Nikon 1: Post your photos!

Peter, well spotted! It is indeed the corner of Barcom and Oxford streets (Barcom terminates at Oxford St); just behind St Vincents Clinic. You have a very good visual memory.

This is taken at Freshwater rock pool on Sydney's northern beaches:
Nikon 1 V1. ISO3200 1/20 hand held @ f3.5; 10-30mm @10mm (27mm-e), LR4, no NR.
U27021I1378547116.SEQ.0.jpg

My X100 has started acting up sporadically, and my guess is that I'll be looking at an SAB fix soon. Of course, in the way these things are timed, I'm going overseas in a couple of weeks, and need a camera to depend on while I'm there. Unfortunately, I tend to practice serial monogamy with my cameras, so I didn't have a backup. Plus, with the Fuji 23 1.4 out, I'm going to have to think about whether to fix the X100 or move on to one of the interchangeable-lens X bodies.

I've seen some good work and favorable opinions about the Nikon V1 from some photographers whose work I like to look at - Joe Marquez, Kirk Tuck, Craig Litten, Colin Steel, along with the people posting here - and the idea of a compact with DSLR-speed autofocus and Nikon matrix metering sounded fun, especially at the current closeout prices. So I got one, with the kit 10-30 and the 18.5/1.8 lenses.

I figured a good first test would be shooting it in the flat hazy glare of a northern California afternoon. Harsh light, high contrast - all the conditions that small-sensor cameras don't like. I think it did pretty well; instant focus, consistent exposure (though part of the consistency is to overexpose in bright light). These samples are all with the 18.5; I'll try the 10-30 next, and also try some more interesting lighting situations. But I feel a lot more secure about the upcoming trip . . .

Peter, well spotted! It is indeed the corner of Barcom and Oxford streets (Barcom terminates at Oxford St); just behind St Vincents Clinic. You have a very good visual memory.

This is taken at Freshwater rock pool on Sydney's northern beaches:
Nikon 1 V1. ISO3200 1/20 hand held @ f3.5; 10-30mm @10mm (27mm-e), LR4, no NR.
U27021I1378547116.SEQ.0.jpg

This is AMAZING! That little sensor is performing quite well, wouldn't you say!! Nice image, Lynn. :)

thanks Jamie. I have trouble believing how good these files are when I open them in LR. I thought I was pushing it to hand hold at 1/20 but it had no trouble locking focus and nailing the exposure.

One of the things I noticed right off, developing my first pics, was how well the files take manipulating in LR - not like my previous experiences with small sensors.

I've discovered through accident that severely underexposed files process quite well to look like pushed film - this was underexposed about 4 stops and processed in LR4:
9798561333_58ebe68ae4_o.jpg

by lynnb on Flickr

Somewhere on Highway 1 near the California/Oregon Border
Nikon V1, Silver Efex Pro 2

9737245879_4786f92130_b.jpg

Another View and Slight processing Changes

9805162596_d7e34a07e6_b.jpg

In Vienna a couple of nights ago. Went to a birthday party in a club downtown. An unlit room with sweeps and flashes of colored light; synchronized the exposures with these.

3200 ISO, minimal on-the-road iPad processing. A very fun camera to catch the mood of something like this. Pros were there with 6 fps strobes - they got a different look, of course, but they were trying to sell to the party goers.

J3 night shots: I was trying to see how much flare I'd get shooting into the streetlights like this. In all honesty, I get almost this much with my DX-format 12-24 zoom. First one is Chicago's derelict and deteriorating St. Boniface church, shot with manual white balance based on the nasty sodium vapor streetlights that seem to be everywhere. Second one is auto white balance.

3x9s.jpg

am8v.jpg

I did a few Raw shots also. How can I open them? I have Capture NX and NX2 but even the NX2 dates back to when I bought my D7000 in 2011. It won't let me open my J3 Raw files. Do I need a new version?

Back