New Leica M Nokton 50mm F1.2

Another half year gone and no delivery time visible.
Strange :(
Any idea, why CV announces lenses they can't deliver in a customer friendly time frame?

I am waiting to buy their newly released Voigtlander 110mm f2.2 Macro lens. It suppose to be available this month but it's been delayed.

Here is a quote from a website:
"July 2018

Koshina Co., Ltd.

Thank you very much for your patronage from usual day. As for ”MACRO APO–LANTHAR 110 mm f / 2.5 E – mount” now, We have announced the planned release in August 2018, but due to the production circumstances of our company, Although we are sorry indeed, we decided to postpone the release date.

Read more: http://sonyaddict.com/2018/07/30/voigtlander-macro-apo-lanthar-110mm-f-2-5-delayed/#ixzz5PJF94nWI"

I guess Cosina is very busy with scheduling all of their product lines' manufacture.

KEVIN-XU 愛 forever;2830326 said:
I guess Cosina is very busy with scheduling all of their product lines' manufacture.

That's great for Cosina, love those news!
But they should rethink about announcing lenses before availability and not 8-12 month before...
Which seems "normal" for them the last years (i.e. my Ultron 35 VM)

I always thought that f1.2 was half a stop faster than f1.4. On you tube today on photographer was saying the 50mm f1.2 Nikkor let more light through than the canon 50mm f1.2?

Just found this, and there are other charts out there:
https://shuttermuse.com/f-stop-chart/

Seem f1.2 IS half a stop faster than f1.4. However, it can also be 1/3 of a stop. Lets hope the VC is half a stop , rather than one third. With 2 aspherical lens surfaces, and 8 elements, this is be a cutting edge lens.

I'm sure that I shall be swiftly corrected if I was not correct in saying so... but, here goes:

perhaps the photographer was talking about t-stop and not f-stop? t-stop, to my understanding is the light that is transmitted to the focal plane and not the light gathered by the front element (f-stop). When light travels through the lens elements, some of the light may be lost (?) so what might be f1.4 value of light gathered may travel and, as I say, some lost - ending up hitting the film/sensor actually a value of f1.5 etc.

Once again, take my advice with a grain of salt. I am not particularly intelligent.

some lost - ending up hitting the film/sensor actually a value of f1.5 etc.

Well, this concerns the amount of light that passes the lens. However, I think that the quantity of light that shines through the lens is not the main reason of existence of fast lenses: that is rather the small depth of field that the photographer can use as an expression tool.

Erik.

the 50/1.2 is surprisingly light and compact compared to other fast 50's
voigt_M_50_1.2_-32b.jpg

voigt_M_50_1.2_-12b.jpg

voigt_M_50_1.2_-10b.jpg
voigt_M_50_1.2_-38b.jpg

voigt_M_50_1.2_-14b.jpg

Voigtlander 50/1.1, 50/1.2, 50/1.5, 50/1.5, 50/3.5

voigt_M_50_1.2_-16b.jpg

Leica Noctilux 50/.95, 50/1, Voigtlander 50/1.1, 50/1.2, Konica 50/1.2

A very attractive lens I must say. It can replace both the 50mm f/1.1 and the 50mm f/1.5.

I understand that there are two shades available for this lens, the smaller one is shown here.

Are there more pictures made with this lens available? I want to see how it handles straight lines.

Erik.

A very attractive lens I must say. It can replace both the 50mm f/1.1 and the 50mm f/1.5.

I understand that there are two shades available for this lens, the smaller one is shown here...

Yes, the smaller one looks much better then the other.
It is the LH-8 from the Nokton 1.2/35 and 1.2/40

Yes, the smaller one looks much better then the other.
It is the LH-8 from the Nokton 1.2/35 and 1.2/40

The other one looks like the elusive shade of the Noctilux 50mm f/1.2. That shade was so big that the well known photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson did not want to use it. He used the quite expensive lens with neither hood nor filter.

Erik.

Not for me. I'm fussy. 50 = 1.4. Not 1.2 (not worth the cost bump), not 1.8 or slower. 1.4 = Goldilocks zone for a 50 imo. That said, I'm sure this lens is a little gem.

Ended up picking up a(n already used!) 40/1.2. AMAZING lens, loving it so far. I was going to wait for the 50 to compare both but I love 40mm anyway.

I’m very tempted to upgrade my M-mount Nokton 50 1.5 to get this. Does anyone have both that could do comparison shots or anything?

So, for anyone who has the 50f1.1 and has purchased the 50f1.2, is the upgrade worth it? I have owned the 50f1.1 for about six months and don't use it much primarily because I don't do the available light photography which would be the lenses strong point. And I like the size of the 50f2.

I don't plan on buying another 50 but am curious.

Back