality and your mileage does not vary here. It´s about the artist´s work. NOthing else. Saying someone´s fame is not deserved because of personal income shows resentment not fair judgement.

‘Artistic quality ‘
‘Composition ‘

HCB invented nothing, either.

Composition? Just have a look at the paintings in HCB’s own city..Paris.
There you shall find the masters of composition. And in other places too. The old Masters.

And there you shall also find inventors of different forms of art. And also of light.

I don’t resent HCB or anyone else. No reason to.
If someone prefers to look at HCB’s landscapes..perfectly fine.

I prefer to look at Ansel Adams’...or Constable’s as an example.

Best regards.

HCB invented a new way of looking at the world through photography.

Painting? His influence as a photographer is huge, HCB images are not about light but the way he deconstructs street scenes finding interactions of shapes, subverting social and other cultural hierarchies. This is what art was doing then and still does. He made art photography popular without trying too hard.

Adams is on another dynamic. It´s not one x the other . You may like and be influenced by Adams and not feel inspired by Bresson but try not to publicly diminish a Giant´s work based on social morality ("oh... he is just a privileged wannabe"). Not worth it.

of course it is not worth it! We both are off topic.

You mentioned composition, I said there are many wonderful examples of composition in HCB's city. He was neither the first nor the last.

That he was privileged is also a fact. and that privilege helped him along the way..in no small way.
That he made good images, true. So have many others.
Yes, to me he is just one of others.

You think he is great, ok.
I don't.

No harm, no foul.

HCB invented a new way of looking at the world through photography.

Painting? His influence as a photographer is huge, HCB images are not about light but the way he deconstructs street scenes finding interactions of shapes, subverting social and other cultural hierarchies. This is what art was doing then and still does. He made art photography popular without trying too hard.

Adams is on another dynamic. It´s not one x the other . You may like and be influenced by Adams and not feel inspired by Bresson but try not to publicly diminish a Giant´s work based on social morality ("oh... he is just a privileged wannabe"). Not worth it.

Agreed. I bought the X-H1. IBIS is very nice. The larger size of the camera suits my big hands. I don't need more megapixels. I am not interested in video today but who knows...

xh1

xh1

Agreed. I bought the X-H1. IBIS is very nice. The larger size of the camera suits my big hands. I don't need more megapixels. I am not interested in video today but who knows...

Congratulations on your new xh1! There is a photographer named gol-G on flick river who has posted some beautiful, kind of lyrical, black and white images from Japan shot with an xh1 There's a special kind of quality to those images, finely detailed without being sterile.
Hope to see some of your work soon,
darya

Back