New Version "Stealth" Monochrome

It's very similar to a Bell & Ross phantom I have.. All matt black, but amazingly bright hands and numbers in the dark

His rather clumsy handling of the camera towards the end of that video, especially when he goes to focus it, indicates to me that he hasn't actually used an M of any type all that much!

"It's an investment that I could hand down to my kids."

I don't really care what Leica does to stay in business but that remark is stupid ... but would have been less stupid if it had been a film camera. Be sure to leave them your toaster oven as well!

Yeah, Leica used to marked their cameras to last a lifetime and to be heirloom objects, but since the M8 LCD fiasco and M9 sensor corrosion debacle, Leica haven't been vocal about their cameras lasting a lifetime.

...and now the M6 TTL circuit boards cannot be replaced any longer. But boy is that Monochrom Stealth Edition pretty!! I love the knurling around the lens barrel!

Let's hope it won't be so stealthy that the technicians won't be able to find when they have to replace the sensor.

No, that's not a dig at the owners, it's a dig at Leica.

I've no problem with these special editions as it adds to Leica's bottom line and hopefully their long term sustainability in the world of photography.

And i agree. The special editions are good for Leica, they make their owners happy, and they don't hurt the rest of us.

Yeah, Leica used to marked their cameras to last a lifetime and to be heirloom objects, but since the M8 LCD fiasco and M9 sensor corrosion debacle, Leica haven't been vocal about their cameras lasting a lifetime.

...and now the M6 TTL circuit boards cannot be replaced any longer. But boy is that Monochrom Stealth Edition pretty!! I love the knurling around the lens barrel!

Mostly agree, but lets keep in mind this are being sold as collectibles, not as user cameras. These items will be forever and ever be stored on their original boxes, and they will be sold/bought as a sealed collective. No one will care if they are even working. Even more, they will worth less if they have even powered on. That's the nature of collectibles , and a market Leica is using to stay alive.

Not being sarcastic or anything, that's just the nature of collectibles items.

Just remember Jessie and Stinky Pete from Toy Story :D

Regards

Marcelo

The trouble with flat black is if you handle it, it doesn't stay flat for very long. So, even though it looks cool and all, and should be an optional finish (please bring back the Hammertone!), I don't know as it would be all that practical.

PF

The odd thing to me is that the kind of photography the designer does requires no stealth at all.

John

and it doesn't even take advantage of rangefinders. he's probably using leicas because it's fashionable.

BUT, it does look cool.

12.jpg

Screen_shot_2012-05-10_at_11_17_07_AM_detail_em.jpg

zymAc.gif

If you want to make your own, I have some Super Luminova luminous watch pigment I can lend you. I actually thought about doing this on my chrome-plated Fuji G690BL, but in that context, it's not quite as weird. :)

I write this as I wear a pair of Rag & Bone jeans (not that it matters, but I do like their clothes). When I first read about this new model, my first thought was 'wasn't the Monochrom already stealthy?'. The body didn't have the distinctive 'red dot' (instead replaced with a very attractive screw!), it was matte black, and seemed stealthy enough (or so I thought!). Then when I clicked on the link and then went to the blog post, I was expecting to see photos that would have required a 'stealthy' camera. Dimly-lit photos in a cafe, surreptitious snaps from a smoke-filled saloon, intimate captures of secret meetings in dark corners of the city. But what do I see? Swans. So Marcus needs to be stealthy to, um, sneak up on swans?

didn't read the thread but damn this thing is nice looking. black on black with lime green accents IM IN.

I would have gone with 80% grey for all the engravings and dispensed with hi-vis paint, otherwise very nice... except the price.

The standard black chrome on my M4-2 is stealthy enough. In fact the looks I get using a Box Tengor distract folks enough that they don’t notice when I release the shutter.

Stealth

Stealth

I think it's the coolest edition Leica has done in a while, but I think it could be improved if the glow in the dark lettering was black in daylight rather that white (not that I would've bought it anyway).

I must admit that I hadn`t heard of the designer but his design concept appears to have gained acceptance .
Maybe Leica will modify it in some way and bring it out in some form in one of its standard offerings.
I can`t help but feel that they use these specials as design exercises.

Back