New lenses from Voigtlander - 40mm F2.8 M & LTM, 35/1.2 Z

I was looking for photos taken with this lens. I saw your pics (very nice, thanks for posting) but am hoping to see more pics soon taken with this lens.

Bingley, I think you'll have to be a little patient. The lens has only been out in N America for 3 weeks. That's not much time for purchase and delivery under current shipping conditions. Who knows how many forum members bought the lens. Eric mentioned that he had not even received his yet. For those of us who don't subscribe to the digital or hybrid end of the photo world there's the necessary time to process & dry film & then print...... As I mentioned above, I've had my lens for 48 hrs.

Bingley, I think you'll have to be a little patient. The lens has only been out in N America for 3 weeks. That's not much time for purchase and delivery under current shipping conditions. Who knows how many forum members bought the lens. Eric mentioned that he had not even received his yet. For those of us who don't subscribe to the digital or hybrid end of the photo world there's the necessary time to process & dry film & then print...... As I mentioned above, I've had my lens for 48 hrs.

Fair enough! I’ll bide my time… although I note that there’s already a Flickr group for this lens w/ over 80 photos in it…

Here you go Bingley......
I like the lens. It's found a permanent home on my CL. I just came out of the darkroom from printing off the 1st roll. The film was TMax100 (w/ yellow filter), which i've come to like very much....developed in Pyrocat HD. I printed in the style of Eric Van Straten..... (6x9" on 8x10" (Ilford Classic FB). The lens character (no surprise) reminds me of the VC 28mm f3.5 & the 50mm f 2.5. Crisp, good definition and very nice micro-contrast. A winner of a tiny lens in my estimation! (iPhone fotos of prints)
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4969.JPG Views:	0 Size:	163.6 KB ID:	4782547 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4970.JPG Views:	0 Size:	146.0 KB ID:	4782548 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4972.JPG Views:	0 Size:	187.2 KB ID:	4782549 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4973.JPG Views:	0 Size:	153.7 KB ID:	4782550

In that case, do you know why they dropped LTM in favour of purely M-mount lenses? I'd have thought that when making lenses for a relatively niche market, LTM would have given them a far bigger customer base just due to the added versatility/wider compatibility of the mount.

LTM fans do a lot of talking about how they love LTM lenses, but don't do a lot of buying.

M lens mount sales far exceed LTM mount sales for the same lens.

Not true. Marketplace fact for side by side sales of the same Voigtlander lens sold in both mounts.

I just know that if the 40/1.2 had been available in LTM, I would have purchased that instead. It would be an amazing lens on my IIIa.
Well, I’m just glad to have the chance to buy any new LTM lens in 2022.
I really hope we see a new version of the 28/3.5 in both mounts as well.

And I pulled the trigger, too, on the black version, which arrived on Wed. It is really tiny… not much larger than the Summaron 35/3.5 in LTM. And it will look great on my black paint IIIc. But I had occasion yesterday to take some pics of one of my favorite subjects… I like it!!

Leica M-E Type 240, Voigtlander Heliar 40mm f2.8 LTM, at f2.8:

04155314-DED3-4B25-AEE7-08E1C775007F.jpeg 7B0C114F-F061-4E94-B391-852DEA431551.jpeg

Here you go Bingley......
I like the lens. It's found a permanent home on my CL. I just came out of the darkroom from printing off the 1st roll. The film was TMax100 (w/ yellow filter), which i've come to like very much....developed in Pyrocat HD. I printed in the style of Eric Van Straten..... (6x9" on 8x10" (Ilford Classic FB). The lens character (no surprise) reminds me of the VC 28mm f3.5 & the 50mm f 2.5. Crisp, good definition and very nice micro-contrast. A winner of a tiny lens in my estimation! (iPhone fotos of prints)
filedata/fetch?id=4782547&d=1651242387 filedata/fetch?id=4782548&d=1651242424 filedata/fetch?id=4782549&d=1651242494 filedata/fetch?id=4782550&d=1651242533

Beautiful photos, Deardorff, and thanks for posting!! If the rendering of this lens is anything like the Voigtlander Skopar 28/3.5, this lens will be a hit!!

Not true. Marketplace fact for side by side sales of the same Voigtlander lens sold in both mounts.

There have to be far more M bodies in current use than LTM bodies, though, right? I buy whatever becomes available in LTM that I can afford (including this one - thanks!) , but certainly at least the average new Leica owner is buying M, not screwmount. I'm just happy that Voigtlander are still interested in making LTM lenses despite the low volume.

I just know that if the 40/1.2 had been available in LTM, I would have purchased that instead. It would be an amazing lens on my IIIa.
Well, I’m just glad to have the chance to buy any new LTM lens in 2022.
I really hope we see a new version of the 28/3.5 in both mounts as well.

I've tried to imagine the 40/1.2 on a III series camera and I think it would kind of ungainly. Plus focusing accurately would be hit or miss given the focus shift and razor thin depth of field wide open.

Got my 40mm f/2.8 Heliar a couple weeks ago (thanks CameraQuest!). I posted a few notes on it elsewhere:
  • The field of view lines up right in between the 50/3.5 Heliar and the 35/2.5 Color Skopar and it's about the same field of view as the 40mm f/1.4 Nokton, and wider than the 1.2 Nokton.
  • I'm really picky about distortion and expected to find it annoying but it's not bad. There's not none but even the brick wall test looks pretty good, it's just some minor pincushion.
  • Lots of field curvature. Wide open, the plane of focus curves strongly backward away from the center of the frame, enough that it will definitely need to be compensated for when not focusing through the lens, if the subject isn't in the center.
  • There's quite a bit of light falloff in the corners below f/5.6. Easy enough to correct digitally, but it will be annoying for darkroom printing.
  • The far corners suffer a bit, especially on the Sony with it's thick filter stack, less so on film. But not terrible, and better than the 35 color skopar for instance.
  • It is contrasty and sharp in the great majority of the frame. It resists flare very well without much veiling flare or artifacts shooting toward light sources. With an extension tube it performs very nicely up close.
  • there's some lateral CA (purple fringing), it's easy to manage in lightroom, but on color slide film I think t it could be objectionable. Longitudinal CA is very mild and unobjectionable.
  • "onion rings" from the aspheric element are minimal, and defocused point sources are rendered as discs with slightly brightened edges, deforming into "lemons" toward the corners.
  • It's tiny, weighs nothing, and the ergonomics are about the same as the 35 Color-Skopar. It's a bit less weird than the collapsible Heliars in that you can twist the hood to adjust focus if you don't want to use the tab, without changing the aperture. But you still can't adjust the aperture without disturbing focus
  • It compelled me to find one of the rare Voigtlander 40mm shoe-mount viewfinders, which is lovely but costs nearly half as much as the lens.

Attachments

• photo115013.jpg
    photo115013.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo115014.jpg
    photo115014.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 0
  • photo115015.jpg
    photo115015.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 0
You are shooting only on a Sony E ?

the glass is optimized for Leica M sensors, which also works great on film.

Back