Nikkor LTM Nikkor HC 50mm F2... Wow, I am impressed

Nikkor M39 screw mount lenses
The F-Mount Nikkor-H 50/2 is a Planar formula lens, very different from the Sonnar formula RF lens. The first F-Mount "50" was the Nikkor-S 5cm F2, which was a planar formula lens with a negative element, slight retro-focus design. Very different rendition from the Sonnar.

Thanks Helen and Brian for your kind words. It's LTM. Still learning how to use it and loving the results so far.
It's always set to f2.8. Lovely pop, great shadow details, tone and gentle fall from focus.
Can't decide if I prefer the HC or my Summar... but the HC is the current live-on lens.

Here's another
4902216949_fb798d3210_z.jpg

Alex

Kick my butt. I had one of these welded to my Waltz Envoy in 1958and did not appreciate it. The film transport went, and the first camera became landfill.

Now have one for my Nikon D3 digital. Damn good digital lens too.

Truly FABULOUS !!!!
what a lens...what a Great EYE !

Is that or is there : a Screwmount / ltm Version ??? :D

Yes Helen, there are LTM/screwmount versions of the 50/2 and 50/1.4 RFer Nikkors. I just picked one up fo next to nothing--the 50/2 that is. I also have a Tanar Tanack Kogaku 50/2 similar to the Nikkor 50/2 in everyway, including sharpness.

In my experience, The Nikkor-HC is a faithful reincarnation of the Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm f2 Sonnar "T"- except in the proper focal length for a Leica and available in LTM. I remounted a wartime CZJ 5cm f2 Sonnar "T" in LTM, and have used both with film and with the M8. The coating on the Nikkor is harder and less prone to damage than the Zeiss, especially the inner surfaces. The threads used for the retaining ring of the Nikkor is the same as that used on the Zeiss optics module, also the same as the I-61. If I decide to remount the latest CZJ 5cm f2 Sonnar "T" in LTM, it will be with a Nikkor mount. Right now, it is shimmed for S-Mount and on the Nikon SP. I do not have a Collapsible S-Mount lens, my collapsible Nikkor is in Leica mount.

Here are some BW shots - Kodak 400CN (C-41) - with the 'HC, hood and skylight filter.... great separation and pleasing backgrounds as usual... I think I need a yellow filter though.
5179550787_1d4a082293_z.jpg

Now I find my Nikkor Sonnar GAS building again... most of my shots are indoor and up close. Would I get better mileage from the f1.4? or another Sonnar?

The Nikkor 5cm F1.4 is a bit "harsher" in the out of focus areas than the F2. It is sharp.

The Canon 50/1.5 is probably closer in rendition to the original Sonnar and the F2 Nikkor.

Me- I'm hooked on the pre-war and wartime 5cm F1.5 Sonnars converted to LTM using a J-3. Usually, the focus is good enough to use past 10m even wide-open. Stop down a little for infinity.

Wow, the prewar Sonnar is just amazing, I think it has the edge.
Thanks Brian, you're the Sonnar meister!
Here's another from the my copy you nursed back to health. Not sure if I missed the focus, or shot at f2, still happy with the result.
5221669273_984932770d_z.jpg

Saddly the secret of how well LTM Nikkors paint the light has been spread (I blame Kiu, Fred and Roland for this, perhaps Jon too) and the price continues to be strong. I loved them so much I switched to Nikon Rangefinders and loved it.

Alex great shots, wonderful subjects, you are a lucky man on so many fronts!

Thanks for sharing.

Alex,

You might want to pick up an old 24/2.8 and 105/2.5 for your D40. You can find good examples in lots of places and you might find it a fun combo.

Getting back On Topic, either a 35/2.5 or 35/1.8 would go very well on your Canon P, though hard to find these days.

I do so love passing GAS......

Excuuuuussssssse Meeeeeeeeeeee

B2 (;->

Back