New Leica M Nokton 50mm F1.2

Here's a video showing the image quality from inside the lens (around the 2 minute mark): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQf-ty1s7Xs

It would be great if they made a 35mm lens based on this design. Most people like the CV 35mm 1.2 except for the size and weight. I think a smaller but fast 35mm would be a big winner for them.

Here's a size comparison between the 40mm 1.2 and Zeiss 35mm 1.4 (same size as the CV 1.2): https://www.flickr.com/photos/143385549@N02/26896566818/in/pool-zeissikon35mm-distagon/

I'm using their newer 35mm Ultron 1.7 and it's a great lens but has a couple downsides:

- It's not 1.4 (1.2 would be great). In fact, the Ultron often feels more like an F2 lens. At F1.7 only the center of the image becomes a little brighter.

- The ergonomics are average. A wider focus ring on a thicker lens barrel would make focusing faster.

I like most of the CV lenses, but not their shades. The shade in the bayonet on the front of the 50mm f/1.2 ... huge!

Recently I replaced the vented shade of the f/1.1 by a cylinder that fits into the filter ring (58mm). It simply works great: a much better shading of the front element. No vignetting. The lens cap that came with the cylinder fits beautifully. The price of this cylinder (perfectly finished) and its lens cap was only EUR 8 if I remember well.

Erik.

43783308471_71e7452a97_n.jpg

Until proven otherwise, I don't really buy the "much improved optical results" thing.
With every new lens we are told the same and when there are differences they are usually small.
The size, ergonomics, minimum focus distance, build quality are an entirely different matter.
The 1.1 is really good. It's a pig, but it's for really special occasions in which I'm ok to haul a really big lens to be able to shoot 400 ISO in dark places. I'm not sure that having a somehow transitional option (a tiny bit smaller, a tiny bit slower) makes sense for me and my limited uses of such a lens.

This actually looks quite good...

Is the Nokton 40mm 1.2 - if that's the applicable comparison- good at all apertures as a general lens too?

i.e. could this new one be your only 50mm?

regarding a shade for both the 50/1.2 and the 40/1.2, I am wondering if the square hood of the Fuji XF 35/1.4 could be made to fit onto the lens. Yes, I know it's a different bayonet, but it also being a 52mm filter sized lens there might be some DIY solution. I'm not a fan of these circular vented hoods, I honestly haven't seen a considerable improvement in flare blockage from my tests with the one for the 35/1.4 Nokton and also on the X100F. If only the guy from Analogue Robot at Shapeways would adapt the compact v2 square hood for the 1.4 Nokton Classics - I use one of those on my 40/1.4 and it is just wonderful.

Last edited:
This actually looks quite good...

Is the Nokton 40mm 1.2 - if that's the applicable comparison- good at all apertures as a general lens too?

i.e. could this new one be your only 50mm?

I hope so, if flare control and vignetting are well controlled by f2 it should be a fantastic all rounder. I've tried the Planar at a shop and liked it a lot, that thing is razor sharp and barely any vignetting wide open. But I'll wait until the 50/1.2 is released to give it a try and get some feedback before doing anything (maybe not).

Bonus: on the M240 it has the advantage of close focusing down to 50cm using live view, which for a general purpose lens is pretty sweet (even it breaking the 'natural' way of using a rangefinder camera). I've always liked getting a bit closer with a 50.

Ummm, this is making things difficult in a first world problem way. 50mm or 40mm? 40 is available now and has a nice inbetween focal length. Not too wide like 35, not too close like 50 can sometimes be. I had a day with a Minolta 40mm Rokkor-M a few months ago and I really liked the 40mm focal length. I shoot with 50 much more, but obviously that's because I don't own a 40mm and yet have three 50's.

The 40mm is probably a more versatile lens, but the 50 will probably hit that 'C Sonnar' type of enjoyment, too. Decisions, decisions.

Is it just me, or is the bokeh a bit jittery here?

http://www.cosina.co.jp/gallery/oomura-50-1_2/04.html

Ummm, this is making things difficult in a first world problem way. 50mm or 40mm? ...

My first thoughts too!
Tried some days with my Nokton 1.4/40 from my CLE and decided to go for the new 50mm Nokton.
I'm missing the 40mm framelines in my Leica and beside this, 35mm is my overall preferred focal length.

On the sample pics I can not see if there is any distortion. If there is, I will not buy the lens.
I don't like chromed bayonet fittings for shades on the front of lenses. Could be a deal breaker for me. So maybe I just keep the f/1.1, a great sharp lens of classic construction like the Xenon and the first Summilux.

Erik.

Brian encouraged me then to buy the CV 50/1.1, which I eventually did. I will keep it for sure.

One reason (a small one - among many) I miss Tom A. - he would be posting samples - "I've been shooting this lens for a few weeks and I can finally talk about it..." ect.

Back