NEX-7 Review From Steve Huff

Probably too late here to drag this beast back on topic, but...

Phil on Luminous Landscape seemed very excited about the Nex-7 in his review, so much so that he has a caveat emptor at the end of the review.

Steve's idea that the Nex 7 should have stuck with the Nex 5n sensor is a good one for those looking for best high ISO.

Last edited:
...Steve's idea that the Nex 7 should have stuck with the Nex 5n sensor is a good one for those looking for best high ISO.
Maybe, maybe not. This is, I'm afraid, a breathless and worthless "review". Huff may be a nice guy but his 9,000 word review ain't worth the paper it's not printed on.

On the other hand, Reichmann's review of the NEX-5n on Luminous Landscape is not of much interest in terms of this camera's capability of using M-Lenses; nor does it have a real comparison to the GXR-M either. We'll have to wait longer for real and useful reviews.

—Mitch/Pak Nam Pran
Ricoh GXR M-Module

"OK guys...should be getting some wide angle Leica glass in THIS week to test on the NEX-7 - Voigtlander 15, Leica 21 Elmarit, 24 Lux and 35 Lux. Will do some testing between the NEX and the GXR and have it posted by end of the week. ALSO, a high ISO comparison with the 5n from RAW and no NR at all. Full size samples will be posted as well as downsized NEX-7 samples to match the 5n."
quoted from his fb account.

Where does all the hate come from? He is a nice guy with passion and at least what he is writing is his true opinion.

Last edited:
Steve lives from his enthousiasm. Critisism on a product does not generate sales through his links. Nothing wrong with that but keep it in mind when reading his reviews!
Nice guy sure ... but even a better businessman. He knows like no other how to market a website and make money from his passion. Like i said... nothing wrong with that. Just be aware.

Last edited:
But he always provides fullsize samples prior or after his reviews, so he gives anyone the chance to disagree with him.
I can understand all your comments about his nearly childish excitement etc. but that is part of the fun.

His samples are ok and there is always practical information in his reviews you can use in one way or another. And yes they are also fun to read. Just do not put too much confidence in his "opinion" or verdict about a product .. that's all.

How could someone who cannot write, let alone take half decent photos make a living by "writing" about "photography"? And has his own fans and devotees. This is just not right... Why the world has to be so unfair...

Yeah it is indeed unfair. If only anyone could start a blog... :rolleyes:

Yeah it is indeed unfair. If only anyone could start a blog... :rolleyes:

Precisely. Critics are a dime a dozen. People who actually stick their neck out and do something, less so.

As fir the NEX7, if its half as good as the 5n you'll be blown away. I've just got done shooting a weekend with my new 5n. While I dont like the dinky size and feel of the camera and the iphone menus, the quality of the images is remarkable. Better to my eye than my m8, although of course the m8 is a "real" camera while the 5n is just my pocket toy.

And the low light capabilites of the 5n are amazing for someone feom the film era who equates low light capability with Tx pyshed to 1600. Absolutely AMAZING camera.

Interesting discussion going on here about the NEX, with sidewalks to Steve "the excited", Ken "the final judge", Phil "the critical"... If you read the reviews of these three well known online reviewers, you should look at that articles with a feeling for entertainment. Don't take their opinions as the gospel truth and your decision maker for a piece of gear...

Nevertheless, Steve Huff's article was a nice reading and viewing on a lazy sunday afternoon. And I'm not envious of his job.

What an emotional, if not to say hateful discussion. It's about a USD 1000 gadget, that's all. It's only another NEX. How many NEX has Sony already released over the last 15 months or so? And if they keep up this pace, we weill have witnessed dozens of NEXes come and go in the next few years. So what difference does one NEX make in the not even so grand scheme of things. A digital camera from an electronic giant which has to grow top line year after year and thus is forced to crank out new gadgets every few months. The NEX7 will be forgotten by Spring of NEX(T) Year. So everyone, unknot your knickers. Go and take pictures.

I'd love to be able to make a full time living from my hobby, I can't. Won't write or teach, and my images are nice, but my ability to self promote sucks. I shall keep my day job and trudge on with envy of those who can do the above.

That said, no other camera that I have looked at has given me SERIOUS pause to getting rid of the Epson RD-1. The G3 crop is too severe, the Nikons are well just beasts, the Leica M8 has it's ups and downs, but not enough of a step change for me to justify twice the price, but within reach. The M9 has it all going for it, but at 5X the price, I made the choice to get into a MFDB as I shoot much more studio than street.

If the day job bonus lotto comes up this year, it will be a tough call between the NEX-7 and the M9. If the lotto does not come in, it's a simple call!

Dave

Well, why shouldn't it have one>?

Bloated files, diminished low light capability?

I wish they had just put the 5n sensor in the 7--it's the perfect size and quality for what I do. But I'll get the 7 for its handling and EVF.

No "advanced amateur" needs 24mp. Most professionals don't, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Why does a pocket camera need a 24 megapixel sensor?

Well, why shouldn't it have one>?

Because it will upset distinction between REAL camera and 'snapshot toy' that is so dear to many a commentator.

One thing that stood out from the Luminous Landscape first impressions review of the Nex-7: Sony is to be lauded for putting in features that other manufacturers reserve for a different price point.

I wish they had just put the 5n sensor in the 7--it's the perfect size and quality for what I do. But I'll get the 7 for its handling and EVF.

I think Sony should go in both directions at once (just forget the Nex-5 body). It's been discussed here before. Ricoh's M mount is actually best poised to realize the idea: One mount with lower MP count for best high ISO, one mount for best resolution/high MP...and, while we're at it, a third mount for dedicated Black and White. :angel:

Since I'm really interested in using my M lenses for landscape, I will be very interested in how the Nex-7 pans out. But ultimately my heart is rooting for the Ricoh, at this point.

Man, this is such BS. Everybody expects the best of all possible worlds in each and every camera when there is no such thing. The NEX7 still has great high ISO (jeez, we are very spoiled)... and this camera will allow one to print very, very large. It's better to have that capability than not. So many speak in absolutes in this forum, when it is only their opinion. Not everyone uses their cameras in the same way.

Personally, Ithink the constant increase in megapixel count has become tiresome. the 5n's 16 mpx gives you the ability to print 24x30 without rezzing up.

If thats not big enoufh for you, then I'm not sure whatvelse to say. Back in the darkroom days, 11x14 was HUGE.

Reminds me of the old saw: if you can't make em interesting, make em big. If that don't work, make them really colorful.

Personally, Ithink the constant increase in megapixel count has become tiresome. the 5n's 16 mpx gives you the ability to print 24x30 without rezzing up.

I get that and agree somewhat. What annoys me is that people are complaining about the NEX7 without using it based on specs and it not having the best high ISO in the world. The reality is that the sensor is still amazing compared to a few years ago and that we are spoiled big time if we are going to complain about the sensor in this camera.

11x14 was never considered huge when i was printing in the darkroom 20 years ago. Perhaps prior to that it was.

Reminds me of the old saw: if you can't make em interesting, make em big. If that don't work, make them really colorful.

if that doesn't work, make it HDR, and finally - convert to selective B&W (I've seen latter technique used even on front cover of magazine, what do they think).

Back