New Leica M Nokton 50mm F1.2

Seem f1.2 IS half a stop faster than f1.4. However, it can also be 1/3 of a stop. Lets hope the VC is half a stop , rather than one third. With 2 aspherical lens surfaces, and 8 elements, this is be a cutting edge lens.
One-third stop faster than 1.4 is 1.275. One-half stop faster than 1.4 is 1.89. For some reason, the convention is than both are rounded to 1.2. I would have expected one-third stop faster than 1.4 would be rounded to 1.3. No idea what f-stop the VC is to a couple of decimal places. T-number is anybody's guess.

Looking at the small distance between the f1.4 and f1.2. I feel this maybe the 1.275 rather than the 1.89, darn.

voigt_5012_proto.jpg

The new 50/1.2 is very compact, noticeably smaller than the 1.1, with great handling and ergonomics.

The new lens is predicted to have much better performance by modern standards, much like the 40/1.2,
yet some will prefer the more vintage look of the 1.1.

The new M 50/1.2 will be available later this year,
date and price undetermined.

Thanks!
Sounds like the same procedure as with every new lens at Cosina.
I can't understand why they don't announce new lenses (which are actually really great) only 3-4 weeks before availability. :confused:
After one year or so, many potential buyers are gone ...

How would you compare the optical performance of the CV 50/1.1 @ 2.0 and the CV 50/1.2 @ 2? Same?
With so many (excellent) lenses coming out for the M, which lens to pick here?
40/1.4 or 40/1.2 or 50/1.1 or 50/1. 2 or ... ?
The focal lengths are very similar. The company making the lenses is the same.
Is it the minimum focus distance that makes the difference?
Is it the coatings?
Of course, GAS is a major factor for many who buy yet another lens with a very similar focal length.

Raid, you are right, but the difference between the 50mm f/1.1 and the 50mm f/1.2 is quite big. The f/1.2 is aspheric, the f/1.1 is not. The f/1.1 cuts a large part from the view in the viewfinder. The f/1.2 looks a lot thinner (but I have to see the lens on a body in reality).

If the f/1.2 is free from distortion, I think I will buy it. As I am a analogue photographer, I cannot use Photoshop to eliminate the distortion.

The f/1.1 has no distortion whatsoever. The aspheric VM Nokton 50mm f/1.5 does have some.

Erik.

Raid, you are right, but the difference between the 50mm f/1.1 and the 50mm f/1.2 is quite big. The f/1.2 is aspheric, the f/1.1 is not. The f/1.1 cuts a large part from the view in the viewfinder. The f/1.2 looks a lot thinner (but I have to see the lens on a body in reality).

If the f/1.2 is free from distortion, I think I will buy it. As I am a analogue photographer, I cannot use Photoshop to eliminate the distortion.

The f/1.1 has no distortion whatsoever. The aspheric VM Nokton 50mm f/1.5 does have some.

Erik.

I think that if you have only few "duplicates", then getting the new modern 50/1.2 could be very useful.

Erik: If the 50/1.1 is free of distortion and if you must get a 50mm lens that is free of distortion and you are unsure whether the 50/1.2 is actually free of distortion, wouldn't the older lens be the one for you?
What does the ASPH add to your images? They look fine to me. People love them.

If the 50/1.1 is free of distortion and if you must get a 50mm lens that is free of distortion and you are unsure whether the 50/1.2 is actually free of distortion, wouldn't the latter be the one for you?

The f/1.1 cuts off a large part of the 50mm viewing field in the viewfinder of all my M's. I guess this is less so with the f/1.2.

This was also the reason why the first aspherical 50mm from Leitz was also only f/1.2. And that is my dream lens.

Erik.

f/1.2 is 1/2 stop faster than f/1.4

f/1.2 is 1/2 stop faster than f/1.4

Mathematically,
you have f/1
then 1/3 stop down is 1.12246 (round to 1.1)
1/2 stop down from f/1 is 1.19 (which you can round to 1.2)
2/3 stop down from f/1 is 1.25992 (1.26)
1 stop down from f/1 is f/1.414 (sqrt 2), which is rounded to f/1.4.

1/3 stop down from f/1.4 is f/1.5874 (f/1.6)
1/2 stop down from f/1.4 is f/1.7
2/3 stop down from f/1.4 is f/1.7818 (f/1.8)
1 stop down from f/1.4 is f/2

Note that while the f/stop is calculated on the aperture opening, the actual transmission of light is going to be less. That's why the cinematography lenses use T stops, for the actual measured light transmission. The old spherical Canon lenses such as the f/1.2 were probably T/1.4 lenses in actual light transmission (I'm guessing here, as I don't own any Canon 50 1.2 lenses).
The old f/1.4 lenses were probably 1.7 or 1.8 when transmission is taken into account, and so on.

Back