New Version "Stealth" Monochrome

as a followup to this stunning glow in the dark all black stealth monochrome

Leica is suspected to be working on, would you believe it,

a chrome un-monochrome camera
that you can see in normal room light or day light
without special special glasses
that can actually digitally photograph color!

naturally it will be a special high priced limited special edition camera
for special back to basics photogs
who have tired of monochrome photography
In 1964, a reporter was asked what it was like to interview the Beatles, he replied, "They are cheeky but not brazen." Could the head chef be the fifth Beatle?

Couple-a-things.

First, I think it would be difficult to use the controls when you can't really read any of the engravings.

BlackOut.jpg

And second, instead of this camera being black-chrome, they claim it's painted with a special really dark, really flat paint. Well that's gonna look like hell once it starts brassing.

Best,
-Tim

Looking at the hot shoe it looks like the camera will be a limited edition. If so it will never be shot anyways. Shelf queens.

I've no problem with these special editions as it adds to Leica's bottom line and hopefully their long term sustainability in the world of photography.
I agree. I have no problem with these limited editions. I never could afford a Van Gogh but I am glad his paintings are out there to look at. This Mono is certainly cool to look at.

I write this as I wear a pair of Rag & Bone jeans (not that it matters, but I do like their clothes). When I first read about this new model, my first thought was 'wasn't the Monochrom already stealthy?'. The body didn't have the distinctive 'red dot' (instead replaced with a very attractive screw!), it was matte black, and seemed stealthy enough (or so I thought!). Then when I clicked on the link and then went to the blog post, I was expecting to see photos that would have required a 'stealthy' camera. Dimly-lit photos in a cafe, surreptitious snaps from a smoke-filled saloon, intimate captures of secret meetings in dark corners of the city. But what do I see? Swans. So Marcus needs to be stealthy to, um, sneak up on swans?

Same thing occurred to me: the disparity between the text and the photos. The photos I quite liked but the text is bloated and supercilious - a kind of stylised reiteration of Leica-the-icon playing on the history of the camera in the development of street shooting. As for the product itself, I am not sure how useful it would be to have a luminous camera - for street shooting? Or what? It seems a little bit like - "hey kids look at this neat glow-in-the-dark hula-hoop".

Finally, the concept of the camera as a fashion object, replete with the sage advice about "design" provided by photography expert Kate Bosworth simply falls wide of the mark when you take a look at the camera: big bulky and stocky. No match for the elegance of a beautiful woman.

Back