[New test photos released] Leica Summicron 35/2 Eight Element copy made in China

Test photos @ f8. With the snow & rain still waiting for some light with strong shadows outside. Very satisfied with the microcontrast. M4 / 35mm replica / FP4+ in Pyrocat/ prints on Ilford Coldtone FB /Formulary 130. I'll be happy with this one for my daily 35mm user.

Flickr

Now that's really nice and has a lovely feel. I do think that stopping down to f8 and deliberately reducing the resolution capacity of the lens to half of what it is fully open makes for some excellent soft yet punchy rendering of the subject. Good to know it works, just as it did for the original 8E and the Summaron 2.8.

I would so love to have this lens!

Very quick comparison between an original mint 8e, and the LLL. Seems to me the LLL lets about 1/3rd of a stop more light in.

Shot at f2 indoors, and at f5.6 outdoors, the LLL seems sharper/has larger depth of field? I focused on the same thing (the little yellow excavator)

https://www.moerman.org/lll/

Maybe due to old lens has fogged or hazed elements?

Now that's really nice and has a lovely feel. I do think that stopping down to f8 and deliberately reducing the resolution capacity of the lens to half of what it is fully open makes for some excellent soft yet punchy rendering of the subject. Good to know it works, just as it did for the original 8E and the Summaron 2.8.

I would so love to have this lens!

Are you saying the lens is diffraction limited? Seems dubious, f/8 should be barely affected by diffraction even in the centre and the corners probably benefit from stopping down further, if everything important is even within the depth of field.

On the subject of lens caps for the replica..., the supplied one is loose and bound to get lost first time out. I found the Leitz-made metal caps a bit tight. On a whim i ordered the $7.99 Chinese knock-off and it fits perfectly (on my example) both with and without a filter.

So finally two lenses arrived. One is V1 and Second is V2.

Sadly both lenses are way too soft wide open. Tested on few different film bodies, will be testing on digital as well soon, however not a happy camper!!

I have informed kevin, waiting to hear from him.

those who have recently recvd their copies, Please share some images taken wide open.

So finally two lenses arrived. One is V1 and Second is V2.

Sadly both lenses are way too soft wide open. Tested on few different film bodies, will be testing on digital as well soon, however not a happy camper!!

I have informed kevin, waiting to hear from him.

those who have recently recvd their copies, Please share some images taken wide open.

I don't know how soft your lens is wide open, but it meant to be somewhat softer wide open.

Valdas,
soft enough to worry :) Can you share some images from your lens if possible wide open?

I am a film man! so trying to get my hands on digital to see where things stand.

soft enough to worry :) Can you share some images from your lens if possible wide open?

My LLL v1 is wide open neither soft nor hard. It is exactly how it should be. When your lens is too soft, something has happend to it after the manufacture. Maybe it was kept in a rain forest for some time.

gelatine silver print (LLL 35mm wide open) leica mp

Erik.

50630554892_46733ba3fa_b.jpg

Valdas,

I am a film man! so trying to get my hands on digital to see where things stand.

I only shoot on film, so I have no digital examples. The one below is the softest I can find (maybe some camera shake also a factor- the speed was really slow), it was surely shot wide open:

50342236898_31a2fdc8df_z.jpg

On the other hand, shot @2.8 looks quite sharp to me:

50371743408_5e764b0a76_z.jpg

Put it on a tripod and test from there with timer or cable..thats the only way you are going to know for sure..
Kevin tests these lenses beforehand..so it's probably fine.

My LLL v1 is wide open neither soft nor hard. [/I]

The experience with my sample is the same as Erik's. I shot the entire first roll wide open. Since Erik's photo is close up...here's one at infinity (any extra softness is due to the iPhone photo of the print....they really need to put a tripod socket on those iPhones!

51145336094_0be7c62eec.jpg

Flickr

Valdas,

Well, out of curiosity checked my lens on Fuji xe-1 wide open and I can’t really say it’s soft.

I only shoot on film, so I have no digital examples. The one below is the softest I can find (maybe some camera shake also a factor- the speed was really slow), it was surely shot wide open:

50342236898_31a2fdc8df_z.jpg

On the other hand, shot @2.8 looks quite sharp to me:

50371743408_5e764b0a76_z.jpg

Very nice! Def not soft.

My LLL v1 is wide open neither soft nor hard. It is exactly how it should be. When your lens is too soft, something has happend to it after the manufacture. Maybe it was kept in a rain forest for some time.

gelatine silver print (LLL 35mm wide open) leica mp

Erik.

50630554892_46733ba3fa_b.jpg

Erik, this is lovely. Crisp and very nice!

I got a Light Lens Lab v2LC 35mm f2 Summicron Copy last week

Overall, the Lens shares a similar tone to Leica Summicrion 35/2, with good enough micro-contrast, sharp in a relatively cheap price level.

I like using colour pic more than BW pic when using v2LC.

For me, the main difference between Leica Summicron, which can provide a richer image texture and 3D rendering.

But Light lens Labs 35/2 did a good job at this price level.

Light lens Labs 35mm F2, Leica M10D, TCP Vision3 500T film Preset

51192950371_500d886a12_k.jpg

Light lens Labs 35mm F2, Leica M10D, TCP Vision3 200T film Preset

51192950021_e8ff6150b2_k.jpg

Light lens Labs 35mm F2, Leica M10D, TCP K64 Film Preset

51192244627_7f6df8ac18_k.jpg

Light lens Labs 35mm F2, Leica M10D, TCP K64 Film Preset

51192949891_bce2fd5ba4_k.jpg

Light lens Labs 35mm F2, Leica M10D, LR10.2, Nik Sliver Efex2

51194015435_46b65dddc4_k.jpg

Light lens Labs 35mm F2, Leica M10D, LR10.2, Nik Sliver Efex2

51192244867_90d82521fa_k.jpg